Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine hours

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
scottcrist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottcrist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine hours
    Posted: May-13-2005 at 4:20pm
I'm looking at an '83 to buy. It has a stock 351 Ford 240HP V8 with 923 hours. How long will this engine last? How many hours is too many?
Scott Crist
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2005 at 5:08pm
Perhaps another 500 hours perhaps 10 season if it wasn't trashed. The engine is often more resiliant than the accessories and other mechanisms of the boat.

If your handy its no bother, if you have to go to a dealer for everything, you might be discouraged.

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2005 at 11:51pm
Alot of the older engines were designed for leaded fuel and wont last as long on unleaded. Depends how much unleaded hrs is on it. May need to do a valve job. If you can, do a compression check. Good luck!
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2005 at 5:56pm
If it hasn't had a valve job already, when you get it done, she'll be able to burn unleaded. I think the valve sleaves are all that need to be changed to use unleaded fuel. But still use high octane.
I agree--do a compression check. Listen for pinging or clattering while the engine is idleing. A compression gauge runs about $30 and can give you a good idea as to the condition of the engine--rings, valves, leaks in head gasket, cracks in block.
Good luck.
My '84 SN is looking at new rings soon.
Texas88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2005 at 12:33am
So...what do you suppose compression should be on 88 SN 351, 240 HP, 500 hours. Stock heads not GT40.
Bryan A. Texas 88 Ski
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2005 at 2:28pm
The important thing is not what the value is, but that all cylinders are close to each other with no more than a 10% variance between any two cylinders. I cannot remember what a good value is, but 130psi initially comes to mind.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2005 at 10:46am
I've always heard the expected life on average of the engine is 1600 hours.
Tim D
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2005 at 11:06am
1600 hours? I think it all depends on upkeep, storage, and how you drive it. Similar to a car.

About 3 or 4 years ago I skied behind a mid 80's vintage ski nautique. It was used by a couple of guys at a privately owned lake to ski every day after work in prep for tournaments (it was always tied at the dock, uncovered). This boat was the roughest 2001 I've ever seen. I had to step through holes in the floor to get to the back of the boat. Most of the floor panels were rotted away. The boat pulled like a champ, and the owners claimed they never had to do much to it, never had the valve covers off. It had over 2500 hours on the original meter!
Alan-S View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2005 at 12:55pm
When I shopped for boats, I looked for boats with high hours. To me it means that the owners were actually boaters and knew about taking care of a boat. Also you get a nice price deduction because people think hours are bad. Its not like miles on a car. I bought my 01 SAN with 700+ hours on it in 2003, it is the smoothest GT-40 you have ever felt, its just perfectly broken in and has all of the kinks worked out. The only boat I have driven that comes close is my buddies 80's MC Stars and Stripes with 2500+ hrs on it. He rides 5 days a week and has never had anything but oil changes and 1 tune up to replace the battery, filters, and spark plugs.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2005 at 6:27pm
And some boats have high hours because someone left the ignition switched on for a day or so.
Tim D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic