Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

White Exhaust

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Rob View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: White Exhaust
    Posted: March-27-2005 at 8:04pm
Have I blown a head gasket? Getting white exhaust out of both pipes... Any help would be much appreciated.
Rob
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2005 at 10:27pm
is it steam or smoke? does it didapate after a couple of feet?
Rob View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2005 at 10:45pm
It's definitely steam...

Originally posted by 882001 882001 wrote:

is it steam or smoke? does it didapate after a couple of feet?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2005 at 3:01pm
Since the head gasket is blown it would surprice me if it wasn't smoking. White smoke equalls water in the combustion chamber, blue smoke is oil and black or gray is rich fuel mixture. So Rob what kind of help do you need?

Re-build the engine or at least replace the head gasket and have the heads done.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2005 at 4:18pm
Perhaps start with a compression test
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2005 at 4:28pm
"GottaSki" is right on. Pay close attention to your spark plugs when you remove them. You might see moisture on the plug thats the culprit.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2005 at 6:58pm
Just thought of another something..
A raw water pump with the gazinta and gazouta mixed up will produce those symtoms too..

With boats getting reasembled for the season, it happens.
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2005 at 7:44pm
Rob, Pull the spark plugs and if in fact a head gasket is blown, you'll be able to see it on the plugs and which side head needs to come off. If though all plugs look good, and engine cranks over easy when at operating temp, I would run it, I don't really suspect BOTH gaskets would be blown and you not have a major engine miss, as you say you have steam coming out of both pipes.... just my .02
NO LONGER A MEMBER
83sn2001 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83sn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2005 at 10:55pm
A quick way to check for a blown head gasket is to remove all the spark plugs and spin the engine over and look for water shooting out of the holes.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2005 at 12:14am
Maybe it just the atmospheric conditions combined with the water temperature. Do not be too quick to condeem the engine. My boat will steam like crazy when I go out at daylight during the summer on a cool lake feed from the bottom of a 180' dam.
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2005 at 11:29pm
all the inboards i have ever been in steam.t
Rob View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2005 at 6:45pm
Thanks to everyone for their input. I will take a close look when I get the boat ready for this summer.
Rob
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2005 at 7:23pm
Like 882001 said, when the thermostat opens you'll see steam, especially if the water/air is cool. If there is a blown head gasket you will see beads of water on a spark plug or two and the oil will get milky. It may or may not run rough with a blown head gasket, but when mine blew a head gasket I never saw excessive steam. The intake gasket can leak water at the front or rear causing water to enter the combustion but this too could effect performance.
Tim D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic