Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wrong Prop ?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
lonestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wrong Prop ?
    Posted: September-25-2009 at 11:52pm
4100 rpm and 40 mph on the gps. Its a little slow out of the hole but not terrible. 1988 2001 with 400 hours. The boat has a rebuilt prop that I bought cause I was desperate. I remember the guy at the shop saying that this prop was realy beat up prior to being rebuilt,[400 buck by the way] so my question is should I be trying another prop or is that the performance I should expect ? Thanks
lonestar
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2009 at 1:12am
Lonestar - It sounds like too high of pitch, assuming your engine is running right. What brand of prop is it? You might want to try an OJ or Acme, these are what is recommended. FI Inboards (on this site) has a trial offer on new props, you only pay shipping if you return the prop undamaged. A pretty low risk way to find out where your problem is.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
lonestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2009 at 11:00am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Lonestar - It sounds like too high of pitch, assuming your engine is running right. What brand of prop is it? You might want to try an OJ or Acme, these are what is recommended. FI Inboards (on this site) has a trial offer on new props, you only pay shipping if you return the prop undamaged. A pretty low risk way to find out where your problem is.

Thanks, I have seen that trial offer and it sounds great. I gotta be honest and say I have no idea what kind of prop it is ? But I know it came off the same year and model boat as mind and it is brass. I believe it may have been the stock prop that came with the boat. I have seen a lot of people mention the OJ and the Acme but im unclear on what seperates the two, or if I should go the 4 blade route. Any thoughts
lonestar
lonestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2009 at 11:05am
Forgot to mention the boat is running great
lonestar
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2009 at 7:38pm
Chris - The 3 blade is highly recommended here because it is more efficient.      Some guys like the 4 blade because it is smoother.      Both the OJ & Acme will far outperform that OE prop you have.      Call one of the prop shops (Correct parts, Delta, FI Inboards) & they will help you select the best one for your needs.      Someone said last week that these new props are the best performance per $ you can spend on your boat.     BTW, I am not endorsing any of these guys except to say they support this site.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2009 at 10:51pm
400 dollars for a rebuilt prop??? they stole from you, a brand new Acme is only a few more bucks!!!

The propeller you need will depend on what you use your boat for.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2009 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by lonestar lonestar wrote:

[400 buck by the way]

Chris,
Sorry, but it sure sounds like they saw you walking in the door!! You didn't by chance take the prop to a dealer and they in turn sent it to the prop shop??? A reputable shop will not rebuild a prop knowing it will cost more than new. Please post the name of the prop shop that did the work (or dealer that sent it in) so someone else doesn't make the mistake of taking a prop to them.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lonestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2009 at 1:34am
With tax I think it was actualy $415.00. And ya I guess they saw me coming. I had lostthe original prop off the boat while we were skiing one weekend mid summer, I dont know how or why all I can guess is that a week prior I got a bunch of aerator line from the lake stuck in the prop and maby that knocked it loose. Kills me because that prop was like brand new, I had just had it rebuilt. I stupidly called the shop from the lake and explained the situation. I just drove up to the shop here in north jersey and bought it without going online to see what was out there. I have a thing for doing buisness with the local guys but it gets a little old when you see how bad they burn you sometimes. Im hopefull this prop is worth something to the prop shop I get the new one from, or its a spare, either way its a lesson learned.
lonestar
lonestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2009 at 1:36am
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

400 dollars for a rebuilt prop??? they stole from you, a brand new Acme is only a few more bucks!!!

The propeller you need will depend on what you use your boat for.

this boat is strictly used for slalom skiing.
lonestar
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2009 at 11:12am
lonestar, do you know which prop you are going with? the place I buy from is having a special this week, they are Acme's. since you spent the big Bucks already. if you want call me and I'll check, 330-273-8291
"the things you own will start to own you"
lonestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2009 at 11:30am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

lonestar, do you know which prop you are going with? the place I buy from is having a special this week, they are Acme's. since you spent the big Bucks already. if you want call me and I'll check, 330-273-8291

Thanks . will do
lonestar
oledawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2009 at 5:23pm
http://www.caravelleboats.com/2007/pick.html
"To profit from good advice requires more wisdom than to give it"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic