Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starter Problems

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Dave View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starter Problems
    Posted: May-07-2005 at 4:29pm
I was trying to start my 84 ski nautique today for the first time since winter and ran into some problems. It has a Ford PCM 351 engine. At first the starter solenoid would just click like it wasn't getting enough power, so then I hooked up jumper cables from a running car to the battery, the starter briefly tried to crank but then it would trip off. Seemed like I lost all juice. There is a red button on the back of the engine that I believe is a 50amp breaker and if I pressed that a few times I could get the boat to try to start again but everytime it just seemed to trip off. My question:

1. Am I an idiot for trying to jump the boat from a car? Does this send too much power and cause this breaker to shut off?

Thanks
Dave
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2005 at 5:48pm
I've jumped my boat from a car battery. A couple of months ago as a matter of fact after it sitting all winter. It was hard to start but I didn't have to reset the breaker. I replaced the cables from the battery to the relay to the starter and that solved my starting problem. It sounds to me like you've got a sort somewhere, maybe even in the starter. Run the cables and see if you have any problems. Maybe the solenoid is bad??
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2005 at 12:17am
I just thought of something else...did the motor turn over at all? If it didn't, it could be the engine is stuck and the starter is drawing to much current and causing the breaker to trip. I've never had this problem but it sounds reasonable. I've heard if you squirt some Mystery Oil or transmission fluid in the spark plug holes and let it sit, that will help free things up. As I said I've never tried this so get some more information before you do it.
79nautique View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2005 at 1:30am
If you connected the jumper cables directly to the battery terminals on the boat or vehicle that need jumped you connected the cables wrong. If this is the way you tried jumping it you would not have enough current to crank it over. Charge the battery up and then check your charging system and make sure it is producing atleast 13.5 volts.

The negitive jumper cable should go to the block not battery and the positive goes to the battery. On the running car both go to the battery. If the cable cannot be seperated enough to reach both you can connect the positive to the battery side of the solenoid just make sure it is not the side that goes directly to the starter otherwise you by pass it and the ign switch all together
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2005 at 8:02am
I agree with 79 naut...you may have been charging the drained battery and not sending enough uumph to the engine.

Jimbo...I squirt Marvel Mystery into every plug hole and remove the valve covers and squirt the rockers as well every time the boat has been set-up for awhile. When I worked Offshore we bought this stuff in 5 gallon buckets.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
Dave View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2005 at 10:31am
Thanks for the advise.
I have used a socket wrentch to turn over the engine by hand and it doesn't seem to be too siezed up. I will try the mystery oil and do that again and then hook the cables up the way suggested and let you guys know how it works out.

Nice day today here in New England and Tomorrow is suposed to hit 70 so I need to get this boat fired up so I have an excuse to leave work at lunch tomorrow.

Dave
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2005 at 11:40am
If you can turn the engine over by hand, then I do not think Mystery oil will help. My initial thought was that you have a internally shorted battery, but the tripped breaker has me puzzled. A shorted battery will draw done the system sufficiently were jumping will not work.

My suggestions. Put in a know fresh battery. If the breaker still trips, inspect all electrical connections for corrossion. Clean contacts as necessary and make sure they are tight. If the problem still exists, you may have a bad starter the has a short in the windings.

If it has been awhile a starter rebuild is never a bad idea.
nms1991 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nms1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2005 at 5:46pm
Did you hook the battery up properly? red to positive black to negative. Original cables were not marked very well, trace your positive cable from the starter relay to the battery. This is the only reason why it could be popping the big red breaker on the back of the engine with it working properly last year.   
Dave View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2005 at 2:13pm
I am pretty sure I had the battery hooked up right. So that breaker tripping is still confusing me.

Tried again yesterday. Hooked up the negative side of the cables to the engine block rather then the negative terminal on teh boat battery, starter would crank the engine real weak, not even a full rotation and then would just click. Did that several times. I am going to pick up a new battery today and give that a shot. Serves me right for forgetting to disconnect the batery before storing for the winter.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2005 at 2:31pm
One more thought: The breaker could be weak and needs to be replaced.
Dave View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2005 at 11:16am
New battery did the trick.
I was surprised that the old one was so dead it wouldn't even start with a jump. But hooked up the new battery and the boat fired up after just a couple cranks.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Dave
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic