Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Digital guages

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kgood120 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgood120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Digital guages
    Posted: May-24-2010 at 10:56pm
Check out ride in the 2001 sport nautique on Sunday. Gt-40 motor ran sweet, nice idle, strong all the way up the rpm band. All the critical readings looked good. Phew, I was sweatin it buying this thing sight unseen. Now for a minor problem - the digital tach and speedo have very dim and partial digits. This sucks when trying to maintain some consistent speed.

Anbody ever see this problem?
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 11:28pm
Digital gauges were a known point of failure on these boats. They replaced them for free for a long time, but Teleflex finally quite making them. On my 2001, they were replaced 3 or 4 times before I gave up.

Most people replace with Faria gauges. They set you back a bit, but they work. Some have been replacing with other types of gauges.

By the way, what color are the rings on your gauges. 2001 came with black rings, but most of the replacements were silver/gray rings. If yours are silver/gray, they've already been replaced. Unfortunately, when you replace the gauges, the hour meter goes away as well. I've seen a lot of boats for sale showing low hours, and when I look at the boat, I know the gauges have been replaced and the owner either doesn't know, or isn't telling the truth.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

kgood120 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgood120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2010 at 12:14am
Mine have black rims. Are the farias or others easy to install?
kgood120 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgood120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2010 at 12:22am
Also, what model of fario guage would replace it? Does it drop in or is some dash modification needed. My guess is that the hours on the oat (137) is correct. Everything has had light use. I can't believe they would install such a crappy guage on this kind of boat. The readout numbers are thin and faded.
Thanks for the help
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2010 at 1:02am
Well, they didn't know they were crappy when they installed them. They were supposed to be "new and improved" . After about 3 years they dropped them.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you how to do the install. I paid the dealer handsomely, as I didn't have time back then. I know several have done the install themselves. I think perhaps Scottb on this forum. There have been many who have installed them on planetnautique.com. There should be a few writeups as to how to do the install on that forum.

There is no dash mod require, but it's not just a plug and play. There is some work in connecting into the pickups, or so I've read.

If you have the black rings, you probably have the original gauges and hour meter. That's good. I would keep them just in case the next owner wants the originals, and to prove the hours. I wish I had done so.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2010 at 3:06am
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

I would keep them just in case the next owner wants the originals, and to prove the hours. I wish I had done so.

Would a dealer not be able to plug into the GT40 EFI module to determine correct hours anyway.?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2010 at 3:10am
I've been told by lots of people you can't get that reading from the Ford computer. You can get the hours on the Chevy. BKH
Livin' the Dream

scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 7:26pm
You can buy the replacement Faria gauges from your Correct Craft dealer at a pretty reasonable price. The instructions are included, and they are pretty straight forward.

Here is a link to the procedure on Planet Nautique.
dsums View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsums Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 9:55pm
I had to replace the gauges on my 2001 196. I went with a single Faria speedo and tach. Replacing the gauges in the dash pod itself is easy but I didn't have the courage to cut the 2" hole in the bottom of my hull to put the pickup wheel in. I paid the dealer to cut the hole and mount the wheel and I did the rest. I think they charged me an hour labour. Well worth it to my peace of mind. I used a hand held GPS to dial in the speedo when we were done.
I keep a maintenace and repair log book in my boat and I just wrote how many hours were on the old gauge at the time I swapped them out. This would let people know the hours on the new gauge are not original when and if I decide to sell.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic