Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Impeller Replacement Interval?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Impeller Replacement Interval?
    Posted: October-25-2004 at 7:52pm
How often do you guys replace your impellers? The manual for my '02 Ski 196 w/ Excalibur says to replace it every 50hours. This seems excessive to me. Replacing it at nearly every oil change seems crazy. I really don't want to replace it more than once a season. What do you think?
Bill336 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill336 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2004 at 9:06pm
The biggest concern with impellers is running them dry or picking up sand in the intake. Running it dry can burn an impeller up in a matter of seconds, sand isn't as bad. Sand is more of a concern for I/Os though.

If you aren't doing either of those things, 50 hours seems extreme to me. I'd at least check it every other season and watch for any rise in engine temps. They usually will crack at first and water temps will start to creep up as the water pressure from the pump decreases. That will be the first sign that it really needs to be changed.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2004 at 2:57pm
It will either break with age or it will not prime itself from wearing a slight flat spot on each tip. I thought I would notice mine start to lose prime like it did 8 years ago, well it did'nt, I left it in too long.(the philosphy if it ain't broke, don't fix it doesn't apply here) It snapped each blade off after becoming hard and brittle, causing a head gasket to blow. It happened on 4th of July, I idled out to the no wake poles, took off and knew instantly by the exhaust sound no water water was coming out. I will definitely check mine each year for cracks. It is not that hard to change and $21 is cheaper than running an engine hot. After I winterize mine this year, I'm going to rinse the antifreeze out of the pump, a friend suggested maybe the antifreeze could harden the impeller.
Tim D
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2004 at 4:23pm
You should remove the impeller from the housing when you winterize the boat. This will prevent the impeller from take a set shape and remain flexable. This will also allow you to inspect it for cracking, flat spots or any problems with it before you install next spring.
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2004 at 4:43pm
depends on the water type and conditions you use the boat, some locations will require every 50, most wont. I change mine every other season and check it for abnormal wear couple times a year. However, I also keep a fresh replacement in the glovebox in case running temp rises. Have a 95 SN w/ Pro Boss.
Bill336 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill336 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2004 at 4:59pm
I've had 2 impellers let go on me (not at the same time), but that was on a twin engine stern drive boat, so I had a backup to get me home. Now with the new (to me) boat (78 CC American Skier), I expect I'll change the impeller every other or 3rd year as a preventive measure and definitely keep a spare in the boat. 50 still sounds extreme to me, and I boat on a shallow, sand bottom, lake.   
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2004 at 9:41pm
I have decided to change mine every Spring. I have had really bad luck with blades breaking off. I boat in clean fresh water, and I don't know why I have the problems, but I don't want to risk running hot.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic