NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where to hook tow rope

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to hook tow rope
    Posted: May-22-2005 at 11:03pm
We'll since I bought my '68 last year today was the first day I towed anyone. I pulled tubers all day long. They loved it and the boat performed great; but the tow rope, tied to the pylon, was almost intolerable for those sitting in the back seat. In fact it almost knocked one pretty little thong right out of the boat and she has the marks to prove it. What do you do about that in one of these old small CCs? Anyone?
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2005 at 11:58pm
Jim,

Does your boat have a lifting ring in the
rear? I generally tie tubes to the lifting
ring for just the reason you mentioned: so
folks can still sit in the back seat. It
works pretty well.

We have skied from the lifting ring in the
past as well. Obviously not as good a pull
from the skier or driver perspective as compared with the pylon, but works in a pinch.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2005 at 4:26am
We use the lifting ring as well for any activity that has kids in the boat.

Ski Safe!
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2005 at 11:06am
I was paranoid about using the lifting ring because of what I have read on the forum. My understanding was that the lifting ring was not structurely supported to tow from and cracks could develope.

Everyone would have been happier had I used the lifting ring. Next time we will. Thanks guys.
Bradley950 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradley950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2005 at 12:41pm
Wow, I to have wondered about useing that ring for towing. Kids in my boat will also be much happier. Thanks guys -Brad-
Brad Miller
bradley950@yahoo.com
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2005 at 12:56pm
I also can confirm that I use the lifting ring to tow kids in tubes...been doing it for years and not cracks or problems so far on the '77.

FWIW: On my '93 SN there is a spool on the back obviously meant to be used as a tow rope attachment point. The spool is simply through bolted with no other support. The fiberglass is a bit thicker in this area, but not much.

IMHO: The important thing to ensure is that the lifting ring nut is tight to the bottom of the rear deck to ensure that the ring cannot twist back and downward. Also, there should be a plywood block between the fiberglass and washer/nut...I assume to help distribute point loading from above (stepping near lifting ring) to avoid cracking the fiberglass.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2005 at 8:46pm
DavidF, glad you could confirm that there
have been no long term effects in using the
lifting ring for tubing.

BTW, I noticed in the early SN model 2001 brochures that CC used to promote that it had both Ski pylon and a rear (spool) ski attachment. Would be nice if they still had
both on newer models. Seems like they dropped the rear spool when they went to
the rounded tail in 97 or so.

BKH

Livin' the Dream

jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2005 at 10:10pm
At the boat show this year, I noticed the new Nautiques have a rear lift eye that would take a rope much better than the one on my '78. It is taller and has a narrower base so when you push the rope through and pull the loop over, it will stay better. I don't know if it was necessarily designed for towing, but it kind of looks that way.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
1969cc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1969cc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2005 at 11:59pm
I have been pulling 2 tubes at the same time with my 1969 Mustang using the rear lift ring for several years without any problems.
Rosser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2005 at 5:27pm
You can run the rope thru lifting ring and up to pylon to put pull on pylon without rope swinging thru passenger area.Works great.
1971 Skier holman&moody 1971 Mustang holman&moody
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2005 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by Rosser Rosser wrote:

You can run the rope thru lifting ring and up to pylon to put pull on pylon without rope swinging thru passenger area.Works great.

Clever idea. Only concern I would have is
potentially slack. If the rope slacked
between the lifting ring and the pylon, and
if a little one had a hand on the rope,
or an arm wrapped around it, they could
easily break a finger or arm when the
tube snapped back. At minimum, a snapping
rope could leave a pretty good welt if it
hit the back seat passenger in the arm, side
of the head, etc.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2005 at 10:50am
Most of the time we use the pylon, but when I pull a tube, I've found that I can't sling it out to the sides as well from the pylon as I can from the rear lift ring.

What I did for a while was run the rope through the stern lift ring and hook it on a stern cleat. It worked OK, except the rope tends to wear-out at at the rear lift ring. ...So, I bought another used rear lift ring and I am going to grind it down with a bench grinder and die grinder so that it will hold a rope and then have it re-chromed. I'll keep my original in case I ever want to hang my boat.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
Brad_K View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad_K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2005 at 11:25am
Sorry to get off topic but i need to lift my boat off the trailer to carry out some trailer repairs, As the name suggests is it ok to lift the boat by only using the 2 lifting rings? or is it better to jack it up from underneath?
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2005 at 12:15pm
Brad:

If your boat is in good condition, then yes the rings are designed to carry the full weight of the boat. However, if you have an older boat, you MUST ensure that the below deck hardware has not corroded to the point of weakening the integrity of the lifting rings. As an example, when I purchased my '77 Martinique the steel brackets that held the threaded rods connected to the lifting rings were almost rusted in two. If I had tried to lift the boat with the rings, I would have pulled them right off the boat taking a big chunk of the deck with them.
Brad_K View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad_K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2005 at 1:33pm
is there a better way to lift it to be on the safe side?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2005 at 1:38pm
When TechSun Trailers set my '68 on the new trailer they hooked onto the lift ring on the bow and they placed a strap under the rear to lift.

I don't know why. Either it was a lifting equipment availabiity thing or maybe they have some experience. I dunno. But that seems to be their standard way to do it.

(By-the-way, it's a fantastic trailer.)
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2005 at 1:47pm
Brad:

There is another way for the DIY'er, but it is time comsuming. You simply use a floor jack and landscaping timbers (cheaper than 4x4's) to block up the boat. You need enough timbers, cut to say 18" long, stacked in an alternating box pattern to support the boat in three place. Two at each rear corner and one at the keel in the front.

Sounds easy, but the hard part is that you have to reset the supports many times as you pull the trailer out from under the boat due to the trailers axles, etc.

So, place the floor jack (using blocking if necessary for height) under the keel. Jack the boat off the bunk boards. Place the blocking under the hull to support the boat at this height. Do the same at the other end of the boat. The boat is now support above the trailer and the trailer can be pulled out from under the boat until part of the trailer hits some of your support blocking. Now jack the boat up again and reposition the blocking to the other side of the trailer obstruction. If you have a prop cage, you can see how tedious this can get, but it works and is how I lifted my '93 off the trailer in my driveway.

Good luck.
Brad_K View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad_K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2005 at 2:34pm
Thanks for the tips, i think i might try jacking it up from underneath just enough to slip some strops under the hull and then lift from the strops instead of using the lifting rings.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2005 at 2:47pm
David F. Have used the same blocking technique on a 98 sport nautique.

The second time we did it, we got smarter.

We built a cradle to go across the bow with
some 6X8 lumber we took off a constuction site. Used a come along into the front lifting ring. Lifted just enough to clear
the trailer (inch or two). Then we used
the floor jack to lift the rear and inch or
two. We moved the trailer forward a couple
of feet and inserted the complete blocking assembly in the back. Once the back was secure, we carefully pulled out the trailer.
Stuck a floor jack under the front just
for security, while we blocked out the front.

It took about a quarter the time as having to
block and move, block and move. We thought about using the frame of the garage door rather than building a cradle, but I wouldn't have been able to close the garage door until the project is done.

BRAD K - perhaps a dumb question, (I'm not familiar with the boating environment in the UK) but if all
you need to do is work on the trailer, and you
don't need to work on the bottom of the boat,
why not just put the boat in the water? Or,
if that won't work, why not just borrow another trailer and put yout boat on that while doing your repairs?

BKH
Livin' the Dream

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2005 at 4:53pm
I like you method, but the reason my boat is off the trailer is to repair extensive collision damage. The front lift ring support is glassed into the bow of the hull (along with the bow eye bolted through it) and this is the area of the boat that received the worst damage. So, I felt the integrity of the front lifting ring to be too compromised to be used to lift the boat at all.

So I had to do it the hard way.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2005 at 6:20pm
I've used the rear ring alot over the years when there are passengers in the back seat. I hate to ski from back there, mostly the height of the rope. Before the days of wakeboarding, we would tie a tube to the lift ring and two kneeboarders to the pylon (on each side of the tube) with ropes about 18" shorter and drown the person in the tube. With a shorter rope, all you had to do is hold a constant carve wash their ears out. People would actually jump out of the tube.
Tim D
Brad_K View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad_K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2005 at 7:36am
It is very hard to leave the boat in the water unless I leave it in salt water and I defiantly don’t want to do that, and if a could find someone with a spare trailer to borrow for a few days I would but over here boat trailers are like rocking horse poo.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic