NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Impeller replacement?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
scottsims1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottsims1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Impeller replacement?
    Posted: March-14-2011 at 12:24pm
My 05 Air had the impeller replaced at 100 hours, I put 50 on it last summer and am going back and forth on whether or not to replace it befire the summer. Race City Marine (Awesome work) will do it for around 150 I think or I could attempt to do it myself. Thoughts?? It is the Direct Drive ZR6 if it matters... Is it hard to do? Do I need to do it this summer or wait?
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2011 at 1:15pm
Easy to do on my motor, I dunno about yours.

We have a 1990 Ski Nautique with 1400 hours in it...original impeller.

Most freak when they hear that, I plan on changing it this summer though. Always check to be sure it's pumping water, and I did check it last spring and it wasn't dry or gross...a little folded over yes but amazing for that old.

ps I'm not bragging by any means...I'm just telling you how long some can go lol
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2011 at 1:48pm
Just leave it and keep a spare in the boat. They are easy to change with just a couple tools. Replacing them annualy is a total waste of money. Ask Pete how old his impeller is.
Hint: older than most people on PN.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

84BF454 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84BF454 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2011 at 1:10am
Do it your self, It's easy!!!!! I take mine out over the winter, and install in spring, it will last longer and you can keep an eye on it !!!!!!
msa84bf454
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2011 at 1:52am
I replaced mine just after I bought the boat only because I wanted to check the condition of it since I had no true idea on when it was last replaced. Took about 40 minutes total but I had never done one before. Pretty easy. Next time it should only take me about 20 minutes. I look at it as cheap insurance.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2011 at 9:17am
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

We have a 1990 Ski Nautique with 1400 hours in it...original impeller.

Most freak when they hear that, I plan on changing it this summer though. Always check to be sure it's pumping water, and I did check it last spring and it wasn't dry or gross...a little folded over yes but amazing for that old.

ps I'm not bragging by any means...I'm just telling you how long some can go lol

Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

Just leave it and keep a spare in the boat. They are easy to change with just a couple tools. Replacing them annualy is a total waste of money. Ask Pete how old his impeller is.
Hint: older than most people on PN.

Both Mike's are correct! I got so many years of life out of one of my impellers that I forgot just how old it was.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2011 at 11:06am
At 50 hours per year, I'd change it every other year. I let one go until it failed and it went about 8 years and maybe 700 hours. They definately pump less water as they get old, even if they aren't cracked or broken. It should be an easy fix on a DD, although sometimes the impeller does not want to come out without a puller.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2011 at 12:59pm
If the 05' ZR is similar to the 05' Excal (which I believe it is) it is only a couple minute job to replace the impeller, by far the easiest of any CC I have owned.

Check out this thread on PN, nicely done.

Impeller Change Instructions

I inspect my impeller every year and change as necessary.
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2011 at 5:12pm
I change mine every 2 years or 100 hrs just to be safe.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2011 at 7:35pm
I change mine..when..I remember LOL..not every 2 or 3 years..or If I see higher temps than normal...
I´m puting 100 hours a year..
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic