NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can’t get in the driveway

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can’t get in the driveway
    Posted: April-10-2005 at 11:59pm
HELP!!!! Bought a 97 SNOB, and I can't get it up my sloped driveway, because the prop guard scrapes. I hate to let it sit in the street. It never occured to me that this would be a problem. The trailer is a 97 Shoreland'r single axle. Would wheels on the prop guard do the trick? Anyone else have this problem? Desperate for a solution ASAP!!!!!!!!!
80nauts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80nauts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2005 at 3:32am
Go rent a storage shed for the summer. Do it near your favorite lake. If you are any distance from the lake then it will somewhat pay for itself considering the price of gas. Sometimes it is worth paying a little dough to get rid of problems. I think that is what the Maffia does and it seems to work for them.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2005 at 7:47am
Sounds like a good idea to me HOWEVER..... I'd be worried that the wheels/rollers you install would create more of a "clearance" problem and/or whether or not the prop guard would be able to with stand alot of the stress cause all the weight of the boat and trailer would be transfered off the main wheels to your "prop guard wheels" for a second or two. I'd call the trailer maufacturer to see what they had to say about the idea.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2005 at 11:23am
Maybe try a dropped hitch alot lower than what you have just to get in the driveway.
Tim D
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2005 at 12:26pm
I have the same problem, but I can get it up my driveway with enough effort and cringing. I have done some research on putting wheels on the prop guard, and from what I have seen, it is the preferred solution by many. In fact some trailer manufacturers have it as an option. I am going to use heavy duty fixed casters rated somewhere between 800 - 1000 lbs.

Someone else here on the board steered me in this direction and even provided links to photos of such a setup. If I have time, I will try to find the post and link to it.

Found it!
Carl View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2005 at 2:57pm
My dad used to put some boards out from the street to the top of the initial driveway approach with blocks underneath to "flatten" the approach. It worked pretty well on a fairly large boat. It's a pain if you take the boat in and out often.

I have managed it by backing in at an angle and having the trailer tire roll up over part of the curb. This gives me enough lift in my driveway to get in without scraping. Depends on how steep the approach is as to whether this will work.
new86owner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new86owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2005 at 3:09pm
Here's the pic.

Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2005 at 4:21pm
I asked the folks at TechSun if they could put air shocks on the trailer so I could air it up when I left the marina. Sounds reasonable to me but for some reason they didn't like the idea. Maybe it's a safety and liability issue.

If the low riders can make a car go up and down it seems a trailer could do that too.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2005 at 4:28pm
It would be a hassle to add air shocks to your trailer and realy wouldn't help anyway considering that most trailler have no shocks to start with and that the springs would limit the travel to about a half inch if your lucky.
A trailers suspension is not set up like a car's or trucks. The correct way to address the problem is exactly the way the picture new86owner posted. .02
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2005 at 5:33pm
Grainger has a 5" Extra Heavy Duty Phenolic fixed wheel (#2G176, about $26.00/ea.) rated at 1500 lbs. I would prefer a 4" wheel, but the highest rated 4" wheel I could find is rated at 800 lbs (#2G096/7, blue/white powder coated). I would prefer the 4" wheel and the powder coating is enticing (about $40.00/ea.). Does anyone think the 800 lb wheel would be an issue or should I stick with the 1500 lb wheel?
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2005 at 6:27pm
That amount of psi for small wheels would probably put ruts in hot asphalt.
Tim D
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2005 at 6:45pm
You are probably right; however, my driveway is concrete so this should not be an issue. I just do not want to replace the wheel too often due to overloading it. I figure if I have two wheels rated at a total of 1600 lbs I should be ok. If I assume total weight of boat and trailer is no more than 3000 lbs and half of total weight would be on small wheels at worst case, then I have a 100 lb safety factor agains overloading 800 lbs rated wheel.
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2005 at 11:13pm
Thanks all......I was able to line it up straight and put down an 8 foot 2x12 under each tire and drive right up....no problem. It only took a few minutes, and was worth the trouble. Thanks for all the advice!!
Frank View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2005 at 3:42am
Maybe you should permanently attach the 2x12's to your trailer.
ty View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2005 at 3:21pm
I have flipped the axels so the springs are on top also changed to torsion axles custom made ones have dofferent degress of down angle to give more or less hight
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic