NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Yes... A gold medal for Belgium!!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes... A gold medal for Belgium!!
    Posted: August-25-2008 at 7:29am
After the silver medal for our girls running the 4 x 100m, we all watched Tia Hellebaut win the gold medal on saturday in the high jump event...

At least we got two medals... nut much but still proud of all our athletes that gave their best at the Bejing Olympics!

Best athletes for me were Michael Phelps (8 gold medals... wow!) and Usain Bolt (that's a crazy MF! ).
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 9:03am
Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

Usain Bolt (that's a crazy MF! ).

I met several guys like him in Jamaica...gals too. The trick is getting past being a tourist. After we cleared that checkpoint we were hanging with the happiest people I could imagine!

Tia Hell-a-butt?!!?   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 10:13am
I even sat through volleyball, but watching Usain was a highlight, he ran like the cops was chasing him. Phelps was another highlight, 1 million bonus from Speedo for the last gold and expected to earn 20 million a year in endorsements, only in America
"the things you own will start to own you"
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 7:38pm
Kristof, they need to include beer drinking as a new olympic sport. I'll bet you European's could win some gold in that, with all the special training with much better beer.    
ReidP
1973 Mustang

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2008 at 8:54pm
Kristof,Chocolate would be the second choice for ya'll to win. The southern boys would help with the training.......Billy
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2008 at 10:59am
Great idea Reid,but where are you going to find a amature? The Chinese are already being looked at for underage, think of the problems that would arise
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2008 at 9:51am
1.3 billion......100 medals
300 million .....110 medals
i think the Brits have the ratio's beat though
actually Belgium may have the ratio beat
42....2 medals
Kristoff, you guy's need to start reproducing
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2008 at 10:04am
No no Eric, this hanckerchief sized country is crowded enough...
We have a population density of 548,7 inhabitants per square mile...
Quite crowded, compared to your density of 50,9 inhabitants per square mile...
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2008 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Phelps was another highlight, 1 million bonus from Speedo for the last gold and expected to earn 20 million a year in endorsements, only in America

As someone who has dabbled in swimming for the past 43 years (and still at it, here are a few shots of me doing my best Phelps imitation, plus about 20 seconds, at a meet last spring)

and generally disappointed that swimming doesnt get the recognition it deserves, I was glad to see a swimmer being the rock star of these games. Hasnt happened since Spitz in 1972. I was sort of tuned into those games 36 years ago because I was at the 72 NCAA championships (as a spectator) where Spitz cleaned up in preparation for his trip to the Olympics where he got his seven golds.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2008 at 1:10pm
Why'd you leave out the part about what happened in the locker room afterwards?

I just can't resist. I'd never guess you were in your 50s.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2008 at 1:16pm

"what happens in the locker room stays in the locker room"
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2008 at 2:48pm
My son (waterskier2007) took up competitive swimming his senior year in high school. He did it thinking that diving would be cool. His coach saw him swim and told him he would not be diving. He was the fastest swimmer on the team in all four disciplines, but took to the butterfly for some crazy reason. He qualified for states that year, which was pretty cool. If I had to swim the fly to save my life, I'd be toast. That is one tough stroke.
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2008 at 4:25pm
since we are bragging about our kids, my daughter is 6 and got moved up to the 8 and 9 year olds on her swim team and against them she got a second place finish and the rest were first places, she starts september 2nd with a USA travel team,
rookie of the year, she has more trophies by the age 6, than i have all my life..she is built for swimming
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2008 at 4:36pm
Too bad he didn't discover the hidden talent earlier, but at least he got to enjoy it his senior year. Qualifyng for states is pretty impressive. Its a great sport. I like it because not only do you have the commraderie of being on a team, but your successes (or failures) are your own. Its not just we won (like baseball or football) Its "I won". And there is no subjective reffing or judging. The stopwatch doesn't lie. Either I'm faster or he's faster...period. It is probably the best work out you can get.
After decades, I can still attribute a reasonable level of fitness to it, I still have and make new friends through it, and I can still set and attempt to achieve goals through it, and the competition is for real, even at this age.

That's great Eric. Some kids burn out, others have long and rewarding careers. She's off to a good start. A kid from our local team made the O-trials this year. He actually made the finals at the trials, no small feat, but came in eighth. Swimming is tough, only the top two finishers go to the games.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2008 at 5:07pm
Larry
The practices (before and after school) were brutal. He was eating about 5000 calories a day and loosing weight. We had kids on the team who were doing it to stay in shape for other sports. They said swimming workouts were easily the hardest. My younger son swam as a freshman last year and will swim again this year. I think he will do well and break some of his brother's school records. (sorry Brendan)
Looks like you are also a flyer. Not bad at your age!
Steve
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2008 at 5:52pm
Belgium wins 1 gold medal and you guys hijack his thread. Sorry Kristof!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2008 at 6:04pm
Who cares about the medals they win in the Olympics. Look at all the medals they win for their beer.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2008 at 5:33am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Its a great sport. I like it because not only do you have the commraderie of being on a team, but your successes (or failures) are your own. Its not just we won (like baseball or football) Its "I won". And there is no subjective reffing or judging. The stopwatch doesn't lie. Either I'm faster or he's faster...period.

Agree completely on that! Up untill four years ago, I was part of the military swimming team. The workouts were brutal, the commraderie was great, and the successes very rewarding... And as you said: the stopwatch has the final word.

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2008 at 5:35am
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

Who cares about the medals they win in the Olympics. Look at all the medals they win for their beer.

I don't particularly care about those medals, but I love to drink it

And, as Bruce Almighty would say it: "it's good, gooood...!"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2008 at 9:49am
75, Harvard alumni or just visisting?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2008 at 11:28am

75, Harvard alumni or just visisting?

Just visiting. Every spring, Harvard hosts the "New England Masters Short Course Championships", one of the largest masters meets in the country with approximately 800 swimmers showing up. Its a four day event. It attracts everyone from former olympians and national record holders to folks who swim for exercise and even a few octogenarians. The whole meet is set up in 5-year age groups, so everyone is just competing against their peers,although the heats (100s of them) are seeded by time, so you might have someone 20 years younger than you on one side and 20 years older on the other. The timing system computer sorts it all out and gives results by age group. In the fall there is a similar but somewhat smaller meet at BU and throughout the season a bunch of small half-day meets around NE.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2008 at 11:57am
Come on Larry. "octogenarian", that's an expensive word.
I can see Chris breaking out the dictionary right now, using that in one of his greeting cards. Heck, isn't jbear just about an octogenarian?
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2008 at 4:29pm
Tull,

I love expensive words LOL
And in this case I didn't even have to get my dictionnary for "octogenarian", cause the dutch word is "octogenarir"...

JBear, I wouldn't let that one go by so easily, but that's just me... I'll be waiting for your witty reply

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2008 at 11:15pm

1.3 billion......100 medals
300 million .....110 medals
i think the Brits have the ratio's beat though
actually Belgium may have the ratio beat
42....2 medals
Kristoff, you guy's need to start reproducing

20 million 46 Medals

Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2008 at 6:40am
Not bad Lewy! Not bad at all!!

If we were to have the same ratio, we should have come home with 23 medals...
Better start taking training to the next level over here...

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2008 at 9:45am
not bad Lewy, sorry i didnt mention it
here anything from the Men at work lately, im still trying to figure out what a vegimite sandwich is
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2008 at 10:39am
Oh Lewy... I'm wondering why I like your boat so much...

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2008 at 3:22am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I just can't resist. I'd never guess you were in your 50s.

Me neither....I'da thought 60's for sure.

I guess I might be upset about this octogarian or whatever if I knew what it was.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic