NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

vibration during turns

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
nauti girl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nauti girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: vibration during turns
    Posted: February-15-2004 at 5:45pm
I'm new to the inboard ski boats. We bought a '78 Martinique 351W Commander toward the end of last summer. I notice when my skier falls and I turn around at speed I feel a lot of vibration. Is this normal? Does it mean I need a shaft bushing? ...or a rudder bushing? ...or should I just get used to it?
Nauti Girl
--I think my husband uses his own login now!
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2004 at 11:28pm
i would check those, but could be numerous things.

first, i would check the bolts into the stringers for the motor/tranny mounts and your alignment.

second, i would look at the driveline to see if everything is 'true.'

see if the end block on the steering cable is tight onto the stringer also.
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2004 at 6:06pm
Nauti Girl,

You may be experiencing propeller cavitation. Are you turning around the same direction each time? Try turning the other direction and see if the vibration changes.   My '89 Nautique sensitive to direction in a sharp turn.

Jeff
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nauti girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2004 at 9:13pm
Jeff,
Now that you mention it, I do always turn left. My boat is winterized now, so it'll be another couple of months before I can try your idea. Has your '89 always had this vibration? ...or is there something we could do about it? I never experienced this with outboards (not that I would EVER go back). I love the way these boats almost "slide" around a curve like a car rather that "bank up" like an outboard.
Nauti Girl
SS-201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS-201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2004 at 9:27pm
One reason for vibration in that particular situation is that the prop sits back to far from the strut and causes vibratio ,among others. Your condition could be other reasons, not knowing your boat condition. However the prop only needs to be the width of a propeller puller 1/4 inch from the back of the strut. However in 1997 they changed amd put the props about 5/8 inch from the strut. A comprise fron a 1/4 inch. This I know because it my suggestion.
SS 201
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2004 at 10:25pm
Nauti,

Mine has had it from day one. I never thought anything of it because the inboard/outboards we had growing up were always susceptible to cavitation. It's also a function of prop rotation direction. My brothers Malibu cavitates turning the other direction, due to his direct drive.

I'd never heard of the prop position problem.

Jeff
SS-201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS-201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2004 at 7:53am
When they changed the prop position the vibrations went away, 1997 for CC. Your experience is because your boat turns the opposite rotation to CC. CC is the only boat in the industry today that turn right hand propellers all the rest are left hand.If you look at all the older boats prior 1997 you will see that the props are 2-4 inches away from the strut.Most all the boat Ski tow boats except maybe Sanger, MB Mike Brendella boats didn't experience this because they both were high performance builders and drivers. I know this because I drove with and against them. The farther the prop away from the rudder the less force against it and makes it easier to steer, also helps to put bow up. IO are completely different situation.
SS 201
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nauti girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2004 at 12:51pm
I wonder if I just give it too much abuse. Maybe I need to slow down a little. Don't you think the cavitation will damage it?
Nauti Girl
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2004 at 1:24pm
SS-201,

Thanks for the info. When you talk about the distance from the strut to the prop, is that as measured from the trailing edge of the strut body to the forward most portion of the propellor blade, or is it from the strut bushing to the prop hub?

Also, my boat is a 1989 Ski Nautique. I think you had the impression is was not a Correct Craft.

Jeff
SS-201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS-201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2004 at 4:09pm
From the rear of the strut to the front of the prop at least 1/4 inch, so you can use a prop puller. Measure what distance you have now subtract what clearance you are going to choose. You unfortunately will have to cut the front of the shaft where it goes into the coupler, if you choose to do this, as you will be shorting the shaft.
SS 201
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2004 at 12:17pm
Dollars to donuts what your experiencing is cavitation. When you turn at skiing RPM's (or higher....great feeling) the forward speed is reduced but the prop is still spinning at high RPM's and pulling water through it which increases cavitation AND the prop is also "sliding" sideways due to the turn which also increases the risk of cavitating the prop.

The prop is also "sideloaded" slightly from the turn and can induce flex into the boat and any misalignment is magnified (make sure you do Tryans post for things to check) it could be both cavitation and misalignments.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2004 at 9:45pm
one little ping on the leading edge will eat right through an aluminum prop. take a very close look.

Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2004 at 12:44am
Nauti girl- when my cuda had the wrong sized prop (bought it like this) it would make a ton of noise when turning sharp.This was magnigied when pulling a tube-er.With the correct size and pitch prop, the noise and virbration is drastically reduced.Make sure your prop is sized and pitched correctly for your model.
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2004 at 8:13am
All CC props are now 5/8 of a inch from the strut, as of 1997.
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2004 at 10:09pm
My 66 came with a 14X11 I had an amazing amount of vibration/Cavitation. I replaced it with a 13X13 and 90% of the vibration went away. I now find that a 12.5X 13 was original Equip.
ricktrav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricktrav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2004 at 4:05pm
i never power turn to get a skier even if the water is horrible i still stop then turn and idle to get the skier. why mess up th water to save 5 seconds? I HATE POWER TURNS.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic