Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oil drain bolt

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
68 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil drain bolt
    Posted: March-02-2005 at 9:11pm
Does any body know what size the oil drain bolt on my 68 260 ford is. I would like to replace it with one that has a drain hoes tapped in it. It would be nice to put the hose threw the drain in the bottom of the boat and catch the oil from under the boat. I bought one from Overtrons years ago but it was the wrong size. Thanks
68 Mustang
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2005 at 9:43pm
Hey 68. A little departure from your question but I have to ask: Are you sure your '68 has a 260? My understanding is that CC went to a 289 in 1968. That probably has no bearng on your drain plug size however.
If you are sure you have a 260, how do you know? Now I have to worry as to whether or not I have a 260 or a 289. Disettling.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
68 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2005 at 2:07am
I'm not positive but my source is the 68 sales brochure. It gave two options for the motor 165hp and 210hp. Mine has a old but orginal silver and black sticker that has 165hp on it. I alway thought the boat had a 302 in it but the low hp made me wonder. Then I found this sight and was looking at the 66 price list and the mustang came with two motor options 170cu in @100hp and the 260cu in. @165hp. So my guess is that my interceptor is the 260cu in. model being the 165hp match up.I would like to think it is bigger but it is what it is. What is your source for the 289 size. I would think it would have a little more hp than the 165 I have. Is that the 210hp offered in the 68 sale brochure.That also seems high for only 24 more cu in. to get 45 more hp.
68 Mustang
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2005 at 4:35am
My '64 had an engine that was built in '63 which was confirmed by running down the numbers. I thought it was a 260, but turned out to be a 289 with a solid lifter cam...that was a surprise. The Oil pan integrally mounts the engine and is aluminum. Can't help you with the bolt size...I'm not at home with the boat!
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2005 at 12:52pm
The only thing I have to go on is that the previous owner told me it was a "200 HP" engine. I have been assuming it was a 289. There is a number cast onto the block under the starter that indicates which block you have but I cannot see mine without pulling my starter.

I am in the process of replacing the heads with a GT-40P set I just purchased. When I remove the old heads I will be able to measure the bore and I will know for sure.

My engine has no Horsepower decal on it.

As far as 45 more HP, I have to agree with you. Those ratings should be taken with a grain of salt. Horsepower ratings are somewhat subjective. Manufacturers can be liberal, in either direction, when rating the horsepower output of equipment. Sometimes horsepower ratings are assigned for marketing purposes. It could be your 260 was rated on the low side while the 289s are rated on the high side. Who would pay a lot more for just a couple of additional HP? I remember back in the 60s - I had a friend with a 260 in a small Ford. It ran very strong! The 260 is no slouch. So, the answer is: who knows?
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2005 at 3:35pm
The bell housing is the way to tell if it's a 260. Everything else is the same between the 260,289, and the 302 as far as bolt-on. The intake, heads, timing gear cover, oil pan all interchange except the bell housing. The 260 has a smaller bell housing and smaller bolt pattern.
Tim D
1969cc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1969cc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2005 at 11:18pm
1968 Interceptor was a 289ci. It was offered in 4 horsepower versions: 165/190/200/210. I think the thread size is 1/2" X 20. I have the 165HP version in my 1969 Mustang.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic