Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - no fuel to carb on 79 mustang with 228 merc (305)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

no fuel to carb on 79 mustang with 228 merc (305)

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
leroy5245 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leroy5245 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: no fuel to carb on 79 mustang with 228 merc (305)
    Posted: April-27-2010 at 12:56pm
SO! after restoring the interior of my 79' mustang we placed the rebuilt 305 (rebuilt two years ago and not ran since) back in the boat and prepped. crank for some time and no fire. place a lil gas in the carb and fires right up.......so its a fuel prob. disconnect the fuel line from the fuel filter and give it a lil sucky sucky and no prob gasoline in my mouth! I'm thinking its the fuel pump but that seems peculiar seeing as how there wasnt any wear on it since it was rebuilt to years ago! Before I purchase a new one any seggestions? Look forward to hearing ya'lls insight!
leroy5245 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leroy5245 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2010 at 12:58pm
one last thing.....after putting a bit of gas in carb we used starting fluid to try and prime the fuel line.....heres a video of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHenW7w-RFw
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2010 at 1:06pm
Is the fuel pump installed properly? Are you getting fuel up to the pump and not to the carb? Has fuel been sitting in the carb and lines for two years?
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2010 at 1:59pm
Are the lines hooked up correctly? In and out.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2010 at 3:02pm
Fuel pump pushrod there at all?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2010 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

It's a Chevy. It should have a lever arm perminately attached to the pump and not a push rod, sounds like they didn't catch the eccentric on the cam when the fuel pump was installed.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2010 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

It's a Chevy. It should have a lever arm perminately attached to the pump and not a push rod, sounds like they didn't catch the eccentric on the cam when the fuel pump was installed.

exactly what I meant. You need to turn the motor over as you install the pump. You cant just stick it in there.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2010 at 10:12pm
what was stated above, or the pump diaphgram dried and cracked.
leroy5245 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leroy5245 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2010 at 2:30pm
The motor has been sitting for 2 years but the last time it was started it ran perfect (I was there) and since then we have not replaced the fuel pump so it is installed correctly, I'm thinking it luchog is right and that over 2 years the fuel pump has just rotted out. Emcallum: yes there might have been fuel sitting for the past couple of years
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2010 at 2:41pm
Sounds like a case of bad gas. Id drain the whole fuel system and put some fresh stuff in before you buy any new parts. Bad gas smells like paint thinner... and it doesnt take long for it to go bad these days.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2010 at 3:02pm
disconnect the fuel line at the carb, turn over the motor, if gas shoots out it's not the pump.
snipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 7:47pm
Had the sme problem this year. I put some gas in a clean soap dish bottle, squirted a LITTLE into the carb, and kept the motor running for a few minites. the pump then primed itself and I was good to go. Started every time. Good luck
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2010 at 4:00pm
It really sounds like you have gas that has gone bad.

I would disconnect the feed line that goes to the gas tank, and try running it in the driveway (water running to the motor of course) with an alternate gas tank of fresh new gas. If it runs then, you will want to drain as much old gas in the tank, and fill it with fresh gas.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
leroy5245 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leroy5245 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2010 at 1:40pm
Well during the restoration I removed the gas tank and all the gas so it cant be bad gas. I did put a lil gas in it but I will try and keep it running longer by doing that. Thanks for all your help and I will let you know the verdict!
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 12:01pm
Any news Leroy?

Hopefully you are busy running the boat around the lake.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic