Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

impeller removal

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rithmetic man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rithmetic man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: impeller removal
    Posted: May-15-2010 at 2:35am
I need some information on the removal and replacement of the impeller in a 302 Indmar on my sn. The vanes on the one currently installed appear to be disintegrating. How is the impeller removed from the splined shaft?
"Life is hard; It's harder if you're stupid...Pilgrim..."

John Wayne

1965 Nautique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2010 at 9:30am
Wayne,
The impeller simply slides on. No set screws or anything holding it but, Jabsco and Sherwood do make a pullers to make it easier if you want to go that route. Since you're putting a new one in, I suggest just going at it with a couple of screw drivers and pry it out or grab it with vise grips. They get about $70 for the puller!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2010 at 12:09pm
Just be careful when using the screwdriver method and don't burr up the housing.If you have some 5/16" hose,3/8" any scraps laying around,cut some and put on the shafts of your screwdrivers when you go to prying it up and out.Don't go to deep at first to get that bite!Go ahead and put some Dawn or something in there to help it slide out a little.Take small bites and she'll pop right out for ya.Wipe it down,make sure it's all smooth inside,lube the new one up with some Dawn(or Astroglide) whatever's available,maybe a 2nd person would come in handy on putting it back in .It'll be slippery, but kinda twist to get it turning to catch your splines, then when it engages, push down as your twisting or the other person turns the pulley end.Snug as a bug then.
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rithmetic man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2010 at 1:25pm
I spoke with a guy at Skidim last week while trying to order a new impeller and there was some question about which model number was correct. The major difference was that one was a bit wider than the other. With that in mind the cover on the raw water pump(?) housing which holds the impeller was severely scalded a brown color which I buffed off. After removing both water lines from the housing it was obvious that some of the vanes from the impeller were broken off and just laying inside the housing with the bottom of the lower hose blown out. Could these rubber fragments get into a place that I now need to check or clean out and is there another issue which needs to be addressed? Thanks for all your help getting this great classic boat back in fighting shape, especially the previous prop and rpm issues. I bought and installed the OJ 12 x 13 as suggested, replaced the strut bushings, rebuilt the carb, and took it to Race City Marine in Mooresville to have the throttle linkage adjusted. I was amazed with just the prop change. It can only get better. Thanks again for the prompt responses.

John Wayne

1965 Nautique

MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2010 at 2:18pm
Yeah, mine's the skinny one,I say, of course mine is keyed.Just count all the ones missing or broken,match 'em all back up, and hope they're all there.It might get a little messy,but shoot some water through your hoses and see(high Pressure) spray nozzle on garden hose not pressure washer!, if anything else comes out the exhaust.Just kinda like backflushing.Also make sure of no major pitting on the inside of your housing or cam,have you taken the screw loose to take out the cam?,and just clean behind there too.Put some pics up for future CCFans that want to tackle this.
And don't forget we need to hook-up one weekend.
Later

Marty
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rithmetic man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2010 at 2:55pm
I just finished. I really thought it had seized but the vice grips brought it out pretty easily. The housing looked good but I did not read your post until after I was finished. I did not mess with the cam. It ran very good last season and twice this season already with the old impeller. The scalded face plate kind of scared me. We live in Burlington, my son lives at Lake Tillery. We would be glad to get together with your family at the lake anytime. The sandbar is open year round. Just give me a call. 336-266-0664 Wayne

John Wayne

1965 Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic