Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

electrical

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rpernell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpernell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: electrical
    Posted: July-22-2010 at 12:23pm
Have 86 Nautique. Just completed removal of the engine and getting block welded due to freezing situation.
Every component was removed from the engine and engine removed. I reinstalled the engine
which went well. Now I have no power to dash. When you turn the ignition nothing happens. No gauge
movement at all. You can short across sol. and turn the starter over. The main circuit breaker on engine
rear is on.
Where is the best place to look for the problem?
rpernell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpernell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 12:28pm
Just went thru complete removal of engine and had cracked block repaired. Put engine back in boat
however I now cannot get any power to starter or dash. Battery is connected to solenoid. All wiring
seems to be properly installed. No power to ig. switch or anything in dash. You can short the
solenoid and turn the starter over. Any ideas on how to chase down the fault.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 12:31pm
I think it is an oarnge wire by the engine that is your positive to the dash.

But....

First thing I would do is get an ohm meter and make sure you have a ground at the dash.

Tim

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 12:37pm
Red wire usually from the battery side of the start relay (solenoid) forward through the 20amp breaker to the ignition switch would be a good place to start. Orange will be after the ignition switch. A lack of a ground will affect the stuff that's feed off the dash but not the start relay. It gets it's ground off the engine block so I'd say you have a main power feed problem. Check the wiring harness rubber plugs/connectors. They can get quite burnt up inside from corrosion.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rpernell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpernell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 12:57pm
I will check to see if there is power in that breaker in the dash. That breaker is suspect due to
the fact is pushes and disengages somewhat different that the other beakers in that row.
This power problem appeared somewhat prior to the engine re-build . This indicates this
electrical problem existed prior to the engine tear-down and very well could be a faulty ign.
breaker.
r.p.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by rpernell rpernell wrote:

I will check to see if there is power in that breaker in the dash. That breaker is suspect due to
the fact is pushes and disengages somewhat different that the other beakers in that row.
This power problem appeared somewhat prior to the engine re-build . This indicates this
electrical problem existed prior to the engine tear-down and very well could be a faulty ign.
breaker.
r.p.

That info would have helped at the beginning!

rpernell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpernell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 1:36pm
Thanks the red wire is the one going to dash power brkr. My problem
was so obvious i couldn't see it. I had the red wire connected to the wrong side of the
Solenoid. Kind of a catch 22 could not turn solenoid on with no power
and the power req'd was on the wrong post. Switched them bingo.
r.p.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 8:12pm
Robert,
Glad it turned out to be so simple. Yeh, it was one of those "forest through the trees" scenarios!!

Oh, the different"feel" to the ign breaker is most likely due to it being a higher amp rating than the others. More spring behind it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic