NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ei convertion 4 prestolite

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
HOLESHOT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOLESHOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ei convertion 4 prestolite
    Posted: July-19-2005 at 3:59pm
i just wanted to say that ive tried every type
of photo eye ei convertion in my 82 sn (cr 351w)
and it works great untill the eye get dirty and
it then startes to miss and ideal ruogh + yoiu have to find some where to mount the box and if that gets wet from humidity forget it . but i fond a solution . cranecams xr-i for the 57-74 v8
ford . yes you do have to modify your distributor
the kit is made for vac adv but you just throw that part away all you realy need is the unit its self witch is a magnetic dwell sensor that uses
the cam on the dist .

to do the mod first mark top dead center on the
dist remove dist from engine and take the points
and mounting plate out . remove the brakets from the plate so that its all flat . know take the
sensor moduel to the grinder wheel and skim off
just a thin pice of the caseing to give you room to adjust the sensor aline every thing up to tdc
and place the sensor in the dist with every thing aline set the sensor so that it is inline with a lobe of the cam mark your monting holes .
remove and drill and tap mounting holes assemble
with every thing lined up and drop back in engine . this is defanatly not for every one
but the serious mecanic. just giveing you guys some more info for ei conversion . this work great for my app, bucause high voltage was
wasting points and every ting else wouldent
last and this kit is made for exstream use
IF IT HAS A SPARKPLUG I CAN FIX IT
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2005 at 7:12pm
I have a suggestion forget all of the electronic conversion kits all together and buy an electronic dist. Mallory YLU-554-CV for the optical pick-up or a YLM-554-CV for the magnetic pole piece version and you won't have to modify anything. I have not seen a conversion kit that uses an optical pick-up, all that I have seen or bought all use a magentic pole piece for the pick-up. Also the Humidity won't effect the optical pick-up. All it is looking for is a pulse of light all condensation is going to do is spread the width of the light beam it will not change the pulse width which is controled by the window opening in the vane. Also what system uses a seperate box, all I've seen are self contained inside of the dist under the cap. Also why are you even missing with something that is for a vaccum advance dist or in otherwords an automotive dist in your marine engine.

The biggest mistake everyone makes on the electronic conversion kits is they do not read the instructions on how to test for the proper voltage at the coil to determind whether or not they need to use a ballast resistor so that the pick-up doesn't recieve to much volt and gets burned up becuase there is to much voltage going to it. The other mistake everyone makes is not resetting the timing after the conversion kit is installed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic