Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hydro-lock!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2005 at 7:51am
Ford motors with old style heads had a problem with cracking, also head gaskets leaking. Ford has only 4 BOLT pattern aroud each cylinder.To cure this problem have the heads grooved for wire lock gaskets and future leaking between cylinders will stop. Also there is no issue with cams with an enclosed water headers style manifolds.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2005 at 11:59am
SS 201, with the style of exhaust manifold on the Ford Interceptor, which I have, the water is dumped into the exhaust stream very close to the head. (2" or 3"). I was advised by a long time cam grinder, when I was searching for a cam, that I would have a water problem if my exhaust duration was too long. Are you saying this fellow did not know what he was talking about?
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
yater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2005 at 8:03pm
Boat is for sale. First reasonable offer.
S.T. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S.T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2005 at 1:05am
Did you find the problem or have you given up? The theory that the water entered through the exhaust is VERY plausible. In fact, it can and does happen all the time. I've heard it from a few boat mechanics. It all depends on how you drive. It is possible that the previous owner never had any problems without the flaps because of the way he drove.

If you stop the boat abruptly without flaps on the exhaust, you can easily get water up into the manifolds. If you shut the engine down as you're stopping, it's even worse. The reason you can get water into all of the cylinders is that the manifolds fill up with water and it leaks into all of the cylinders as it's sitting there.

Think back. Did you do any of this? Also as someone else mentioned, dieseling can cause the engine to spin backwards or flip-flop back-and-forth which can actually suck water up the exhaust.

If you think any of this could have possibly happened, you owe it to yourself to at least just change the oil and run your boat in the driveway on a hose for a while. If the water came from inside the engine somewhere, you'll have the same problem. If not, suspect the exhaust. Buy a couple of flaps (cheap) and go.
marks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2005 at 1:14am
Yater,

If you are serious about selling, I know someone who is looking for a restoration project. Where are you located? Could you post some pictures of the hull and trailer? Also, has the engine issue gotten any worse?

yater View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2005 at 10:52pm
Engine issue has not gotten worse and she runs fine on the hose. I've been in Alaska, Colorado, and New Mexico most of the summer and haven't pulled the intake manifold to check it. I can email some pics if interested
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2005 at 2:03am
Pics and price please.
marks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2005 at 2:10am
You can email pics to me at mschank@prairieinet.net. Also, where is the boat located.
yater View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2005 at 2:14am
Sending email....boat is located in Tyler Texas, 80 miles east of Dallas. I can help cut down the distance within reason. I paid $3100 for her a few months ago. I'm willing to take a hit obviously so I'll entertain reasonable offers
'72 mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote '72 mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2005 at 7:21pm
I was having a similar problem with my 72 mustang. Pulled of the exhaust and pressure tested it no water in the exhaust from the water jackets. Got the water out of the cylinders (only in 1 & 2)and cranked the engine with the exhaust manifold off the engine to make sure water wasn't coming in from the exhaust. As I cranked the engine (all spark plugs removed and coil disconnected)mare water came shooting out from whre the spark plugs normally are. So I pulled off the intake manifold... no cracks no evidence of water and gaskets were in good shape. So I pulled the heads off. Sure enough the head gaskets were blown. So now the heads are being resurfaced and exhaust valve seats hardened. gasket set is in the mail and with any luck I will be back in busisness by the end of the weekend or sometime soon after.
Yater, dont give up on your boat yet. I was only able to take mine out once just like you but to give up on it this fast is just wrong man. Pull of the exhaust if that not it take of the intake atleast. There is nothing to that part of it if thats no the problem then go from there. But you owe to 'er to at least try man.
72 CC mustang
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2005 at 10:38pm
Post it in the for sale section. Someone might want it. You might be able to do pretty well by parting it out on here. For example, I need a ski pylon for my mustang. Do you want to sell me yours?
yater View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2005 at 10:43pm
I'd hate to part it because most of the pieces would be too big/heavy for shipping. Then I'd end up with a junk yard in the driveway. I'll guage interest and see if it would be worth parting but I'm thinking most of it would have to be picked up. The guages, lights, and pylon are just about the only things that I could ship
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2005 at 11:13pm
I would be interested in the gauges, lights, and pylon. Where is this boat? How much do you want for it?
yater View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2005 at 11:36pm
The boat is 80 miles east of Dallas Tx, in Tyler Texas. I thought I would fix the manifold gasket and sell it running for $3000. As is...I don't really know
yater View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2005 at 5:51pm
Someone make an offer! $1500?
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2005 at 9:26pm
Yater...can you send photos? What condition is the boat in..hull,stingers and interrior! I could be very interested!

MY EMAIL IS...
lisaandgary@insightbb.com
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2005 at 11:32pm
The leak has to be around here somewhere!

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2005 at 11:19pm
Pswann....I almost was heading to Texas to get that one...Yater said someone was going to look at it...I figured it was you!

Good luck with it...It may work out better for me anyway ...I have a line on a 72 nuatique ...will see photos tomorrow...if they look good I am going to make a trip!!!
stang

The Super Air

pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2005 at 11:15am
Just in case the picture didnt say 1000 words, I bought the tique and pulled the heads and intake and hope to pick them up from the machine shop today. They will clean up the surfaces and redo the heads and replace the oil seals. I have bought felpro marine head gaskets at 125 a pair and Mr Gasket ultra seal for the intake manifold. if this doesnt hold I dont know what will. there is no evidence of leaking manifold. Rust stops right at the mounting pont there is no rust up in the manifold. We shall see, wish me luck!

This engine in this boat came out of a auto and has had its water pump starter and alternator replaced. It turns clockwise. See the breakerless ignition in the picture?
79nautique View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2005 at 11:45am
pswann, Have the heads magnafluxed as well while it's at the head shop to make sure that it did not crack do to the head gasket being blown. Most like likely not but it easy to check now.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the boat for many years to come and not loose any money on the deal. Let us know how the engine turns out and if you decide to redo the interior the carpet looked a little raged from the pictures.
pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2005 at 11:57am
The machine shop is magnifluxing the heads, forgot to mention that. Carpet is looking a little rough but in the picture that is just the water from the manifold when I pulled it off. This boat is so small!! I pulled the exhaust manifolds off from outside the boat since it was easier.

I am thinking about getting a chrome valve cover dress up kit for this engine off ebay. Do the chrome covers hold up or are they a waste of money?
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2005 at 8:19pm
I've had chrome on mine for a couple of years without any problems you have to polish them with eagle one never dull once in a while and they are good to go. Also you can get cast aluminum ones has well. While you have the manifolds & risers off have them diped at the machine shop and repaint them and they are good as new. The risers you don't have to worry about but check the manifolds and make sure they are not rusted out on the inside and need replaced.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2005 at 4:02am
Yater...are ya staying out of that nasty weather?

BTW... pswann buying your boat worked out better for me...I soon will be trailing home a 72 salem orange promo Nautique!!! Number one on my list of favorites!Won't mind missing that weather either!

Pswann..let us know how things progress!

stang

The Super Air

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2005 at 11:46am
Pswann,

You mentioned that the engine turn's cw based upon the breakerless ignition. I would caution you and have you look at the prop instead and see if it is a right hand or left hand prop to determind the rotation of the engine. On these ford engines the dist turns clockwise on standard or reverse rotation. It doesn't make much difference with way it turns just that you have the firing order correct for the direction it rotates.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2005 at 7:06pm
just make sure you have the rotation correct and get parts that have brass instead of steel which is the major difference between auto and marine parts other than spark producing components which have containment provisions.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2005 at 2:26am
Are ya thinkin you might try again? You ran for one expensive hour in a half...but that 1.5 hour run was cool...right? Hope ya do and have much better luck!
stang

The Super Air

gigem75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigem75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2005 at 3:59pm
Don't know if this will help or not but the old holding a piece of paper up to the exhaust test would indicate a burned exhaust valve or misadjustment. If the paper will get sucked back up the pipe, I would assume water could as well and since you don't have the flappers it seems there is a good posibility it could be something in that area?
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2005 at 8:23am
Kinda got lost in this post, but am curious as to who owns the boat now and was the problem diagnosed?

64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic