Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

neutral safety switch

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
scharfenberg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scharfenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: neutral safety switch
    Posted: September-13-2008 at 10:27pm
If your neutral safty switch goes out can that effect you starting your boat?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2008 at 11:41pm
Jeff,
Take a look at the wiring diagram in this thread:
safety lanyard install
You'll see that the NSS is wired into the starter solenoid circuit. When the trans is in gear, the NSS opens preventing the solenoid coil from getting power when you turn the ignition switch.

What exactly is your problem? Won't the engine turn over?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2008 at 11:45pm
Yes, that is what it is for.....to prevent the engine from cranking when the transmission is in gear. It is only closed while in neutral. Remove one of the wires from the switch and attach it the the other side of the switch with the other wire and see if your boat will now crank. If it does you've found your problem. DO NOT leave it like this! Replace the switch if it is bad and wire it correctly. One more thing.....the NSS is only in the starting circuit. It dose not control current to the ignition. If your engine cranks but does not start, the NSS is not your problem. - Brian
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2008 at 11:48pm
Pete, I guess you and I were typing at the same time.....you beat me to the punch!

Former boats:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scharfenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2008 at 3:46am
The problem i'm having is, if i don't move the
throttle back and forth i get nothing, but if i do, i get a click sound? I change exhaust manifolds and ever since then it won't turn over. I did something crazy but i'm not sure what????   I did nothing but change the starboard manifold? I'm just dumbfounded.
The wiring diagram works. I understand, but I checked all that and still get a click?
How come you guys are not in new York????/??
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2008 at 5:20am
Bypass the NSS like suggested above and then try to start. Then if you only get a click and no cranking, chech the that your battery cables are good and tight. They may also require cleaning on the ends. Especially the ground cable where it is bolted to the block. Also make sure your battery is charged and in good condition.

Former boats:
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2008 at 10:14am
Originally posted by scharfenberg scharfenberg wrote:

The problem i'm having is, if i don't move the
throttle back and forth i get nothing, but if i do, i get a click sound? I change exhaust manifolds and ever since then it won't turn over. I did something crazy but i'm not sure what????   I did nothing but change the starboard manifold?

Follow Brian's recommendation above regarding checking out the problem after you get the click.

Regarding moving the helm back and forth to get that click, I have a feeling that when you changed out the manifolds the shift cable was moved/repositioned just enough to make a difference. Do you have a volt/ohm meter, DMM or a test light? Start at the trans shift lever with the shift cable disconnected. Using the meter or test light connected to the NSS move the shift lever on the trans back and forth and see what happens. It may be a simple as adjusting the cable at the lever. Get back to us with what you find and if needed proceed to step two!!

I'm not in NY because I made it to the GL reunion this summer. It would be nice to go to both reunions but time is a problem. Now as far as Brian not going, take a look at what kind of boat he has - he wasn't invited!! I'm just kidding of coarse as his boat choice of boat brand wouldn't make a difference. We'll get him into a CC soon!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2008 at 3:14pm
LOL......Pete I love your humor. I like a variety of inboard boats and I am a CC fan too. Just don't own one at the present. I got a super good deal on this bu and the quality of their boats is excellent. I became a member of this site because I found it to be the most comprehensive of all the forum sites around. The professionalism of this group is top notch. However I would feel a little shy around these guys if I showed up to an event with my bu....LOL.

Former boats:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scharfenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2008 at 1:05am
I will try all of this and get back to you guys. My mechanical abillities are limited but I think I could do this. Thanks guys.
dsums View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsums Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 12:27am
I currently have a 1987 Ski Supreme and a 2001 SN 196. I was having a similar problem with the Supreme. It started to take more and more fiddling with the throttle lever and the safety button for cold starts. I eventually bypassed the solenoid connections with a screwdriver to see if it would start and it fired right away. I went to the local auto parts store and bought a new solenoid. Five minutes labour and problem solved. Mine was mounted on the front of the port side engine head. 351 Ford Indmar conversion. Not a very expensive fix. Might be worth a try.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 8:16am
Originally posted by dsums dsums wrote:

I was having a similar problem with the Supreme. It started to take more and more fiddling with the throttle lever and the safety button for cold starts. I eventually bypassed the solenoid connections with a screwdriver to see if it would start and it fired right away. I went to the local auto parts store and bought a new solenoid. Five minutes labour and problem solved. Might be worth a try.

Jeff, Dale above lucked out with his problem being a solenoid and not being very expensive. (it could have been his ignition switch - known to go out) I mentioned above about step two using a volt ohm meter, DMM or a test light. If you don't have one, a cheap meter is less than $30 at the hardware store and you may find it handy around the house too. I always urge testing to determine the problem before changing out parts. It saves money and trips back and forth to the store! Don't become a "parts changer". You mentioned your abilities are limited but using a meter is pretty simple plus we're here to walk you through the testing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2008 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Jeff, Dale above lucked out with his problem being a solenoid and not being very expensive. (it could have been his ignition switch - known to go out) I mentioned above about step two using a volt ohm meter, DMM or a test light. If you don't have one, a cheap meter is less than $30 at the hardware store and you may find it handy around the house too. I always urge testing to determine the problem before changing out parts. It saves money and trips back and forth to the store! Don't become a "parts changer". You mentioned your abilities are limited but using a meter is pretty simple plus we're here to walk you through the testing.

Amen to that!

Former boats:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic