Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

taking out the wood grain dash on an 87' 2001

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
grose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: taking out the wood grain dash on an 87' 2001
    Posted: April-02-2010 at 7:16pm
i want to know if anyone knows how to get the red indicator lights apart to take out the wood grain plastic piece directly in front of the steering wheel? they are right above the fuse type buttons. i want to get that piece redone, because the wood grain is coming off and i just hate cheap looking wood grain. call me crazy!
87' Nautique
67' Skylark
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2010 at 3:14am
I'm sure some around here will call you crazy, since that "wood" is original. haha. The lights, i don't have an 87, but chances are that they're just held on with some nuts behind the dash. should be pretty simple.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2010 at 3:10am
Looked at mine and I have no idea what holds those little guys in. What do you plan to replace the dash with?
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Chris4x4gill2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2010 at 11:13am
If these replacement lights are the same as the originals, it looks like they just push out from the back.

grose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2010 at 11:27pm
thanks chris i will check to see if they work. btw david i am just changing it to black. the wood grain was coming off and i hate cheap looking wood grain. i will post some new pics of the entire boat once i get everything put back together. i had all new upholstrey, buffed, and all new decals done. so far it looks great.
87' Nautique
67' Skylark
grose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2010 at 11:27pm
i am now having trouble with no power to the dash
87' Nautique
67' Skylark
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2010 at 1:02am
Do you have a volt meter?
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2010 at 1:47am
If the "wood" was real i could see leaving it in place. Since it is a sticker of wood grain and not even wood, I say make it look better by doing anything but fake wood grain.

I plan on taking my fake wood grain instrument panel off and either going with carbon fiber (fake CF is fine LOL) or something else. On a martinique there are a lot of gauges that need to come off in order to do this though. if I didn't have any running issues with my boat, I would have taken that fake woodgrain off as well.

Sounds like you need to get a multi meter and do some testing to see why you have no power.

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2010 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

If the "wood" was real i could see leaving it in place. Since it is a sticker of wood grain and not even wood, I say make it look better by doing anything but fake wood grain.

I plan on taking my fake wood grain instrument panel off and either going with carbon fiber (fake CF is fine LOL) or something else. On a martinique there are a lot of gauges that need to come off in order to do this though. if I didn't have any running issues with my boat, I would have taken that fake woodgrain off as well.

Going non original??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 12:27am
Yep, had the original been done how it was supposed to be done, then I would keep it original.

I don't know if they have a "concours" critique for boats like they do for cars, but I am interested in the boat being useful and tasteful, and that does not always mean original.

My only other issue with keeping it original is that by doing so, you are not taking advantage of any newer technology available.

Neither way is wrong, but what one person may love, another will hate.

You can't make everybody happy, so make yourself happy:)

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
grose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2010 at 11:09am
no power to the dash problem fixed. after a lot of testing, all it took was unplugging the wiring harness on the back of the engine an plugging it back in. just a loose connection. unplugged again and took a small screwdriver into the female end and closed them up just a little to get a tighter fit and we're good to go. thanks for the replies.
87' Nautique
67' Skylark
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2010 at 2:44pm
Persistance pays off, that took some looking.
1987 Ski Nautique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2010 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by grose grose wrote:

no power to the dash problem fixed. after a lot of testing, all it took was unplugging the wiring harness on the back of the engine an plugging it back in. just a loose connection. unplugged again and took a small screwdriver into the female end and closed them up just a little to get a tighter fit and we're good to go.

Greg,
I highly recommend to go after this connector again in fact, any connectors and terminals. The last one I opened up was on my Tique due to a voltage drop issue. I found nothing but green (copper oxide) inside. By cleaning all the plugs and the connections up, I eliminated 1.3 volts of power drop. Get inside each female socket with some "scotch brite" rolled up or use a small wire brush on a Dremel tool until all the corrosion is gone. Then and very important is to use dielectric grease when you put them back together. I have seen these plugs literally burnt up due to corrosion/resistance and the resulting heat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2010 at 3:48pm
There is a difference between enhancing, customizing and original. While there is nothing as pure as original. enhancing when done right can add to the value. Customizing will be more to a personal liking and might jsut end with the customizer.

I replaced the vinyl in my rub rail with braded rope, changed out an obsolete cassette deck for same brand CD player and added a bimini. I would call those enhancements.

Now if you were to wrap the boat, or add a tower or competely change the interior to velour I'd consider it customizing and while you may love it, you might be alone.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2010 at 8:12pm
hey Kevin happy B-day
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic