NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

3.000.000.000.000 dollar...!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3.000.000.000.000 dollar...!
    Posted: March-12-2008 at 8:21am
Article in the newspaper today:

"American economist and Nobel prize winner Joseph Stiglitz and Harvard professor Linda Bilmes have calculated that the war in Iraq will cost 3 trillion dollars, yes, twelve zero's. This is without the costs on the long term... This year 12,5 billion dollars go to the war in Iraq per month. Toghether with the war in Afganistan, the counter shows 16 billion dollars per month, wich equals the complete budget of the UN for a whole year."

Damn... that's a whole lot of taxpayers money!!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

DeepCreekNauti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepCreekNauti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 10:40am
Naw...not when you really think about it. As long as fuel prices keep rising the govt's cut only increases. Should be paid off in no time.

I paid $4.00 bucks a gallon for Diesel yesterday in three trucks. 75 gallons each....equals $900.00...Govt's motor fuel tax rate is 24.25% = $218.25 in taxes paid.

Funny thing is is that every talking head on the TV who wants to be president is telling me that it is 'Big Oil" who is screwing me. Can anyone remember the last time anyone elected has offered to lower the tax rates on fuel or change it to a flat rate system?

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 10:50am
Originally posted by DeepCreekNauti DeepCreekNauti wrote:

Can anyone remember the last time anyone elected has offered to lower the tax rates on fuel or change it to a flat rate system?

Mike Huckabee had a plan...
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 11:21am
Same here... about 45% of the net price at the pump is govt tax...

Also, war industry provides a lot of jobs...
FN Herstal, our well known arms and ammunitions factory (delivres the "Minimi-machinegun for US troops amongst others) was on the brink of bankruptcy a decade ago, but is florishing now...

So again, taxes on income...

- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 12:02pm
Kritof, I just remembered one of the few things I knew about Belgium, Frabrique National or FN, maker of some of the worlds finest, and some of my favorite sporting arms.
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 12:06pm
My fuel cost for my Charter coach today is $0.90 per mile. Hard charge for that increase and still get people to travel.
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 12:11pm
Steve, Don't mean to cut in here but I don't remember if you were able to fix the vinyl lettering problem?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 12:42pm
8122pbrainard

Tried three different brands (Avery,Oracal & 3M Scotchcal) and the 3M did the best on test boards. Presently has the Avery which was the poorest. Will replace with the 3M
Some of the problem may be with the lead additive which I will not use any more. Tested with and without additive. May also not fill my tank to over-flow.
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 12:46pm
Kristof, those numbers are misleading.
Those are the total numbers which include the pay for the soldiers and the equipment they use. The same soldiers and equipment that taxes pay for when they are not overseas. The hazardous duty pay is extra.
Also the fuel they use is being provided by Iraq but that is probably being included too.

Do not get me wrong, there is major cost to this war but not to the extent that they advertise.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by critter critter wrote:

Also the fuel they use is being provided by Iraq but that is probably being included too.

I hope thats true now, it was being provided by KBB/Haliburton for the first years and it wasn't cheap even though they were using our troops and equipment to move it.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 4:29pm

The same soldiers and equipment that taxes pay for when they are not overseas. The hazardous duty pay is extra.

True for those who are full-time active duty, not so much for those in the reserves and guard when they go back home.

How much extra is hazardous duty pay these days. I don't recally it being that much, relatively speaking.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Kritof, I just remembered one of the few things I knew about Belgium, Frabrique National or FN, maker of some of the worlds finest, and some of my favorite sporting arms.

That's the one Bruce.

Kristof, those numbers are misleading.

Do not get me wrong, there is major cost to this war but not to the extent that they advertise.

Roger, as we said on another thread: media loves sensation, and these are pretty sensational numbers...
But wars do cost loads of dough, whatever they say...

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 6:24pm
Kristof, can you buy and posess guns in Belgium like a Browning Gold 12 ga auto shotgun or a Browning BAR 3006 rifle? Or a Browning Hi Power 9MM pistol? Or a semi auto FN FAL?
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 7:34pm
No Bruce,

Regulations on weapons are very tough here. It's very hard to get a permit, and you have to be a registred member of a shooting club in order to get such a permit.
Even hunting guns are not easy to come by.

I am former member of the military shooting team and being a former sniper, I had the opportunity of using a variety of firearms...

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 8:15pm
Bummer for you.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 8:18pm
Yup...

But lucky for me, I can still go to one of the many shooting ranges of the army. So from time to time I go and practice... Don't wanna get rusty and loose my good aim

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 10:04pm
Kristof: Anybody mention lately what a great addition you've been here? Well I will. Another very interesting guy added to our ranks.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 8:24am
Stop stop stop with the compliments please
My wife says that my feet don't touch the ground anymore when I'm on this site LOL

But John, thanks a lot man! Love all the great guys here!

AbunDiga909 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbunDiga909 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 11:04pm
Joseph Stiglitz came and talked to the junior and senior grades at my school about a month ago. One of the more interesting points he made was how the demand for avacados went up drastically in early feb and late jan due to the superbowl...

On a more serous note.. Yea, war can spark the economy through the gov't increasing spending on American products (planes, tanks, etc..) But, what's unique about this war is that this money is not being fully invested in the American economy. Our current administration has decided to fund private American corporations to supply people that do the jobs American soldiers used to/are supposed to do. All the "dirty work," or "behind the scenes" work, like preparing food, transporting this and that, etc. is now done by the US corportations. But, the catch is that they're hiring Iraqis--that is where the money goes (part of it). This war has cost way more than it ever should have...

sorry for the tangent...
I Nautique, therefore I am.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic