Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carb rebuild or replacement???

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
GABOY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GABOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carb rebuild or replacement???
    Posted: June-22-2005 at 6:48pm
I have a 1985 SN that has a 351 Ford that has been converted from points to electronic. The boat cranks fine when cold and extra gas is given to the boat. The boat then warms up very rough for a min or so, but after this the boat runs very well as long as I don't turn it off and let it sit for more than 5 min. If I stop at a beach or friends house, (for say 5 min or so) it seems that the boat is flooded and can't crank unless I give it full throttle. Is this caused by an old needing rebuilt carburetor or is this because my float is not floating any more? I just don’t know what to do, and I don’t have a dealer around here for 300 miles to work on it. Any suggestion would be appreciated!!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2005 at 7:01pm
Rebuild, no need to replace, use a holley kit and not some cheap kit to rebuild.
surroundsound64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2005 at 9:44pm
Definately a rebuild. A new carb would run 4-500. Get a Holld rebuild kit from a CC dealer somewhere. I just did that with my '81 ski w/ the holly 4 barrell. It's simple and well worth the $118 it cost me. Oh, make sure you get the metering block with it. That may be the problem in and of it self.
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

Looking for a 2000-2006 SAN
GABOY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GABOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2005 at 11:12pm
Ok Thanks for the information. I will call Woody at southeast correct craft tomorrow and order my Holley rebuild kit from him. Also I just broke my drive shaft due to engine alignment. I also just changed my plugs and was wondering what the gap should be on a 85 SN 351? So if I get these things straightened out, the 85 CC might run up in the mid 40s and help me get on one foot while footing.
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2005 at 10:07am
I got a Holley marine renew kit from Summit racing for 39.95 + shipping. No need to pay inflated dealer prices.
Bob Ed
83 2001
surroundsound64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2005 at 12:46pm
Ouch. The alignment is a pretty fickle thing. The engine and tranny has to be with in .03 of an inch and I believe the gap on your plugs is like .035 SECC would know for sure. Good luck!
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

Looking for a 2000-2006 SAN
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2005 at 12:55pm
Spark plug gap: .035" for points, .045" for electronic ignition.

I have never heard of alignment problems causing a drive shaft to break! How bad was it?

The hard start flooding problem is most probably the result of a needle valve not fully seating on either the primary or secondary side of the carb. You have two options: Either clean or replace the leaking needle valve, or rebuild the entire carb. You can tell which needle valve is leaking by looking down the throat of the carb either while it is idling or after you shut the engine off. If you see excess fuel dribbling out the bottom of the venturies, then the valve is not closing off fuel supply. After the engine is shut off, the fuel continues to leak past the valve and drips into the intake manifold thereby flooding the engine. The long the engine is off, the more flooded the engine becomes until the fuel pressure is depleted and the dripping stops.
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2005 at 1:09pm
Buy from ski dim, they give 10% off to board memebers.
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2005 at 8:21pm
Add a wedge plate....   Couldn't resist.
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2005 at 2:18am
Make sure your kit has a #65 power valve in it. It works great with a 351. Some of the older kits (they should all be depleated by now) came with a #25. It works, but boggs down on acceleration.
Oh what the heck, stuff a wedge plate under it
raygunclan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raygunclan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2005 at 4:01am
well, gaboy (there was a guy down the hall from me in college that i called that! but only because he shaved his legs more than me and i was sick of seeing his dark and curlies in the girl's shower!) i just got my holly carburetor rebuilt (national carburetors up in jacksonville, fl. they have a GREAT reputation) and had it installed on my 83 2001 (i was able to remove the carburetor, much to the amusement of my husband and his lazy friends, but a reinstall was out of the question!) by secc. they fixed some other little things and we were off! we drove the boat for about 10 minutes and the transmission started slipping. we trailered the boat and took her straight back to secc. they told me that i had blown a seal (hey! that's personal!) on the transmission and that the carburetor was bad. i told them that it was just rebuilt and they told me that they never recommend a rebuild, always a new carb. the short (but sad) ending to a long story is that it is going to cost me $800 to fix the transmission and about $500 for a new carb. OH! and i know i shouldn't tell this story, but when i took the boat in, i asked them if i had hooked up the lights right for the trailer. they told me no, but that was no big deal since i didn't lock the trailer onto the hitch right! DUH!
who needs a mortgage when you have a boat!?!?
SierraJB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SierraJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2005 at 6:59pm
Captan1 & Skyhawkflyer...love your sense of humor! If one of you didn't suggest the wedge plate I WAS! (ha)

By the way, I just rebuild the Holley 4160 on my 85...just by the book. Had issues of flooding, etc., just as you, GABOY. Unfortunately, the rebuild did NOT work. Invested the $40 and 8 hours (building and rebuilding, checking and rechecking) to no avail. My NEW carb just arrived today (about $400)...get this...PLUS A NEW WEDGE PLATE.

Hmmm....
IrishFooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2005 at 8:47pm
If ur gonna buy a carb u can pict up a holley 4160 from summitracing for a lot less than you think
1979 Ski Nautique
GABOY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GABOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2005 at 12:33am
Do I have to get a marine carb or can i just get a normal Holley 4160?
SierraJB View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SierraJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2005 at 12:43am
If you want to make the Coast Guard happy and live a long, prosperous life, you'd better get a marine carb! For the most part, they're not any more expensive than street carbs...and a whole lot safer!

I would agree with IrishFooter. Summit has a pretty good deal, as does Jegs, Michigan Motorz (where I got mine). Spend a few more bucks and buy a NEW, not a rebuilt, unless you know and trust the rebuilder. Lots of crooks out there today, so buyer beware!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic