Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WW II vets.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
66Skylark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Skylark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WW II vets.
    Posted: September-23-2010 at 6:29pm
Andy - Good for you for making the trip to support the troops.

If anyone is interested, PBS has a great special about the troop greeters up at the airport in Bangor, ME. The special is more about the greeters – specifically three of them – than it is the about the troops, but there are some great moments seeing the troops come off the planes.
Here is the synopsis from the PBS website:
POV - The Way We Get By
On call 24 hours a day for the past five years, a group of senior citizens has made history by greeting nearly 800,000 American troops at a tiny airport in Bangor, Maine. The Way We Get By is an intimate look at three of these greeters as they confront the universal losses that come with aging and rediscover their reason for living. Bill Knight, Jerry Mundy and Joan Gaudet find the strength to overcome their personal battles and transform their lives through service. This inspirational and surprising story shatters the stereotypes of today's senior citizens as the greeters redefine the meaning of community.

Jerry Mundy (Who wears a 'Not so mean, not so lean, but still a Marine' sweatshirt.) is pretty funny and seems like a nice guy. They offer free cell phones for the troops to make calls on. Jerry tells them, “Talk all you want. Call somebody and make them happy, ugly or horny!” Jerry then talks about getting a kick out seeing a big mean old S.O.B. Sergeant get off the plane, Jerry hands him a cell phone and the Sergeant dials it up and says, “Hi Mom.”

I wanted to post a link to the trailer for the show, but when I clicked on it to make sure it works it wants to play the entire show. I'll post the link anyway. If you’re interested, it is about an hour and 20 minutes.

PBS - POV - The Way We Get By

Also worth checking out is Ken Burns' PBS series 'The War'. Ken Burns has done some great specials for PBS on baseball, the National Parks, the Civil War, etc... Ken did another great job with this film about WWII. He interviews vets and their family members about what it was like on the frontline and the homefront. Of course, there are all kinds of film footage and pictures from the war. The entire series is 840 minutes, but well worth the time to watch it.

Here is an extended preview of that series...
Ken Burns' The War

Sorry this post is so long... I hope these series interest you guys.
Kyle
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 5:55pm
When I was growing up, everyone's father had served in WWII. I don't ever remember hearing much talk about it. WWII movies and TV shows were popular in the 60's. Like most kids, I thought tanks were cool and remember my father saying they were the last thing you wanted to be stationed in. His best friend was a bombadier in a B17 and was KIA. We put flowers on the guy's grave every Memorial Day until about 1980.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 3:43pm
My grandfather was in the Navy WWI and WWII. 1917- 1949, I believe. Was in the submarines most of his service. Somehow, he never saw any significant action. I'm not sure he would have called it lucky. He just went where he was told and did what he was asked to do. My mom was born in Pearl Harbor in late 39. Grandfather was transferred before the bombings in 41. Nevertheless he was always very proud of his service and spent another 28 years or so working in the Naval shipyards. BKH
Livin' the Dream

skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

Very, very patrotic and gave me a renewed hope that this is a GREAT Country.

It is a great country, we just to get rid of the MORON'S running it!

You got that right Mr. Morfoot..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 3:07pm
Andy,
Enjoy it! My special love and apperciation to the vets we lose every year. Hope you have a great time.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 3:06pm
Great story Chris. My 2 grandfathers were in WWII along with my great grandfather. One was a nose gunner in the B24. Never did get to talk to them much about it. I was a little too young to appreciate a story from them. Sure wish I would have taken the time to sit down with them and listen.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 2:35pm
My grandfather is a WWII veteran as well. I've only heard of him talk about the war once, he said he was in the canal.....and that was it.

I picked him up from the honor flight and was very touched by the site. Once I finally found my grandfather among all the veterans he said "let's get outa here, I'm sick of being around all those old guys"......He just turned 89!

This is him talking to Iowa's Governor, Chet Culver, at one of the monuments in DC . They shook hands and Gramps said "You're a little out of your jurisdiction, aren't ya?" He's still as sharp as they come!

The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 2:18pm
My dad is a WWII vet . . . flew in the bubble, a bombardier, of a B17 before being shot down, he survived to become a POW. I have the greatest of respect for those men and women. My dad flew primarily over Austria, someone (an Austrian) wrote a book about that theater of the war and wrote my dad to ask questions about it. The guy had a picture of the tire off of his plane that was being used as a raised flower bed in someone's yard.

I think his response to war is what most of the vets were: He did what he had to do to get back home, marry his fiance, start a family, and live.

Evil is evil; it's heart is the same . . . to destroy, but the face of it sure changes.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

It is a great country, we just to get rid of the MORON'S running it!

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 1:27am
My wife & I just got back from New Bern NC airport. In haste I didn't bring a camera or even my phone. What a wonderful experience. The flights to D.C.to tour the mouments are called Honor Flights and are payed for by donations. New Berns airport is small and the place was rockin'. Lot's of young people JROTC, Scouts, ect... The 2nd Airwing Marine Corps Band played in the pick up / drop off area in front.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2010 at 11:35pm
I heard we lose 1000 WWII vets every day around the world , could that sound right? I am 51 when i was young the war had been over for 14 15 yrs I grew up hearing stories of atrocities bravery and hell on earth never a brag from anyone only pride and patriotism . i like to think of them all as john wayne
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2010 at 9:46pm
That is very "stand up" of you. I'm sure they will appreciate it.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2010 at 8:44pm
100 WWII vets are flying back from D.C. where they visited the WWII mamorial. I'm going to meet them at the airport @ 7:00 pm AND The Marine Corps Band will be there. - I'm on my way, I CAN'T WAIT!
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic