Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Repacking Steering Gland

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Repacking Steering Gland
    Posted: March-05-2004 at 8:24pm
I have to repack the stearing gland on my 2000 SN. I know how to repack it, I just can't figure how to get to it. It looks like I have to remove the fuel tank as well as the rear seat and platform. Any suggestions.
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2004 at 9:30pm
the nautique isn't that hard to get to, but you have to pull the motor to get to the one in the torino or have three elbows. i don't know how your boat is set up, but i would think you could work around the tank.

whatever you do, have something or someone to support the rudder when you take off the safety bolt. i use a big block of styrofoam.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2004 at 1:43am
I have an older model and its pretty simple on mine. If your's is a v-drive I would think it's a completely different animal and much more dificault to get to. On mine I pull the rear seat and panel behind it. This exposes the fuel tank, blower assembly and some duct work. There is enough space to reach back under the tank and disconnect the arm attached to the top of the rutter then unscrew the jam nut and packing nut. Have some one hold the rutter or place something under it before unscrewing the packing nut all of the way. Good luck hope this helps.
1982 2001 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982 2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2004 at 1:51am
With a boat that new, I doubt that you would need to replace the packing gland. I would thing that at worst, it might need adjusting. To adjust, just loosen the "jamb" nut, and then turn the packing nut one "flat" (hex side) at a time. After each adjustment, check for leakage. That's the only reason I could see the need for adjustment on a hull of that age, unless the steering has been operated many thousands of times or had a factory defect. As for accessability, I would explore the possibilites of adjusting withour removing the tank. On myt 1982 "2001", the steering gland has never needed adjusting, and the drive shaft gland has only been adjusted once. Good luck.
nauti girl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nauti girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2004 at 6:06pm
On my '78 Martinique my rudder seems to have excessive play. If I grab the bottom of the rudder I can shake it side-to-side about 3/8". Is this excessive? does my packing need tightening? Are their bushings that need to be replaced?
Nauti Girl
--I think my husband uses his own login now!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2004 at 6:16pm
I believe you need to replace it. I'm sure some others will chime in though. I don't believe there are bushing that can be replaced if the play was up and down then you could adjust it out but side to side is bad news. Remove the arm, packing nut and jam nut and drop the rudder out of the housing and inspect it for ware.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nauti girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2004 at 3:39pm
I dropped the rudder out and I don't notice any wear on the shaft or the housing, but I DO have side-to-side and front-to-back play. The packing is old and dry, so I'll replace it, but I don't know if the entire assembly needs replacement. Anyone else have any input?
Nauti Girl
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2004 at 3:21pm
Just finished repacking the steering. You have to remove the seat, left side bolster, rear storage deck and Gas Tank. Then you have access. It uses 2 pieces of 1/4" Flax. I used Teflon Flax and the lube they reccommend. Make sure you support the rudder when you take the nut off or the rudder will fall out. Also Make sure you safety wire the 2 bolts again. Total time was about 2.5 hours.
Tony View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2004 at 2:16am
I do not see anyone really answering the3 question about the rudder play by Nauti girl above.

I have a 92 Ski Nautique that has significant rudder play. I tried tighting the gland nut, it help a little not a significantly though.   

So is there a specification on how much rudder play there can be?   If so what is it?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nauti girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2004 at 11:07am
Tony, I repacked my rudder gland with standard flax packing. I also removed the clevis and bent it to remove the play in it. While I had it out, I inspected the rudder for wear and didn't notice anything appreciable. The play is still there in the rudder, but I've skied another ~150 hours since the repacking and the steering is absolutely fantastic. I can steer with one finger at any speed and cut as hard as I want. Never any excessive effort nor any erratic steering, so I guess ~3/8" play at the bottom of the rudder is no problem. Hope this helps.
Nauti Girl
88skisupreme View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88skisupreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2005 at 2:04pm
I just dropped my rudder (stiff sterring, cable was ok) and there was some grease but no packing. It looks like it has two compartments for packing, do I pack both of them or is the top one just for grease?
a cross section would look kind of like this:

___    ____
_I    I_
I_      _I
_I    I_
I        I
I_      _I
I    I
I    I

its in my 88 ski supreme (sorry not a CC)
88skisupreme View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88skisupreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2005 at 2:06pm
the spacing got screwed up on the diagram I just posted, imagine the bottom two rows over one more space and you get the idea.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic