Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Old ski pics

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old ski pics
    Posted: December-28-2007 at 11:43pm
Trying my hand at posting a few ski pics (from yesteryear)...

Inboards Rule!
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2007 at 11:47pm
Son of a gun! That actually worked!

Those are from about 20 or 25 years ago!

I don't get over quite as far on slalom anymore and I can't seem to do the single trick ski backwards thing anymore either (I've tried!). Other than that...

Sorry the barefoot pic is blurry! Shoot, I guess they're all a little blurry! Oh well, we always had trouble getting any real good pics of the skiing. Lucky I have any at all!

Since that was so easy; might as well post a couple more. Here's my "way cool -way old" '76 O'Brien slalom ski (that I still use.) Hey, quit laughing!

Inboards Rule!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2007 at 12:51am
Cool pics Craig.love them old shots. Lets get some more up here. Larry...I know you got some!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2007 at 8:18pm
Thanks!

I'm thinking I've got more (and some more recent).

I saw the post a while back with the video footage of 4 barefooters (very cool). I know we did 3 barefooters off of a friend's Nautique once. I was thinking I had a picture of that. Also used to have a friend with an old red Barracuda. That thing threw a great wake for trick ski stuff (and I guess now wakeboards).

I've got some video of barefooting from about 4 or 5 years ago. One very cool looking crash! I gotta get that on here somehow!

Wish we'd have filmed some footage of slalom stuff back when I could do it better. Filmed a little in the past 5 years and it looks kind of sluggish!
Inboards Rule!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2007 at 2:03am
Cool pictures, love 'em.
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2008 at 10:50pm
Here's another of my grandfather's old water skiing dog (Boots)! Just seen here on an innertube, but they could actually pull him on an old aquaplane behind the boat too. I know I've got a picture of that somewhere.
Look at that goofy dog's tongue! He could use it for a sail or a paddle or something! Usually the picture just made me think "Hey look; a dog on an innter tube!" I just noticed that! Good grief; his tongue is way too big for his head! That's funny!
Inboards Rule!
RLSV211 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLSV211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2008 at 1:40am

Summer of 1985. Thats about as good as the barefoot thing went.
RLSV211 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLSV211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2008 at 1:42am

Water skiing 1985
RLSV211 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLSV211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2008 at 1:44am
I am not sure why the water skiing pictures did not show up.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2008 at 1:57am
Roger,

Where is the photo? Looks like the California Delta. BKH
Livin' the Dream

RLSV211 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLSV211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2008 at 2:40pm
Yes that is the Delta. I think it was down by the Lazy M.
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2008 at 3:11pm
Roger,
Wow - 1985. So that means the pictures of me (top of post) and these pics of you "could have been" taken the same day 20+ years ago!
Opposite coasts but the same kind of fun!
Here's another (trying a 360 on a single trick ski)! I'm sure the landing ended in a fall because I never could get it!
Check out the ancient outboard motor in that shot (a friend's Dad's old boat -- the outboard was huge but I think it was only about 60hp (maybe less!) -- an old Johnson I believe).

Then there's this shot where I probably also fell (by the looks of things) but I actually could do a 360 on "two" trick skis with some consistency (not "a lot," but "some").

And finally this one of me and my ole' ski buddy "Jim" taking off (both backwards); me on the trick skis and Jim on an old kneeboard. I think 'the' original kneeboard; the "Hydroslide!"
Inboards Rule!
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2008 at 7:49pm
Craig
I still have the original yellow hydroslide kneeboard. Some cool pics. I also have the same pair of trick skis. Of course both the trick skis and the kneeboard were my dads' from when I was a wee lad, but none the less I still have them.
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2008 at 10:22pm
Jim,
I'm confused (trust me it doesn't take much). Do you mean you have the same old pair of tricks I had there in the pics (the Connelly's) or that you still have the same old pair of tricks your Dad had (a different kind) or both? That is, that your Dad's were Connelly's?
Those were pretty decent as I recall. They actually belonged to my old ski buddy Jim though. After we quit skiing together, me and another friend split on another pair years ago; also Connelly's. We eventually quit hanging out together too (basically he moved out of the area) so we have shared them over the years. He had them the first 10 years; now I've had them for probably 5 yrs. or more. Pretty funny arrangement. I don't think he skis much anymore anyway!
I've got some old Cypress Garden wood skis that were my Dad's clear back in the 1940's (or 50's?). Believe it or not, they were some of the most maneuverable skis (for skiing on 2) that I've ever used. They're more like wall hangers now, but I sort of copied them a few years back by buying a cheap pair of wooden combos (Walmart) and cutting the backs off to a similar length, then moving the small wood fins and the bindings forward proportionally. After the alterations, they feel very similar to Dad's old ones. I think shorter sets of 2 skis are a lot more fun than what you typically buy cheap now because (my theory) they pretty much just make all combos now so the average weekend warrior can learn to slalom or two ski with the same set. Consequently, they're too long and the bindings are too far back for decent 2 skiing.

The short ones are actually a lot of fun if you don't mind people thinking you're a rookie! I   figure 2 skis are kind of fun once and a while so who cares! My ski motto is: "Sometimes 2, sometimes 1, sometimes backwards, sometimes none!"

I just made that up! Woo Woo!

There are some new things out I've seen by O'Brien (I think they call them "wake skis"). I think Body Glove make something similar too.

They kinda look like glorified trick skis with fins.

Anybody tried them?

I might have to look into a pair of those. I think I read that you can do front flips with them pretty easy the way they're made. Also that they are very quick turning etc. Just sounds fun!

Inboards Rule!
RLSV211 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLSV211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2008 at 1:41am
I have never tried trick skis. Looking back at the old skis and boats it is amazing where technology has taken us. We have a boat show this week in this area. I am amazed every year by all the new stuff. My son is 15 and has never skiied behind a I/O or an outboard.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2008 at 1:46am
Hey Roger and any of the other NorCal guys.

Are you going to the Pleasanton show? Which day(s)?

BKH
Livin' the Dream

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2008 at 2:27am
Originally posted by 64X55 64X55 wrote:

There are some new things out I've seen by O'Brien (I think they call them "wake skis"). I think Body Glove make something similar too.

They kinda look like glorified trick skis with fins.

Anybody tried them?

I might have to look into a pair of those. I think I read that you can do front flips with them pretty easy the way they're made. Also that they are very quick turning etc. Just sounds fun!

Have seen HO's version, very similar to twin tips for snow, they look very cool and are at the top of my want list for this coming summer.

HO Wake Ski's

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2008 at 11:43am
Those things are still significantly longer than trick skis. That's what she said.

RLSV211 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLSV211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2008 at 1:30pm
I think the second weekend. With this storm coming I am not sure I want to be in those tents with 50 mph winds. I my try to sneak in during next week.
east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2008 at 2:12pm
To this day, I don't know if I've found a better vest.

1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

RLSV211 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLSV211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2008 at 7:18pm
Wheres the ski belt?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2008 at 8:55pm
Craig
I ment My dad's set was and still is a set of blue connelly's just like the ones in the pic. I like them so much I found another set just like them on ebay that I bought. Plus I have a newer set of connelly's that are almost ten years old now. Nothing wrong with some two ski sets for fun. I like jumping across the wake on a cheap set of combo skis. This year I would like to work on a complete 360 while in the air on a set of combos. I guess I have to get to the lake first. But they did say it might be a light over time year at work so I should with any luck get some good amounts of lake time.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2008 at 1:36am
You guys don't know what old ski's look like.These babies are my Dads from back in the late 40's early 50's, when he had his Chris Craft.I'll bet Pete had a pair of these too.I think those new plastic kayaks are smaller.I learned to ski with these behind a 14 ft wood boat with a direct drive 10hp Mercury Lightning outboard              
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
RLSV211 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLSV211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2008 at 2:38am
Those are cool. I learned on a pair like those. I remember tyring to keep my feet in those bindings. Then when you fell the big fight started to get them back on. I have never taught anyone to get up on two skis because of those memories. I won't even let people bring double skies on my boat. I think I would make an exception for those Wake skis or trick skis . My son went from wakeboard to a slalom. Lots of his friends learned to slalom without doubling first.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2008 at 2:47am
Gary, my dad had some like that as well. I think one of my brothers has them now.

Roger, I think we'll head to Pleasanton Boat Show this weekend. Figure I rather be there than stuck in the house during the storms.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2008 at 10:26am
Great pictures Craig, you made me go pull out the scrap book and remember all the old gang. Here's a few from the glory days. These arew all from 1983-86

We made the front page of the local paper one but we're embarassed we we're kneeboarding instead of footing

The ole piggy back kneeboard 360, I was always a bottom for all our stunts.

My younger brother Bob tearing it up on our new Connelly Shortline.

Yours truly buzzing our dock.

Learning to backfoot the hard way, from a stepoff ski.

Early barefoot days, notice we're still using a slalom takeoff rope and handle.

Lazy day on the boom.

Hope you enjoy these as much as I do.
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2008 at 11:00am
Gary, Those woodies (above) are what I was talking about that my Dad had and that I sort of "re-made" by chopping the backs off a newer cheap set of wood combos. Dad's old ski's bindings are almost identical to those in the pic.

RLSV, It's hard to tell because I'm sort of bent over (and backwards) but in the picture (way above now) where I'm taking off backwards on the tricks and my friend is taking off backwards on the kneeboard, I'm wearing a ski belt. They were banned in MD long ago! Very comforatble, but I guess not very safe. Of course I've got a bunch of old shots of my Dad skiing with no PFD of any kind!
He laughs at car seats, bike helmets, etc. and says - "hey, I survived!"

81 Nautique, Those are some nice shots you added there too. The piggy back on the wakeboard looks kinda tricky. Regarding the slalom take off to barefoot and a slalom line, that's still how I take off to barefoot 99% of the time. I eventually learned to do a deep water start but never got a flotation wetsuit (learned that using a friend's wetsuit). It's not bad with a good suit like that but with a vest on I bounce around too much, so I just always step off of a ski. A few years ago I finally played around on a boom and I was like "this is way to easy, it doesn't count!"
My feeling was, I'm not really barefooting It's like you can't fall if you tried! I guess that's the idea. Seemed like a great learning tool though. I learned to doa tumble turn with one. Never tried backwards footing. The whole idea blows my mind! I think I'd be sc..., I'd be scaa..., I'd be scared. There I said it! Just something about going 40 mph backwards with no skis that freaks me out!

Hollywood and Quinner, Thanks for the wake ski pics. I gotta get a pair too!
Inboards Rule!
RLSV211 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLSV211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2008 at 7:38pm
Brian I think I may go Saturday afternoon but I am not sure.

Those pictures make it easier to sit here and watch it rain.
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2008 at 8:15pm
Jim, did you ever try a 360? We used to reach behind our back and hold the handle to sort of unwind as you spun. I'm guessing that was kind of silly with all the quick wakeboard stuff people do now just passing the handle as you turn, etc.

Quinner, I like the HO's (both look pretty cool actually). Decisions, decisions!
Inboards Rule!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2008 at 8:31pm
Craig
Early on 360's were all I could do when I was younger. I sadly have to admitt I don't get as much water time as I would like on a consisten basis to get really good at any event yet. I am definitely a week end worrior. But I can do 360's while jumping the wake on a kneeboard. I learned to foot over the summer. I like slolam every once in awhile but not through the course.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic