NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carpet Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2008 at 1:36pm
I don't have a carpet stretcher so I also cut my carpet a little larger than needed. I followed Tim's proceedure almost to the letter(thanks again Sir!), and it came out pretty well. I think I would have tried to do the floor carpet and the trim at the same time without his idea...and that would have been a mess laced with harsh language?!!?

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2008 at 12:35pm
Sorry it didnt work out for you b but I think I would have to support the recommendation. I redid carpet this spring using Tim's guidance above and it came out pretty good,

and I think most people that have redone carpet have cut larger and then trimmed down. To not do so assumes you are going to get it perfect first time laid out on the garage floor. That seems unlikey to me. Advice on this site is about 50% fact and about 50% experience or opinion, which certainly allows for some variety, so whatever works for you. Just my .02 on the recommendation to cut bigger.

Anyway, hope the project ultimately came out ok for you (pictures??) and welcome to the site.
bflat53212 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bflat53212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2008 at 11:47am
"Leave the new piece a little big in every direction."

No offense, but this really was a bad suggestion. This really screwed me over and cost me a lot of time. Trying to recut the carpet, just a little off in every direction is a pain in the ass. Just my suggestion, don't do this, the old carpet is already stretched from where it needs to be anyways.
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 8:04pm
Excellent:
I bet a lot of us would find this very helpful.

Thanks for taking the time to write this up.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 7:41pm
1. Correct. Leave the new piece a little big in every direction.
2. I scraped as much off as would come with a metal scraper. To get the last of the residue, I resorted to acetone and a wire brush.   Talk about a PITA.
3. Not if the fiberglass is in good shape. If you see any cracks or weak spots, by all means fix/reinforce them with glass. Use epoxy resin and mat/cloth.
4. The indoor/outdoor carpet adhesive from Home Depot or Lowes worked fine for me. I tried spreading it with the ridged trowel, but I found a paint brush worked easier. Be careful not to get the glue on the soft side of the new carpet- this was the hardest part of the job. Have a rag and acetone at the ready for when you hit it by mistake (dont let it dry).
5. Dont try and do it all at once. Lay the carpet perfectly in place first. Then lift up a section and spread the glue. Unroll the carpet back down. Use a heavy duty roller to smooth it and eliminate any wrinkles. Move on to the next section. Do the sides first, followed by the floor.

If youre replacing the plastic carpet trim, this complicates things. I found a method that worked OK. Glue the floor down with the exception of the last 12" on the outside. Once dry, trim the carpet so there is a 1/2" gap where you can see the fiberglass floor. Then install the trim by spreading some glue where the carpet will touch it, and forcing the carpet into it. Work small sections at a time until the entire side is done. Once that glue is dry, pull back the carpet with the trim attached (the outside 12" is still not glued down). Work from one end to the other until the entire thing is glued down. Roll it flat. Do the other side the same way.

Last step is to do the final trimming around the motor mounts and battery box.

Tools:
-heavy roller
-sharp blades (stanley knife)
-paint brush
-large regular screwdriver (helps to force the carpet into the plastic trim)
-acetone and rag
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 7:20pm
This is a very common topic. I would to know what it takes to replace the carpet.

These are the steps I know:
1. Removed the carpet and use a a template.
2. Remove the glue. Any suggestion on how to do it?
3. Floor prep. Do I need to re-seal the floor? Which product should I use?
4. Put glue on floor. What kind of glue?
5. Put carpet. Any lesson learned on how to do it easier. Unrolling it?

I am trying to record these steps? Maybe we should have an area of how to so we don't have to ask the same question multiple times.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic