Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

78 SN with problems

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
scomer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 78 SN with problems
    Posted: March-31-2005 at 3:13am
I'm in the process of rewiring my 78 SN. It has a 351 Commander. it has been setting up for about 12 years and about 2 or 3 years ago I pulled it out of the barn and tried to get it running. The first thing i did was ordered a electronic ignition conversion kit and plugs,wires, dist. cap from the local Napa, had the carb rebuilt, and had the starter rebuilt. I put all this back on and it wouldn't start. I thought I followed the directions that come with the electronic ignition exactly but it was acting as though it was 180 degrees out on the timing. I tried everything I could think of and still no luck.
I ordered an owners manual from "Woody" @ S.E. CC which had the firing order along with a wiring diagram. checked everything again and it still no luck. well by this time I'm pouring gas in the carb to make sure that it was getting fuel and seeing that I'm pouring from a five gallon jug, yes i spilt it on the intake and wiring harness in the process. well instead of cleaning up my mess before trying to start again I was aggrivated and tired and tried one more time. well you can imagine what happened next when it backfired through the carb. MAN WHAT A FIRE! it probably wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't knocked a can of ether off the side rail and if it hadn't busted when it landed on the jack stand sitting by the boat. well it sprayed starting fluid back into the air comimg over the boat. the fire died down when the can lost it's pressure (about 2 seconds) but the gas on the intake was still burning so I finally got out grabbed the dogs water bucket soaked the engine and the fire was out I climbed back in and threw all my tools out into the driveway and hooked the tractor up took it and put it back behind the barn again. well it's been three years and I have finally got over my being mad at the boat and I'm gonna try again. Which finally brings me to the problem at hand.

I've pulled the motor and have it on my workbench to rewire and try again.

Can I replace my clip down prestolite distributor that i tried to put the conversion kit in and replace the whole thing with a new electronic distributor. my motor is not reverse rotation so can I put a regular MALLORY or MSD distributor in? I give up on the conversion kit unless someone has some new ideas. I'm having trouble rewiring because whoever had the boat before me cut and spliced the wires and what i see doesn't match the diagram in the owners manual. Does anyone have a repair manual for this motor that would be a little more detailed than the owners manual. please help with any ideas how to get it running.   
SCOMER
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2005 at 12:43pm
Scomer:

First, you should purchase an electronic marine distributor to help gaurd against another fire. I am glad you were not injured.

The other thing that worries me in your description of trying to start the engine is liquid locking the cylinders by pouring so much fuel down the throat of the carb. It will act just like water if it does not ignite and you can damage pistons and rods in the process. You should do a compresion test to determine the health of your engine. If all is well, figure out the ignition system.

I really would have to look at my boat to give you solid instructions, but the ignition system is really simple. But, the first thing you should do is disconnect the tach wire (purple, I think) from the coil. A bad tach (shorted) can ground out the coil and prevent a strong spark. So eliminate that variable. Next, if you added a pointless distributor, you should have removed the ballast resistor; otherwise, you will get a weak spark. Now, go ahead a replace the coil...they are cheap. Finally check the circuits/wiring, you should have 12V at the "+" side of the coil (red or orange wire?) when the ignition is on. The "-" side of the coil (black wire) goes to the distributor (and tach). It is that simple.

If the distributor is 180 degrees out, you will get severe backfiring through the carb. The rotor should point to the #1 wire on the compression stroke at TDC. Either look down the spark plug hole (if possible), use the compression gauge or use your finger to determine when #1 cynlinder is on the compression stroke. The timing mark should give you close enough to TDC.

Hope this helps and good luck.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2005 at 1:17pm
I would suggest upgrading to the new style internally regulated alternator and wiring harness from skidim as well since it sounds like your harness is a little crispy. And a can off carb cleaner or ether is better than the raw gas. If you move the throttle and gas squirts out then you have gas at the carb and there is no need for the extra fuel. When you get everything back together and are still having problems check one thing at a time to narrow down the problem, move the throttle and watch for gas in the throat of the carb, if you see gas then your ok, if not then replace the fuel filters,check fuel pump, check for bad fuel lines or blockage in a line, now check the ignition system, check for spark at the plug, if you don't have spark, then check for incorrect wiring, voltage at the coil, the rotor is in place under the dist cap, check for a bad coil and track it down until you have spark. Now once you have fuel and spark it comes down to timing and the carb adjustments.
scomer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2005 at 3:01pm
Thanks for the input,

David F, you had a good idea about the tach. I had no idea about that, but I do now that something is wrong with the tach because it is stuck on 2300 rpm's when the boat is turn off and I did did get it started for a few minutes before attempting to install the conversion kit( couple of years ago)and when it did run the tach was delayed and working
sporadicly. There is definitely something wrong with it.

I will check the compression on all cylinders.
I didn't pour that much in the carb, actually i spilt more on the intake than in the carb.

When I installed the electronic ignition pick up in the distributor could i have put the pick up in 180 degrees off? I checked it last night and it will bolt in two ways. but if I did install it in backwards It should have worked when I tried Moving the distributor 180 degrees. I have tried everything i could think of as far as the firing order. I haven't tried but I will bypass the resistor to. When I bought the kit it had one small page in it regarding installation and I don't remember anything being mentioned about the resistor.

79Nautique- I was gonna make a new harness but if I can buy one that will eliminate my external voltage regulator along with a new alt. that may be the way to go. It would be less wires and I imagine every wire would have a place to go. Because I'm having trouble with the harness now since the previous owner had cut and spliced most of the wires and the colors didn't match the diagram I got from Woody and then I came along and Burnt them to add insult to injury.
I gonna try skidim online and see if I can find out more about the harness and alternator.

thanks
SCOMER
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2005 at 3:26pm
Definately get rid of the resistor. The ballast resistor's only purpose is to lower the voltage at the coil to prevent burning of the point contacts. Since you eliminated the points, no need for the resistor. I believe ALL ignition modules can handle the full 12V continuous.

Not sure about mounting the module backwards, but do NOT install the distributor with the rotor 180 degrees out. Get the distributor in correctly, then play with the module orientation. I will not harm the engine, it just won't run without major backfiring. Also, if it fires, but does not catch, then play with the timing until it runs. You basically want the timing advanced so as to achieve the fastest and most steady idle. Then back it off a bit to avoid pre-ignition under load.

One last thing. Check your plugs and replace if necessary. No telling what they look like after years of inactivety.
Ignitor 1581 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ignitor 1581 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2005 at 3:46pm
If your electronic ignition is a Pertronix Ignitor model 1581 - DONT REMOVE THE BALLAST RESISTOR.

David F - although you really make some great post and I'm always anxious to read your input, you have on several occasions stated your theory or thoughts as though they are sum certain and pure fact.

I have never commented on your occasional error in the past, you always get so augmentative, but this particular item could end up costing this gentleman additional hardship and trouble.

Pertronix can be reached at 909-599-5955
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2005 at 5:19pm
I suppose the words "I believe" passed you by. Hardly the words of certainty. I added this precisely because there are exceptions to most rules. Usually when I am not certain I say as such and when it is my ippinion, I try to say that as well. Also, there are other ways of doing things in most cases, but that does not make one way wrong and other way correct. Interesting that you chose not to identify yourself (snip, oops). And when you comment on my errors, as you say (and yes I would expect there to be some), are you certain you are correct?

I never try to be argumentative, so if I am, I apologize. Also, I commend you on clearing up the Petronix/resistor thing, and it is always in everyone's best interest to read instructions when installing products.
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2005 at 5:35pm
I replaced my old '65 dist with this electric kit, not a conversion, & not cheap, but been running over 3 florida summers on it

http://ebasicpower.american-data.net/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=eBasicPower&Product_Code=BPIFRDKIT-1L&Category_Code=PLE5D
NO LONGER A MEMBER
Ignitor 1581 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ignitor 1581 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2005 at 6:18pm
David

My only problem with your post was the opening sentence.

"Definately get rid of the resistor".

I dont know how you see it, but that's a pretty straight forward instruction.

In regards to argumentative, your also very consistent.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2005 at 6:35pm
Ok, fair enough. Sorry.

I am not sure I understand the last statement, but oh well.
scomer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2005 at 1:32am
well now I'm a little confused because my conversion kit is a PERTRONIX and the number 1581-82 is stamped into the plate it also has a sticker on it that has "26T-V4".

I plan on calling pertronix tommorrow and try to find out a little more about this one.
SCOMER
Stan C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2005 at 3:19am
scomer
I know this might sound silly, but you said in your first post rhat you had the starter rebuilt at a napa store. Are you sure that they gave you a reverse rotation starter?
If you are cranking it the wrong way it will act exactly as you are describing. Just something else to check.
Stan C.
Stan C
scomer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2005 at 10:17am
Stan C - at this point nothing is silly. I'll try anything and to be honest with you I hadn't thought of that either but it makes since.
SCOMER
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2005 at 11:33am
scomer, I think Stan C might be onto something. You said in your original post "my motor is not reverse rotation", BUT, unless someone made a MAJOR change, your engine SHOULD be a reverse rotation (Right Hand) engine. Most, if not all, Correct Crafts from this era were originally RH (some have been changed). Look at your prop - it should be labeled RH or LH. If you stand behind your boat, the top of a RH prop turns right to push the boat forward.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
scomer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2005 at 12:32pm
ALLRIGHTYTHEN!!!!!

Well after a quick trip out in the rain to inspect my prop and then back to the shop to test the starter(for rotation). And I think I have found the problem, It's not the starter, it's not the rotation. IT'S THE MECHANIC!!!! HE DON"T KNOW HOW TO TELL WHICH WAY THE MOTOR ROTATES. I feel like such a Dumba@%. I had had been told by someone that you stand in front of the motor(back to the steering wheel) and if the Harmonic Bal. turns left it was a LH rotation(Regular) and if it turned right it was a RH(Reverse). that would explain why the motor was backfiring, it obviously didn't like the left hand rotation firing order I had put on it. This Is a good reason why I work as a mortgage lender and not a mechanic, I would starve to death as a mechanic!!!

Now before I get My hopes up to much are we sure that you check the rotation from behind the motor???? Instead of in front of the motor. ( not that I don't believe you Jameski but, as I have Learned from this site, everybody has a different opinion and they don't mind sharing them.) So i Guess I'm asking do we all agree that it is checked from behind the motor?
SCOMER
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2005 at 1:03pm
Stan C: Good call!

scomer: I never can remember if you look at the engine from the front or back to tell rotation, but it makes sense to me that you would look from the back, then counter clockwise is LH and clockwise is RH. Since I have no idea if this is good information (and the way I check) is to compare the rotation to your car. Knowing that your car is standard rotation, if your boat engine is opposite, it is reverse rotation. Also, your prop should have the "LH" (standard) or "RH" (reverse) stamped on it at one (or both) ends of the hub.

Now since I have never had to deal with a reverse rotation Ford (my '77 is LH. Someone probably changed it before I bought it), I cannot tell you for sure the firing order. I did have a Chevy reverse rotation once and all you had to do is swap the #1 and #8 plug wires at the distributor cap to get from standard to reverse rotation firing order. I would be willing to bet that the PCM manual located in the Reference section would have the proper reverse rotation firing order listed somewherei in the manual.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2005 at 2:00pm
Good call Stan, that was the last thing most everyone would have thought of.
per PCM View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote per PCM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2005 at 3:11pm
Fords reverse rotation firing order is 18456273 and fords standard rotation is 13726548.
Also Per PCM View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Also Per PCM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2005 at 3:31pm
A right hand rotation turns counter clockwise when viewed from the front
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic