NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering wheel removal???

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering wheel removal???
    Posted: March-29-2005 at 4:28am
Thanks to this site, I just purchased a 63 American Skier. Ive been working on a "few" things and am having a hard time trying to remove the steering wheel. It looks like its on a taperd and keyed shaft. I cant seem to find a small puller to fit thru the slots in the hub.
Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to remove it?
Also, I may be looking for a "better" wheel, Are the steering mount sizes'standard? thanks!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2005 at 8:55am
If there are no threaded holes on the wheel hub you need to find a automotive mechanic that works on old cars from the mid 50's back. Snap on tools made a puller that hooks the backside of the wheel(like a fork). This is the proper tool to use without damaging the wheel. A 3/4" tapered shaft with a key or sometimes pin that looks like a key until you remove the wheel is standard. Many older boats pre-1960 use a spline center wheel because most builders where using automotive steering columns back then. These columns use a steering rod running through the bilge instead of a steering cable. Glad to be of help.
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2005 at 5:51pm
Nate: Just to be picky, the newer boats also use the splined shaft such as my '93 SN. Replacement wheels for the tapered shafts are common whereas I had to get my replacement wheel from CC due the splined shaft (tilt helm) which is less common.

I agree, a gear puller should get the tapered wheel off, whereas the splined wheel comes off easily. Gear pullers are relatively cheap. Harbor freight has them for under $15.00 I am guessing.
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2005 at 7:31pm
Since its a '63 model, I would spray some penatrating oil like PB blaster or something for a few days. Be sure to leave the nut screwed onto the shaft so its flush with the end so's not to foul the shaft threads with the puller
NO LONGER A MEMBER
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2005 at 8:01am
AutoZone will let you take a puller home and return for a small deposit. It's a great puller. The Grant wheels they have are pretty resonable if the shaft works for you.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2005 at 2:23pm
Your right some tilt wheels use a spline shaft
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2005 at 3:38am
Anyone got a sledge hammer?
Im still trying to get the wheel off. Ive got it soaking. We made a double-plated puller , but still no luck. I may leave pressure on it a few days ,along with penatrating fluid.

The shaft does look like its got a keyway, but I cant see a key. Anyway, thanks for the input so far!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2005 at 12:28pm
With pressure on the puller, and after a good soaking in penetrating oil, give a some good taps with a hammer on either the steering wheel hub or the end of the shaft (if possible with puller in place). Be careful not to booger up the end of the shaft. The tapping with the hammer sets up vibrations which can break loose rust or just help turn it loose.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2005 at 12:42pm
I think 62 Wood is saying it's our fault he bought the boat and is now suffering over a stuck steering wheel.

Welcome to ya 62. You just have to know, if working on it is not at least half the fun, you better sell it.

Post some pics as soon as you can. I would like to see it. What engine are you running?
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2005 at 6:21am
Jim in houston, working on them is half the fun.... Ive restored cars for years, but working on boats is relatively new to me. Im also restoring a wooden 1962 higgins.
Thanks for all the suggestions on the wheel! I ended up making a puller from some 3/16" steel stock. Penetrating fluid,a hammer and a "little" persuation worked! It has a tapered shaft with a roll pin to locate steering wheel. I found an era correct wheel on ebay that looks pretty good for now..

Im getting anxious to get her in the water, but it still needs a new strut bearing put in. Any hints?

The 'skier has an inline 6 ford (not sure of size or marine conversion?) At first I wasnt too sure about a six banger ,but supposedly does good on fuel.

Only thing left is to give her a name? Thanks again for all the help!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2005 at 10:56am
You are so right. Anyone who does not enjoy working on these things better not buy on. I enjoy turning bolts too.

I am interested in your Higgins. Can you email so photos to jim@drivesys.com?
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic