NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advise on using synthetic oil

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SkiLew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiLew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advise on using synthetic oil
    Posted: March-15-2005 at 10:52am
Is anyone using synthetic oil? I have a 1993 Ford 351 engine with the GT-40 heads. What is the recommended weight oil for this engine and is it ok to use synthetic oil?

Also need to know what temperature thermostat to use.

Thanks
Skilew
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2005 at 11:13am
read synthetic oils in general discussion,page one.you be the judge.
someone else can answer the thermostat question for you cause i'm clueless.
kenny g
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2005 at 1:36pm
I use a 160 degree thermostat in mine, others use anything from that to say a 185 degree thermostat. Your choice on the syn oil, I'm not a big fan of it but to each their own.
Bradley950 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradley950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2005 at 12:26pm
See my post in the general discussion section of the forums!! -Brad-
Brad Miller
bradley950@yahoo.com
raygunclan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raygunclan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2005 at 5:48pm
hey skilew
for what its worth, we took our volvo s80 to the shop today b.c the oil light was on and it turns out that they synthetic oil that we pay EXTRA for has gummed up our engine. good thing its only going to cost $1500 to fix! so much for the monster tower!!!
who needs a mortgage when you have a boat!?!?
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2005 at 8:51pm
It is not likely that the synthetic gummed up the engine. What may be likely is that the synthetic loosened the gum/sludge from the dino oil and it caused problems at the pressure sensor. If the oil pressure light came on, you either had a oil pump failure (rare), a pressurefilter bypass failure or a sender failure. So, what is happening that it costs $1500.00 (a new oil pump)? I find it hard to believe that synthetic oil was the lone culprit. I suppose it is possible that it was a coincidence.
$1500 in the hole View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote $1500 in the hole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2005 at 2:17am
my tech told me that synthetic oils were originally developed for planes. it seems though, that they "sludged" up the engines and there have been multiple deaths b/c of this problem. the $1500 comes from the labor involved to remove and clean the pan and remove and clean the head. also, my rods need to be replaced as well as other stuff, none of which i know a thing about, or even what the heck they are or where they are located. i'm trying to figure out how to fix up our boat and this whole fiasco happens with our car!!! any chance you know how to remove a carburetor and think someone who doesn't know how to change the oil in a car could remove it? my hubby would be so proud! thanks!
suzanne
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2005 at 6:22pm
Did you get a second oppinion? "Sludge" is a by product of the parafin found in all dino oil. Oil from the Northeast part of the country have the most parafin (i.e. Penzoil). The additives in dino oil keep the parafin in suspension so they do not collect inside your engine. The additives get "used up" over time, hence the need to change dino oil more frequently. You do not want to allow this sludge to form.

Now, synthetics do NOT have any parafin present, so they do not and cannot cause or produce sludge. Based on this, I would get a second opinion because it sounds like the present mechanic is feeding you a line of garbage. With all that said, I have heard that synthetic can loosen sludge (due to cleaning effect of synthetic oils) caused by dino oil and maybe this plugged an oil passage that caused damage. Not likely, but I suppose it is possible if you let the engine go long periods of time between oil changes, but hey then you should expect problems anyway.

FWIW, sludge does collect in the pan and head. If the connecting rods need to be replaced (very rare) then you need a complete engine rebuild as most if not all components will be worn beyond service tolerances. Please do your homework on this one to avoid gettng a partial repair that will cause you problems in the short term. Good luck.
jschallick View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jschallick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2005 at 5:43pm
i run a fast lube in ohio. one thing that i have found is that synthetic oils do truly outlast regular oils. one thing is for sure,and not everyone will agree,but you can also gain performance from it. i picked up a considerable amount of power from using it in my drag car. but on the other hand,synthetic oil has a tendency of finding minor leaks on your motor.trust me, we have seen this many times,but you can easily run this oil for a whole season in your boat.my nautique already leaks.so i dont run it in mine.
jschallick View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jschallick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2005 at 5:50pm
by the way,if them valve covers or rear main seals are leaking,i wouldnt run synthetic.take it from a man who knows his lubricants...all jokes aside.run castrol gtx 10w40.it readily withstands my harsh abuse.
raygunclan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raygunclan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2005 at 6:24pm
well, $2300 later...
the volvo is fixed (like my dog and husband! ) and i did some research on the "sludge" issue. it seems that mercedes, saab, audi, vw and toyota (maybe others) have extended their warranties (saab within the last 2 months) to 8 years to cover sludge! vovle has alot of issues with sludge with their s80's, which we have, but when i called them, they said that they had never heard of such a thing! oh well! my husband has thought of 2300 things we could have done with that $2300! i reminded him that we saved 4 times that by buying the car on ebay! granted i had to fly to nyc, take a $40 cab ride to brooklyn to pick the car up at this guy's HOUSE, get stuck IN BROOKLYN for about 4 hours because some white tiger had escaped onto the freeway, but we still got a good deal!
who needs a mortgage when you have a boat!?!?
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2005 at 7:47am
There are three basis of oil,paraffin asphalt and synthetic.
Go to /www.viperclub.org/articles/oilfaq.html
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2005 at 10:48am
I agree with DavidF on the sludge. I have almost 200,000 miles on my truck and with synthetic oil there was no sludge at all, clean as a whistle on the inside. At about 160,000 miles I switched to dino oil because the synthetic started leaking out, mostly around the oil pan. To fix the simple problem, and being 4x4, I had the option of pulling the engine or the front drive assembly or switched to regular oil, which hardly leaks now. On the thermostat, anywhere between 140 and 160. My Mustang has 142.
Tim D
Alan-S View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2005 at 12:19pm
I have been runnnig synthetic AMS Oil in my 01 SAN, it does not leak, very very smoth operation and I change the oil once a year. 700+ hrs. 160 thermo.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2005 at 10:06pm
Everyone has an opinion about oil. Me? I like the white bottles with the green caps. Now my Ex had some synthetic things about her, I have since sworn off anything synthetic.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2005 at 2:23am
vince told me to run a 143 in salt water and a 160 in fresh i have no idea why. we put synthetic in a motor cycle with a wet clutch. it was so slick it wouldnt even move. that sold me.
SkiLew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiLew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2005 at 11:25pm
Thanks, for all the replies and the help.

And by the way the corrosion rate increases with temperature thus the reason for the lower temp thermostat in salt water (143°).

SkiLew
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic