Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Seering pulls to the right

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Chip_S View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chip_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seering pulls to the right
    Posted: March-30-2005 at 5:04am
I bought my '82 Ski Nautique last year and my steering has always pulled to the right over 20 mph. My front blade (of the 3 tracking blades underneath) is bent 3/4" to the right. Is this the problem? Or is there something else going on? Thanks
Richard Wong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Wong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2005 at 3:30pm
1 )Should first reshape the unblanced popeller or change a good one.

2 )Trim the small fins attach to the rudder that can affect the boat tend to left or right.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2005 at 5:44pm
Uh, does an '82 have fins on the rudder? You should have the fin straightened first to eliminate the possibility of the fin causing problems. Then, I THINK you can grind one side of the trailing edge of the rudder to help correct a pull. Not sure which side, but I think opposite side as pull. You should get a second oppinion from mine before grinding rudder.
mrese View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2005 at 7:25pm
It is suppose to pull, so as to create a positive steering gradient. This helps to better control the boat while driving though the slalom course. Yes, you can grind the rudder, but it is extremly hard to ungrind it if you make a mistake.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2005 at 7:58am
I thought engine/prop torque created a natural pull? Same as in reverse?
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2005 at 12:17pm
I tend to agree with both post above. Some pull is probably good. I would think excessive pull is bad and possibly dangerous. You would not want the boat to go into a sharp turn when letting go of the steering wheel. A drift to one side is OK (IMHO). You could probably dial out most, if not all pull, by grinding the rudder, but is this desirable?

As for reverse, I think that is more a function of prop torque unrelated to rudder or boat dynamics and as such nothing can be done about it.

So, you could grind your rudder knowing that if you make a fatal mistake, tunable rudders cost about $450.00
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2005 at 2:35pm
Dont use a grinder, use a file and file it. Do a little at a time and then test drive til you get the desired result. It does not take that much filing. Like David said its only a $450 mistake if you take too much off.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2005 at 5:39pm
Hey Darrel. Are you back on the river yet?

If you file too much material from one side of the rudder, I suppose you could file the other side to compensate. I doubt you would notice the minor loss of rudder surface area.
mrese View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2005 at 12:22am
64 skier,

In regards to the prop torque and pull, I can tell you an 89 hull with the stock federal prop will yaw to the left when there is a complete absence of a rudder. Granted there may be some influence of drag as the water flowed across where the rudder snapped off before it sank to the bottom of the lake. But it looks like a pretty smooth surface so I don't think that was too much of factor in the yaw direction.......Anybody have a rudder to fit an 89 2001?
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2005 at 2:49pm
Yes David, Back on the water but...now off.
Another wakeboarding injury and the ortho thinks its torn ACL and Miniscus, waiting for results from mri. So looks like im a boat driver this summer. I filed the rudder on your 93 specifically for the ski course. If you still have it you can see which side we worked for steering tension.
Send me more pictures as you make more progress on the ski nautique. Summer is just around the corner.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2005 at 10:46pm
I know the feeling. I had my ACL reconstructed almost two years ago along with cleaning up a small miniscus tear. I did mine on the basketball court. The ACL rupture felt like someone hit me in the leg with a BFH. Everyone on the court heard it let go. It's pretty much good as new now. Hope yours turns out not so serious!

Just before I tore my ACL, I started to get into wakeboarding. After surgery, I decided to stay off wakeboards and leave it to the younger kids. Not willing to risk the knee again.

I will try to send you pictures....making progress. All but two sections are structurally repaired (two foot section of the chine and portion of the deck I cut out to fix the crushed area at the top and bottom section seam). Now it is mostly a lot if sanding a shaping to get the form back. And of course the gelcoat work.

I just got all the black metal pieces back from the powder coater. Man do they look nice. The project has turned into a full restoration.
hyper1685 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hyper1685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2005 at 2:52am
I just put an ACME 540 prop on my 86, and it fixed 90% of the steering problem you are talking about.
Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic