Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

new prop

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DJ77skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ77skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new prop
    Posted: July-02-2009 at 3:21am
hey guys had a bad day last weekend as i hit something in the water and bent my prop. as soon as i hit it i shut it down and dove down for inspection of prop, shaft, rudder, and skeg. nothing that i could tell of so i start it up and give it a try, lots of vibration on acceleration, would not go much. backed it down and ideled to the launch. no vibration at low rpms. got home inspected and took prop off, sat it on table and looks slightly off, shaft seems ok. so i called skidim and ask about props and what was best for my rig ( 77 american skier PCM 302 w/12x15rh prop ). they told me that for wakeboarding with ballast to go with the OJ 13x13 4 blade. my question is does that seem like to much for my little motor to turn and should i be worried about my tranny? i just thought about going with the oj 12x13 3 blade. how much clearence should i have between prop and boat? any replies would be a help and let me sleep a little better until arival. thanks
DJ77skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ77skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2009 at 3:29am
also why does my boat bow hop so bad at anything over 36mph? also motor is fresh 63 hours. thanks and sorry for so many questions
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2009 at 10:42am
DJ,
With a larger diameter prop, I'd worry about the hull clearance too. It's supposed to be 10% of the prop diameter but most you see will be less. Vibration from prop cavitation as well as hull rash/prop burn (chunks of gel eroded around the prop) are a commom result of running too large a diameter. Why are you calling Skidim? Call the prop guys -OJ and Acme!!!

The hopping or porpoising could be extra weight especially aft. Does your boat have water soaked foam?

BTW, it doesn't sound like your prop is that bad. Take it in and have it repaired (or do you want a new prop!!)

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DJ77skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ77skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2009 at 2:30am
well the prop will be here tomorrow. i called skidim because thats who i buy 90% of my parts from. i ended up calling OJ today and talk with them and they said it would work. my prop isnt to bad but it didnt like ballast, 4 riders, and a boarder out of the hole and it didnt hold speed well. ill update when i recieve it.
DJ77skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ77skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2009 at 3:05am
Ok guy's I received my prop UPS got here about 7:00pm so no time to try it out Friday. Got it out Sat. morning and man this is what my boats been missing all all along. The holeshot and just all around pull was very stong, even with 6 people and 250# ballast. I gained alot of fuel economy from not bogging on the holeshot and when pulling up a boarder. Between my new prop and pylon. this boat has come alive. I also have well over an inch clearence between the hull.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2009 at 1:19pm
DJ,
So which prop did you get? The 12x15 or the 13x13?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DJ77skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ77skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2009 at 3:07pm
I had the 12x13 3 blade now i have the 13x13 4 blade.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic