NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

why does correct craft turn props rh rotation

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 11:05am
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

Correct Craft boats originally started with the steering wheel on the LEFT hand side of the boat. So, with a RH rotation prop it would lift the drivers side being the driver is the only one in the boat at the time. Correct Craft eventually moved the steering wheel to the right of the boat and by that time the hulls were sophisticated enough to accept the RH rotation even with the helm on the right side of the boat. It's been a CC tradition and just stuck apparently. (I heard this from a maloon I believe...)

If any of you disagree or heard anything else please don't be afraid to let me know, this is just what I heard!!

Port side helms on old CC's??? Billy is correct that prop rotation and helm position has been discussed at length. Briefly, it's due to the flywheel forward position of the old marinized engines that need a RH prop.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 11:51am
and....the engines couldnt turn high RPM's and a bigger prop was needed, along with the narrow boats they would torque
"the things you own will start to own you"
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 11:58am
What if you're on an uphill lake?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

What if you're on an uphill lake?

Greg,
What about your lake? At times they seem to draw out so much water that you would be going downhill! BTW, how is the water level this summer?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 12:45pm
The water level here at Lanier is in the middle of a law suit that's almost 20 years old.   

Happily we are only 6.46 feet low and that is so much nicer than where we were last year at 20'+ and we have been getting the rain that seemed to go somewhere else this year.

You know when a train goes around a corner, everyone has to lean against the side of the train on the inside of the curve. Does that work with boats?    
1988 BFN-sold

The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2009 at 1:32am

Mr. Ralph will be at LG09 and he can answer this question to all.

And he will tell everyone why the steering wheel is on the right side of the boat as well.

And he will tell you the story behind Correct Craft.

This will be once in a live time to meet this great man in person.

So please try to make the event!!     He has told me the story, but I will let you hear it from him..

Dave
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2009 at 9:02am
Mr. Ralph will make you feel like a best friend as soon as you shake hands with him. I met him once and won't forget it. His signature will be on proud display at the Chattahoochee run!     
1988 BFN-sold

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2009 at 9:08am
Dave if that's the case then will someone PLEASE make sure that we get that on video. That would totally AWESOME!   
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2009 at 9:39am

Let me see what I can do..
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2009 at 10:24am
its because tournament ski boats run counter clockwise on the lake and this prevents the driver from falling out on the left turns, they do this with Nascars too, heavier springs on the right side of the car
"the things you own will start to own you"
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2009 at 1:41pm
Is that why tires only go flat on the bottom?

Ever wonder why Cranes have long legs?
So they can reach the ground!

Do vegetarians eat animal crackers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic