Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Recoil Tubes

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
todda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recoil Tubes
    Posted: June-04-2005 at 2:48pm
Just a quick reminder:
Two weeks ago, our ski club was at a private lake, and with many skiers, we were exchanging ropes in/out of the boat frequently, and not using a shock tube. I had a handle recoil back into the boat and nail an 8 y.o. girl sitting in the observer's seat, fracturing her skull. Luckily, she is out of the hospital and doing better, but it is a good lesson for all of us to use a tube, as much of a pain as it might be, it just may save a big headache and a dent in your forehead!
Todd
Todd
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2005 at 3:34pm
WOW! Thanks for the info. Guess that is why I use a non stretch rope!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2005 at 11:46pm
Awful awful, we wish her best.

Not so severe, but one ride my rope flung round my driver's neck and the rope also slammed the boat in reverse at course speed, horrendous noise and scare.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2005 at 12:35am
Glad everyone turned out to be OK. I was skiing with a cheap rope last year and had it fly out front of the boat(my neighbors Ski Centurion) and ran right over it. It got caught in the prop. What a mess!!! It all happened so fast all he remembers is seeing something fly by his head. No more cheap ropes!
todda View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2005 at 4:07am
yeah, I know what you mean Jeff, but actually, I wasn't using a cheap rope, but my Masterline 8-sect switch. I am really not sure that a recoil tube would have made any difference, but after-the-fact, you question anything else that could have been done. It does happen pretty darn fast though, doesn't it?!
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2005 at 3:44pm
They also come in handy when your boat driver can't keep the rope out of the ladder and that other tubing back there. They can grab the shock tube and untangle the rope from the driver seat. I'm the only one in my family that has figured out not to let slack in the rope until you get the rope to one side when you slow down to stop and repull someone.
Tim D
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2005 at 12:03am
todda.
Check out planetnautique.com general discussion forum on shock tubes. We all sympathize w/you. We hope your little girl will be o.k. These things can have a lasting affect on them wanting to "get back in the saddle" if you will. Take care,
Nautiques,"Live It"
DAWG 99NSS
Dawg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic