Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mufflers / Straight Pipes

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mufflers / Straight Pipes
    Posted: January-06-2005 at 12:55am
I looked up my exhaust pipes with a spotlight and noticed that one of my mufflers has two or three baffles in it and they look fine. The other has the baffles broken out so it essentially functions like a straight pipe. My first thought is to break the baffles out of the other one. Has anyone tried this? Any thoughts?
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2005 at 2:10pm
No, I have not tried it, but it would definately only harm the noise level exiting the pipes. Just recently (two years ago?!) my original mufflers starting leaking at the hose connection due to old cracked fiberglass. I removed both mufflers and replaced with similiar mufflers that I bought from SKIDIM. The main difference was that the new mufflers had an elbow at one end that pointed toward the exhaust manifold. This wonderful little feature eliminated the sharp bends in the exhaust hose and thereby enabled the use of smooth hose (not corrugated flexible hose). The sound attenuation was vastly improved and I believe performance. Incidently, my old mufflers had a few broken baffles.
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2005 at 12:02pm
I like the hotrod sound, and I'm afraid if I buy a new pair they will be too quiet for my taste. On the other hand, I don't want to be so loud it's too obnoxious. I quess if I could find ONE original muffler for sale that matches mine that would be the way to go. How big a job is it to swap mufflers on a '78? Will I have to ruin my carpet to pull it up?
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2005 at 1:07pm
Jameski:

Believe me, you will not get rid of the hotrod sound...just a bit quieter. My friend who has a mid 80's 2001 loves the sound of my '77 Martinique with the new mufflers. He is going to change his out this spring.

No, you do not have to pull up any carpet. the mufflers are in line with the exhaust manifolds and exhaust outlet pipes. You do have to remove the rear floor center section which is not a difficult job. Once the rear floor is unscrewed and removed the mufflers are exposed. You do have to position the new mufflers slightly forward to allow the turned up end of the muffler to clear the floor board. This requires that the short piece of rubber exhaust hose between the existing muffler and outlet pipe be changed (lengthened). Other than that, a relatively easier project and a vast improvement in performance and sound quality.

FWIW, I like the quiet sound of the newer boats with the invertiflow (sp?) single outlet exhaust...you can converse with others better while underway.
Farkum View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farkum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2005 at 9:06am
Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

Jameski:
FWIW, I like the quiet sound of the newer boats with the invertiflow (sp?) single outlet exhaust...you can converse with others better while underway.

My friends got a 2003 with a very quite exhaust and I definately would have to say that I prefer the hot rod sound of my 79. I would much rather have people hear my boat rumble across the bay then be able to talk to the person next to me
1979 Ski Nautique
Will post pictures soon
David F View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2005 at 12:30pm
Ha ha ha...I think it is funny how everyone can have different preferences for almost everything. I can understand how you would perfer the louder rumble over the quieter boats. Heck, I think I did to in my younger days. Just seems that I use my boat(s) more for casual cruises than skiing, boarding, etc now-a-days and maybe that is forcing my tastes to change!

But, back to the original post. New mufflers designed to replace the original long pipes will keep the rumble, but give it a more tidy sound if that makes sense. Again, my friend thought my boat sounded great compared to his mid '80's 2001.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2005 at 1:18pm
oops, forgot to log-in prior to posting above.
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2005 at 2:53pm
Does anyone have ONE original muffler they would like to sell? My preference would be to change the bad one and keep the good one as-is.

current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
nauti girl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nauti girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2005 at 9:13pm
I like my cars quiet, but I absolutely love the sound of the old Nauti's!!! What drives me bonkers are these new I/O's trying to duplicate the sound (aftermarket), and just resulting in looking ridiculous. We have a few on our lake that have done that--just ending up with an obnoxiously loud boat. I wouldn't change a thing, Jameski, except to make the repairs needed to be made.
Nauti Girl
--I think my husband uses his own login now!
Bubby View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2005 at 1:24pm
Where do I get these mufflers for an 80's naut
woodyelc View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2005 at 10:12pm
call me 407-851-1965 have them in stock.
80nauts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80nauts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2005 at 2:25am
Who is you and what business are you?
Jobber View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2005 at 9:53am
How much?
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2005 at 10:58am
Be nice 80nauts. That is probably Woody the parts guru at Southeastern Correct Craft in Orlando. Super fellow who can help anyone who needs advice. I've ordered several items from them including the bumper tubing that slides over the guide posts on the trailer. I've had several boat owners ask where I got them. my .02 worth.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
mackwrench View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2005 at 5:43pm
You really should consider replacing them as a pair. Marine mufflers differ from manufacter and the backpressure could be different on each side causing a loss of power, localized engine overheating and maybe faster engine wear..... but thats just my .02 cents

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2005 at 5:48pm
opps.... I forget to log in as well.... any rate, you've got one of the best built, most expenisive ski boats on the planet, dont "cheese up" and use "Decent" mufflers, spend a few x-tra $$ for a pair of good mufflers, If yours are orginal on your '78, then maybe you'll get 27 years out the next ones too!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2005 at 7:35pm
some people are just cheap and don't want to do things the right way and half ace things.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2005 at 8:38pm
I will say it again, SKIDIM has a great set of pipes with one end angled up toward the exhaust riser. This elbow eliminates the severe bending of the exhaust hose Consequently, you will NOT need to use corrogated hose. IMHO the smooth hose lasts longer. I think the pipes sound just as good or the same as the originals. On a '78, you will have to position the pipes a bit closer to the engine so the elbow will clear the floor panel. This will require that that short piece of rubber hose between the original pipes and the outlets be lengthened. So make sure you purchase enough exhaust hose to take care of this. All-in-all, the pipes with the elbows are a much cleaner installation.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2005 at 9:14pm
David... the SKIDIM mufflers look sweet, I'am going to measure my '65 stang (no mufflers)and see if they will fit length wise, I would LOVE to quiet mine down. Can you tell me what there made of? are they metal? Composite? Thanks
NO LONGER A MEMBER
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2005 at 11:36am
They are of a composite construction or at least some sort of plastic. Very nice indeed and the internal construction is almost identical to the mufflers that came out of my '77 Martinique (alternating top and bottom baffles).
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2005 at 1:21pm
The original mufflers in my '78 were light blue with white ends and all baffles were oriented in the same direction (from the top). I talked to Woody at Southeast CC; he said the original manufacturer has not been around for MANY years. He said the replacement that Southeast has been using is a very similar black composite with PVC ends. He said the sound is nearly identical. He also said the ones with the elbow were used on MasterCrafts - but they have never used them on Nautiques. ...So, since I haven't had any luck finding an original, I ordered the replacements he has with plenty of flexible hose to do the whole job. I'll let you know how it sounds. BTW - he also said the cracking and leaking problem around the ends was common on the originals. Thanks for everyone's input.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2005 at 4:10pm
Yes, my failed original were light blue. When I restored the boat back in '89, I simply repaired the cracked ends with fiberglass cloth and polyester resin. They ultimately failed againa and started leaking. So, I saw the pipes at SKIDIM with the elbow and ordered not knowing they were for Mastercrafts. They are the same length as the originals except for the elbows. No modification to the boat was necessary, I just had to position them further forward which was no problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic