NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rebuilding 351W

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
clibat2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clibat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 2:04pm
Quinner... I launch in Brookfield. Once I'm in the water, I'm all over the lake. Got the boat started over the weekend. Ran it for a few seconds and shut it down. Next step is putting it in the water.. Crappy Northeast weather has put a damper on that though :(
Candlewood Lake, Western Connecticut
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

No distributor belongs at the back of the motor. That's just plain wrong!

Ford HAD a "better idea" A long..... time ago!!! Then they screwed up!!!

And no Tom this is not a flywheel forward engine. Since you're such a big Ford guy, you should know exactly what the engine is!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 5:59pm
Is that a Y block Pete?? Gotta be since it has 2 bolts where they are to hold the valve covers down.

Other than a y block, or a early 50's flathead I can't think of any other rear mounted distributors in ford V8's.

I know the 2.8, 2.9 v6 cologne motors had rear mounted dizzys.

One thing i can say about a rear mounted dizzy it hat on a full sized van, they are great because that is the only easy way to change plug wires. And you can do it in the rain and stay dry. Remove doghouse and go at it. Been there done that on a GM 350 and a dodge 360.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 6:08pm

Is that a Y block Pete?? Gotta be since it has 2 bolts where they are to hold the valve covers down.

Other than a y block, or a early 50's flathead I can't think of any other rear mounted distributors in ford V8's.

Tom,
Yes, it's a "Y" block but no it's not a flat head. A flat head wouldn't have valve covers!!! None were commercially marinized ether.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 6:12pm
Yeah, I figured it HAD to be a Y block.
I only listed the only other rear mounted distributor fords I could think of. The cologne v6 and those couple of years of flatheads were odd balls ( for ford), along with the y block.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 6:18pm

Yeah, I figured it HAD to be a Y block.
I only listed the only other rear mounted distributor fords I could think of. The cologne v6 and those couple of years of flatheads were odd balls ( for ford), along with the y block.

I really wouldn't say 11 years of production of the "Y" block was "oddball".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 6:25pm
Well, considering that around 98% (probably more than that even) of all fords were front mounted distributor, I would call it an odd ball.

It would be like an odd ball front dizzy on a gm V8.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 10:09am
Tom,
Do you happen to know why Ford went to a front mounted distributor? I do!! Ford kept on snapping cam shafts because they couldn't make a quality shaft like GM could! Putting the distributor and oil pump drive forward they eliminated some of the mid cam loading.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 10:25am
thats the first post ever, showing some emotion towards Chevy's Pete....good for you
"the things you own will start to own you"
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Tom,
Do you happen to know why Ford went to a front mounted distributor? I do!! Ford kept on snapping cam shafts because they couldn't make a quality shaft like GM could! Putting the distributor and oil pump drive forward they eliminated some of the mid cam loading.

Interesting, but when are you talking about year wise?

Fords had front mounted before the Y blocks and those few flatheads then switched for a few years on some models, then went back to front mounted distributors.

All of these manufacturers buy parts from many of the same places. It's hard to say that ford couldn't make the cam shafts good enough.

It's a moot point anyway because they are all DIS now.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 11:47pm

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Tom,

Interesting, but when are you talking about year wise?

Fords had front mounted before the Y blocks and those few flatheads then switched for a few years on some models, then went back to front mounted distributors.

All of these manufacturers buy parts from many of the same places. It's hard to say that ford couldn't make the cam shafts good enough.

It's a moot point anyway because they are all DIS now.

Tom,
I'm confused!! you're asking me but you're supposed to be the Ford expert!!   

Y block to FE block was the big switch. It was the Y block that was breaking the cams. Do you actually have first hand experience with Y blocks?

So, you're saying both Ford and GM outsourced their cams from the same source? Interesting concept! Same specs???? Tell me more about this source that makes my point "moot". What about Chrysler?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 12:22am
Pete, worry less about semantics, and assumptions, and more about what is posted.

I am far from a ford expert, but I know a bit about them and they have treated me well.

I'm well aware that the "big switch", or actually switch BACK was when the FE's came out after the Y blocks. As far as why ford went back to a front mounted distributor, your reasoning may not be the exact reason the engineers that designed the motors would specify for going to different layout of the distributors.

I grew up in a 67 390 FE cyclone GT convertible. The FE took the ideas from the Y block, and improved upon them. I've never had a Y block ford, but my Father has had a few. From what I have read and heard about Y blocks, I'm, glad I have not had one.

Obviously the same specs would not be used on different brands of cams.

The reason the point is now moot is that no new GM or Ford vehicles have distributors now.   All are DIS, or Distributor-less Ignition Systems now.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 1:32am
what's the problem with Y blocks?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 10:02am
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

what's the problem with Y blocks?

Luch,
Two issues plagued the Y block but to what extent I don't know. Besides my own experience with my 312, I listen and learn from a group of Y block enthusiasts. Every year at one of our ACBS chapters wood boat shows, a group of Y block guys from the AACA (Antique Auto Club of America) show up with Thunderbirds, Mercurys and even Y block F100's. One year they spotted my marine 312 and ever since search me out and we talk Y block even if I'm not showing that boat that year!!

The cam breakage information problem came from this group. One of them is a retired Ford engineer who actually worked on the design/production of the Y block. He said the breakage was extreamly low but when he moved on to the design of the FE block, Ford decided to be safe and move the distributor to the front. This removed lots of the cam center loading. Ford had done lots of experimenting with the cam manufacturing/production process but really never solved the breakage issue.

The other issue was the routing of the oil. The Y block oil goes to the cam first and then to the rocker arms. If poor quality oil or oil changes not made on a timely basis, then the port from the cam to the rocker shaft would get plugged starving the rockers. This problem was infrequent as well but solved with external oil lines bypassing the area that was plugging. Kits are even available.

So, disregard Tom's comment since getting the information first hand from a Ford design engineer is not a assumption!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 2:26pm
Luch, here is an article about Y blocks, and the issues they had.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Y-block_engine

Mostly it wasn't really an issue with the cam's, but rather an issue with the oils used at the time, exacerbated by infrequent oil changes.
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2010 at 2:41pm
Did you figure out how to time the protech? I had to pull mine out when I did my intake and Im pretty sure I will have to retime it.   It sounds like if you get it close, then plug it back in, it will auto adjust it to the correct time correct?

I know, it should be replaced.. but it works for now... so I will run with it.

Thanks!
84 SN, 92 SNOB, 2005 SANTE 2006 SN 206
clibat2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clibat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2010 at 3:49pm
Took the boat out on the water after getting it to start in the driveway. It ran great and sounded great. The only issue I am having is at the top end. After running around slowly for 1/2 hour to give it some break-in time, I started to open it up and the boat topped out at about 35 MPH. There was more RPM left in the motor, but it wouldn't make me move any faster. Not sure why yet, but overall the major hurdles seem to be over. Thanks for all help provided!!
Candlewood Lake, Western Connecticut
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic