Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Problem Overload

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ryan View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem Overload
    Posted: June-14-2005 at 7:36pm
1983 ski nautique 351 ford.

Problem 1. Just recently my boat stalls as soon as I put it in gear to drive. It starts to go then seems like its not getting gas or somehing.

Problem 2.The biggest of my problems is that the boat has a harm time accelerating. The boats rpms
will start to climg then they stay at where they are. So I let off the throttle and then they start to climb, then same thing happens. Sometimes it takes me like 5mins to get to wakeboarding speed(25mph). This problem gets worse with the more weight in it and the longer the boats been running. It almost seems like all the cylinfers arent firing cause it will sound awesome then back to sounding like no acceleration is going to happen.

This is all after I have to jiggle the throttle and my neutral lock to get the boat started. And on sunday I had to replace the solenoid because my enginge was turning over itself even with the ignition taken out. AMd I have to blow the speedometer line like once or twice a day with a compressor to get it working.

I think I bought a lemon. Paid like $600 replacing stuff as soon as I bought it and all these problems are getting worse.

Any help would be appreciated.
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2005 at 7:51pm
Sounds like you may have a fuel supply problem. Try the following:

1. Replace your fuel filter if you haven't already.
2. Check the output pressure of your fuel pump.
3. Accelerator pump in your carb could be bad or out of adjustment. If it hasn't been done in awhile you may want to rebuild the carb and replace the accelerator pump, secondary diaphragm and power valve.

Ahhh, the joys of owning an old Nautique
billgatesceo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billgatesceo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2005 at 11:44pm
Mine started running like that as soon as I replaced the starter. Got it starting great, and then it started running like crap.

I ended up doing more or less a full tuneup. Coil, points, rotor, cap, plugs. Then it would run great down low, but not get above 3300rpm. Replaced the plug wires (skidim was out when I ordered the other stuff), and wala, it runs perfect now.

Just knowing that all the basic stuff was new and in working order kept me from digging into the carb as I was prepared to do from the start.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2005 at 3:02pm
A full tune-up is always a good place to start since it rules out a lot of other guess work. Bad plugs, wires, fuel filters, timing can make it seem like carb problems so fix the simple/cheap stuff first. Then you can narrow down the main problem. I always start the season with a tune-up before it ever its the water.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic