Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Volt Meter

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Texas88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Volt Meter
    Posted: April-23-2005 at 2:41am
I have an 88 SN, 351 PCM, new ski dim 50 amp Alt with internal reg. I just had a couple questions that someone may know. How do you test to see if the in-dash volt gauge is accurate, or even working. And how do you measure how many volts the Alt is putting out. I have a hand held volt meter.

Thanks,
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2005 at 8:24pm
First the gauge test is take your handheld meter check the voltage across the battery. The dash gauge & voltmeter should read the same. Marine voltmeters are not exactly the most accurate devices by are fairly close if working properly. The alternator output voltage running should be between 13.6 vdc. & 15.5 vdc.. Any less and the battery will loose charge. Start the engine with the handheld across the battery you should read between these voltages @idle. You may see some increase up to 2000 rpm. The dash gauge should read close to the same. If the reading on the dash is off check all connections to the gauge including the ground. You might even pull the dash unit and hook it across the battery to see if the readings are close. This eliminates the wiring in the boat when checking the gauge.
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
Texas88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2005 at 4:15pm
Thanks Nate,

I ran the tests and found about 13.5 at the Alt and the Gauge, all appears to be fine in Nautique Land.

Thanks,

Bryan
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2005 at 3:42am
What does your in-dash voltmeter read? My 87 reads about 10 volts, but I've probed around and found right where the voltage drop is at on one of the buss bars. I haven't replaced the wire yet but was wondering if anybody else had these symptoms. It also has a weak horn, due to the same wire.
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2005 at 9:03am
On my '78 the in-dash volt meter reads 12 when my engine is running, 10 when it's not running. I've checked with a DMM and the new alternator is putting out exactly what it should; it is actually around 14 running, 12.5 not running.   
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2005 at 1:20am
I know for sure the older Mustangs (74 and up), were famous for inadequate wire size from the engine to the dash. They only had current meters in the dash(at least all that Ive seen). This causes any add-on or factory installed volt meters not to be accurate if wired at the dash panel and not at the battery. You may have an alternator that puts out 14.2vdc at the output stud, yet only get 12.8 or so at the dash. This is due to excessive voltage drop in the wiring. The more that is drawn, the more the drop is. Voltage drop in a wire of a certain length and current draw can be calculated. My boat had a factory #10awg hot and ground wire to feed the dash and accessories. I got over 2 volts of drop with the lights and blower on and less than .5 volt drop when shut off. Unlike house wiring where you can draw 30 amps off a of #10 wire, if you get a 5 volt drop- who cares, everything is to spec, but loose 5 volts from 14.2vdc and youre in trouble! If anyone has any wiring/current/voltage/ohm/electrical Questions feel free to ask because I may have questions with fiberglass/gelcoat/ where Im lacking alot of knowledge.   
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2005 at 12:25pm
Jeff, You are right on the money!

I probed around my 87 Ski Nautique and I found the voltage drop comming from the hot wire at the key switch that feeds the + side of the accessory buss bar. The wire is inadequate and smaller than the negative feed to the other buss bar. I traced my voltage drop right to the wire.
I haven't fixed it yet because it looks like I might have to pull the instrument pod to gain accesss. Probing around other area's I found very small drops, hope this helps.
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2005 at 12:57am
Skyhawkflyer, usually theres a larger #10 or #8 hot wire coming from the engine where it goes to a busbar in the dash, then split into several fused lines, one being the ignition key. Does the output of the key go to another bussbar? Because if it is connected like that you might get away with adding a simple relay from the main bus bar to key switch bus bar. I need a bit more info on how its wired cause im not real familiar with newer boat wiring methods. Might also want you to try a few more measurements to be sure. let me know..   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic