Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat Purchase Checklist/Guide

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Goober View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat Purchase Checklist/Guide
    Posted: June-10-2005 at 7:06pm
Please advise what items I should check for prior to purchasing a used boat. Any help would be appreciated.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2005 at 12:52am
Make sure it floats.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2005 at 1:00am
There are several things, I will list a few and others can probably add a ton to it.

Carefully inspect the engine/manifolds for cracks or welds due to freezing, see how many hours are on it, have them start it up and listen for noises and see if it smokes(compression check is well worth it), pull the oil dipstick and see what the oil looks like. If its very dark then the oil either hasnt been changed in a long time or the engine has blow-by. check the boat for wood rot(seats, hull, stringers), My favoite thing is to inpect the prop. If its all bunged up, then the person probably didnt care about the boat.
mrese View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2005 at 2:14pm
From PlantetNautique.com

Pre-Purchase Checklist

1992 And Earlier Correct Craft Boats

Most information for this article was taken from the PlanetNautique forums.

Forum member M3Fan’s information in THIS THREAD is widely used here.

If you’re considering the purchase of a Ski Nautique 2001 (Produced from 1982 – 1989), or another older Correct Craft, this article will give you some general information about things that you should check for before making your purchase. This article is not meant to include all items that should be checked during a used boat pre-purchase inspection. It is meant to point out possible trouble areas in older Correct Crafts. These checks should be performed along with any other necessary inspections when looking over a used boat.

All 2001 series Correct Crafts used wood in their construction, which can deteriorate over time if not kept in check. Well-maintained boats can still be found showing no signs of problems related to the wood used in their construction, but it is always a good idea to check the items listed below if you’re considering a 2001, or another Correct Craft built before 1993. Correct Craft stopped using wood in their construction in 1993.

The following steps should be completed

when inspecting a Pre-1993 Correct Craft for purchase:

* Open the engine cover, and you'll notice hex-head bolts, probably about 4 on each side, running parallel to the engine on the edge of the floor, on the edge of the engine compartment. These are lag bolts screwed right into the wooden stringers. Bring a socket wrench with you and try to tighten each one. They should still bite into the wood well. If they spin freely, the boat probably has some deterioration of the wood in the stringers.

These bolts also continue to the back of the boat under a removable floor piece that covers the prop shaft. Spin those also. Engine mount bolts are also a good indicator, as these attach to wooden mounts as well.

* Walk around on the floor and feel for soft spots. This isn't as big a deal as the stringers, but is still a big job to fix.

* Often when you see a boat with a replaced engine, it's due to improper winterization. When I was shopping around, almost every early 90's SN I came upon in the north had a new engine or short block.

* Drive the boat! The engine should idle smoothly and run hard up to 4400 rpm on the water.

* Make sure the oil pan isn't too rusty- replacing this involves removing the engine from the boat.

* Look in the bilge for fresh oil spots, as this could be a sign of leakage.

* The transmission should shift smoothly, and transmission oil should be clean. The transmissions on these boats are fairly expensive to replace.

* TALK to the seller. Have them describe parts of the boat and feel out their personality. This can tell you how well the boat was taken care of while they owned it.

* The prop should spin smoothly with minor resistance when turned by hand. Position yourself directly behind the propeller, and spin it by hand. Check to be sure the shaft spins smoothly. Any deviation could indicate a bent shaft.

* Electronic ignition is a good thing, although not offered from the factory on these boats. You may want to look for one that has been converted.

Barr 68 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barr 68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2005 at 3:04pm
Take the boat to a truck scale and weigh it . Compare its current weigh with the weight listed in the factory specs. If it weighs substantially more (taking into account trailer , fuel weight, ect.) then you can safely assume the boat has water logged foam and most likely at least some rot in the floor,stringers, and cross members. Water logged boats are expensive and a pain to fix. If you are handy with tools and enjoy restoration work ,great.If not you are better off looking for another boat in better shape. The voice of experience. Good luck
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2005 at 3:15pm
Yep Goober. Barr 68 is right on. I work on my '68 as much as I drive it. But that's why I bought it. I derive much pleasure from it driving it and working on it. If you don't like working on your boat you better buy a late model. The good thing about the '60s models is that they are fairly simple and you get the bonus of ooohhhhss and aaahhhs at the marina. You should see the people gather around at the marina when I raise the motor box and they see the blue and chrome V8 planted inside the small CC. I'm sure I'm not the only one that gets a lot of this.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic