NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 Destroyed. Repower.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Dallas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT40 Destroyed. Repower.
    Posted: March-05-2005 at 11:32pm
Well the verdict is out. My engine is shot, cracked block. One major lapse in judgement and I am paying big for it. My tax free deployment funds will not even begin cover what this is going to cost me.

I am in the research phase of picking out a new motor. I am probably going to drop a crate motor in under the existing EFI system. Let me know if any one has any experience with ford racing crate motors or any other performance motors. I am lookin for arround 350hp and 400lbs of torque.

"Life is hard,...its even harder if you are stupid".
Dallas
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2005 at 3:51am
Why not go out and buy a Block from a junkyard or a Short Block and get out the wrenches. Boring 030 and new pistons are cheap compared to a Crate.

Take that thing apart...everything on it and caliper....the bores look great...except for the obvious so the rest of the engine can save you a lot of money.

It's that cold in Dallas?

Good Luck,
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
Dallas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2005 at 4:15am
Thanks, Ihave thought of that but, I just dont have the time to put into it.I may work on that project after I replace the engine, but for now I spend to much time away from home to spend the little bit I am at home turning wrenches and not spending time with my wife and kids. As for location, I am in TN/KY. I didnt think it would get cold quite as early as it did here....obviously.
Thanks
Dallas
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2005 at 12:00pm
i had a long block built at a local race shop for1600.00 or1800.00 cant remember exactly. but a short block would be even cheaper. couple hours pulling motor, wait a couple weeks for rebuild another couple hours reinstalling, no problem
GottaSki View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2005 at 5:44pm
To realize those numbers you'll need to shretch the 351 into a 396 stroker plus aftermarket heads. The EFI system will need some research if it can handle the extra airflow. Sound slike a lot of work and $
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2005 at 12:17am
A reconditioned 351 block with slightly more compression in the neighborhood of 9.5:1 or 10:1, a slightly more agressive cam profile, along with a massaging of those GT-40 heads, assuming they're not cracked, and you're at the 350 HP plateau. You may be closer to the $2500-3000 range with the new block and head work, but you should have the reliability you started out with the ProBoss. Since you have what is hopefully a standard rotation engine, the job of finding or ordering the desirable short block is significantly easier.

The idea of the stroker, especially the popular 392, will easily and reliably give you 350+ horses and the price is in the $3300+/- range and lower. But that doesn't include the teardown and re-installation. I still like that option, however, as you can have all the torque in the world and not turn over 48-5000 rpm, and everything interchanges.      
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Dallas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2005 at 7:27pm
Reid,
Thanks for your insight. I have done a good bit of research and talked to some people who build performance engines; the hp and torque numbers I am looking for are pretty doable with the 351 and a couple of high performance head and intake combos. One of my concerns is the EFI ECU, it may (almost positive) will need to be remaped because the PCM chip isnt adaptive. No real drama from what I understand a laptop and some test runs under load.

I apreciate all of the personal opinions and insights with this repower. There is a lot of great experience with inboard power plants on this site, its been a big help.

Thanks all
Dallas
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic