Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stuffing Box

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Ed View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stuffing Box
    Posted: June-28-2005 at 1:37am
We just purchased a "new" 1990 Ski Nautique. It seems to have had a hard life, but it runs well. However, the stuffing box for the drive shaft and the rudder drip excessively. I have searched this site and have a general idea how to fix the problems. Could someone explain this in detail? Pictures would be helpful.

Thanks
Ed
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2005 at 12:40pm
First try to tighten the large nuts (after loosening the jamb nuts). Do not tighten much, just a bit and see if the leak stops. A few drips a minute is ideal.

If you need to replace the flax rope, then I think the following is workable proceedure:

1. Cut any safety wiring and discard.
2. Loosen the jamb nut.
3. Remove the cap nut.
4. Using a pick/auger specially designed for the purpose or dental tools, dig out the old flax packing rope. Be careful so as not to scratch the rudder shaft or drive shaft in the process...or the side of the bore.
5. Install three seperate rings of flax packing. Wrap the shaft with the flax and cut so that the ends of the flax completely wraps around the shaft and the ends touch each other, but do not overlap. The three joints should be staggered around the shaft.
6. Push the three rings into the bore of the rudder port or shaft log.
7. Reinstall the cap nut and hand tighten. Maybe tighten a qaurter turn more with a wrench. Do not overtighten to the point of creating excessive heat while underway.
8. Tighten jamb nut against cap nut.
9. Install stainless steel safety wire (usually found on drive shaft only, not rudder).
10. Test drive and look for dripping (good). If not dripping, loosen cap nut slightly. Feel for heat. Much of any heat is not good. Warm to the touch is okay (IMHO).

BTW: You will need two (2) feet of flax packing rope to do both the rudder and drive shaft. I do not know what size flax you will need as I always just buy at dealer and they give me the correct size. Once you have replaced the flax properly, it should last many, many years. Good luck.
S.T. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S.T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2005 at 3:34pm
Maybe I can add a few things:

1. The local Correct Craft dealer told me that they've been using 3/16" packing for both the rudder and shaft since at least '86 (the year of my boat). They said they were absolutely sure. I ordered 3/16" and it was the right size.

2. I put 4 rings in my shaft box. I read that you should put as many rings as you can while still being able to get at least a few threads. 4 rings allowed plenty of threading for me.

3. I ordered this GFO packing stuff: http://www.e-marine-inc.com/products/gfopacking/packing.html

It supposedly allows virtually dripless operation because a). it is much slicker than the flax and b). it conducts heat away from the shaft much more efficiently than flax. It's also supposed to cause less wear on the shaft. Anyway, I installed it and it seemed like very precise high-quality stuff (compared to the waxed flax rope I've used) but I haven't dropped her in the water yet.

It cost about 6 times more than the waxed flax stuff but if it lasts longer, doesn't require adjustment, and keeps your bilge drier, it seems worth it to me.
Ed View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2005 at 3:35pm
David

Thanks for your reply. The shaft has a silver ring with allen screws. I assume that I loosen this and move it up the shaft. Then there is a brass fitting with a hex part on both ends, then a rubber boot. Is the brass fitting actually 2 pieces? Is the cap nut inside the brass fitting?

Thanks Ed
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2005 at 3:41pm
Ed:

Yes, loosen the ring and slide it up the shaft. The brass fitting is the cap nut and jamb nut. the hex part closet to the rubber hose is the jamb nut that you loosen first in order to remove the cap nut. The assembly is two seperate pieces.
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2005 at 12:30am
SkiDim has a new rope that just came out called "goretex" I believe. I just put it in my 76 mustang 17 and I tell you it worked great! No water dripping from the shaft and runs nice and cool!! It wasnt that expensive either.
S.T. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S.T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2005 at 2:02am
Jeff,

That's the same stuff I used but Ski Dim's price is much better than that of the link I posted. I'm glad to hear it's working well.

Here's a link to a long thread about the stuff:

http://boated.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=64064
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic