NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

canoe paddle

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: canoe paddle
    Posted: November-29-2007 at 6:58pm
A few years back (quite a few!), I attempted to learn the canoe paddle. I never got very far and left it up to the few that had better luck and talent. I was always of the belief that it should be ridden with the handle forward but I have noticed that some ride handle to the rear including some show skiers. To me this is cheating as the handle to the rear acts like a fin which adds lots of stability. Who's a canoe paddler out there that may have some comments?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2007 at 7:25pm
Never tried it.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2007 at 7:51pm
This is the first time I've seen a binding on a paddle. HW, is that the beginners model? At least the binding is mounted so it is used with the handle forward.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2007 at 10:23pm
Once upon a time I skied on a paddle the way Pete suggests as the right way. Since we started out holding the paddle, the most difficult part was putting it under your foot and getting your weight on it as you were skiing on a slalom ski. It seems like the rear facing handle allows the skier to start with the paddle on one foot and a ski on the other more easily since the handle acts like a rudder. The rear-facing handle also seems a bit safer than running the risk of having the handle end whack the skier in the face on a fall.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 1:51am
HW: You look pretty good with the pig-tails.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 2:21am
My Mom used to spank me with a canoe paddle, even when I was being good.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 2:34am
And I am sure you deserved it.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Johnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 2:40am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

No wonder you were doing deeps this year without a barefoot suit...it's all gone numb!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Johnny Johnny wrote:

Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

No wonder you were doing deeps this year without a barefoot suit...it's all gone numb!

Or he just likes it?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 1:37pm
I hear the fruit dont fall far, now your spanking your wife with it
"the things you own will start to own you"
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

I hear the fruit dont fall far, now your spanking your wife with it

No, just spanking the Monkey Now!
footinforever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote footinforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2007 at 3:02pm
The best paddlers if you can call it that, will perform a "hop dock" on their opposite foot, then while slaloming on their "bad" foot will put the paddle underneath their foot and ski away tail forward. I know that some northern wisco show teams still do it like Kwahomat and min-aqua bats, but I think they just deep water. the paddle is becoming a lost art, but really not that difficult with patience and persistence. a boom really helps with stability while learning foot placement on the paddle.. and a binding is totally cheating you foot stays on pretty well without it.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2007 at 3:19pm
Im curious, do you start more like a slalom (straight ahead) or a wakeboard (sideways)? Whats a good speed for the paddle?
footinforever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote footinforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2007 at 3:57pm
I don't think its feasible to deepwater start on the paddle, I didn't really make myself clear on that point. They deepwater on their opposite foot and then set it down. Otherwise, like it was pointed out before you can start like you are on two skis with the handle back and the blade forward and then just drop. Low to mid 20's depending on weight.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2007 at 6:37pm
Tim, Our ski team members start on a slalom with the paddle in hand, plant the paddle under the free foot and then drop the slalom ski. The difference now compared to when I was younger and in the club is they now plant the paddle handle to the rear. This was actually why I started this thread because with the handle to the rear it acts like a rudder. The kids have made it easy for themselves!!

Bindings by the way are definitely cheating!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2008 at 7:33pm
My wife's cousing was intent on trying this last labor day weekend. Unfortunately, we couldn't locate a paddle. So he wrapped an old tennis raquet in duck tape and we hit the water. After much trying, he got it under his strong foot. Unfortunately, for those of us in the boat, he never got his courage up to do the step off.

E for effort nonetheless.

1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2008 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

This was actually why I started this thread because with the handle to the rear it acts like a rudder. The kids have made it easy for themselves!!

Does that make them smarter than we were?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2008 at 9:44pm
Mark, Good point! I'll have to think about the concept!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2008 at 9:20am
Mark, After thinking about how they got in the habit of putting the handle to the rear, I would have to say that someone saw the method being used by another ski team. I know nether one of us told them and doubt any of the other alumni would have ether. We all had to do it (try to) the hard way!! Maybe it was the way the Aquanuts down in Twin Lake do it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic