Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1977 Mustang good deal?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
sjhafa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjhafa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1977 Mustang good deal?
    Posted: November-01-2004 at 12:17am
I have a chance to purchase a 1977 Mustang white hull red graphics, exceptional hull condition, no water lines always on a lift interior probably a strong 8 some fading on the engine cover top 840 hours last owner 10 years. Includrs correct craft trailer and new red cover plus Al shore station lift. All for $3500 told he'll take $3000. BUT...BUT the engine sounds strong runs strong but does have some blow by when I take off the oil filler cap or pcv hose. Thats the dilema other wise I'd have jumped on it. Fresh water only.. What do you all think???
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2004 at 12:39pm
Let's see:
*I would normally expect a '77 Mustang that rates out at a "8" to be going for something close to $4500+ unless it's a hardship sell, which shouldn't be included in the averages.
*New cover $250-350 newly purchased, add $200 to cost.
*If the blow-by isn't covering the inside of the engine box with black oily film, then I wouldn't worry all that much about it. If it only has an oil fill cap with no return hose going to the intake of flame arrestor, you can add that if the smell was overly apparent.
*And if you're saying it comes with some sort of lift, then I'd jump all over it. I'm just not familiar with that type or brand lift. Sounds really good to me.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2004 at 12:51pm
The alluminum shore station is worth 2K a lone 3k if it comes with the cannopy. It will only work in shallow water though.
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2004 at 1:55pm
Sounds like at worst a valve job around 800.00 I think this deal is smokin (sorry)
Britler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Britler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2004 at 5:46pm
Unless you do a leak down there is no way to gauge the amount of blow-by. I agree that if there isnt an oily film all over the inside of the engine box then go for it. Hell run a quick comp. test. If it is leaking through the valves and seats who cares. Rings.....thats something you need to think about.
sjhafa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjhafa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2004 at 10:37pm
Well I probably have awhile to think it over He brought it back to town and it is all tucked away for the winter...it does look good sitting on the trailer though. Thanks for the replies. In search of a engine rebuilder now....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic