NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A buffalo’s first bowtie

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 22>
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A buffalo’s first bowtie
    Posted: November-21-2007 at 11:12pm
On its way downstairs

I had to pull the exhaust manifolds when I sent the trans to Eric. The mating surfaces where the risers bolt on were very pitted. Looks like I didn't quite get there as I didn't have a water problem before.

Port...

Starboard...

This motor was rusted tight when I got it. I'm guessing it could be worse.

This isn't in my book; it references a chain. I may need a better book!

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2007 at 12:55pm
I talked with the manager of the machine shop, and he seemed very familiar with this motor and it didn't phase him that it was reverse rotation. He said roughly $800 to do the machining and to rebuild the heads. This would be if my hard parts are good. He also knows that I have limited experience and am working from a book, and he seems fine with coaching me a little. He also said to watch out for the books as they "can get you in trouble".
I hope the money sounds about right because I liked him right off. Whatcha' think?

And I'd love to know what you guys are thinking while going through this. That's #6 that is burning differently than the rest.
What's in the tea leaves?
Thanks,
Greg
1988 BFN-sold

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2007 at 1:33pm
Is that a 6.0?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2007 at 1:35pm
It's a 7.4
1988 BFN-sold

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2007 at 1:39pm
Looks like six is where your water is coming in the steam is cleaning the intake valve. The gear to gear setup is how chevy was running a standard rotation cam in a reverse rotation engine. In fords both the crankshaft and cam shaft go opposite automotive, in the chevy just the crank. 800 is in the ball park depending on exactly what he is including. You boring out and replacing pistons?

Looks like a fun project tear her down and keep the pics coming .
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2007 at 1:45pm

who the hell built the wood stand for you, he should get the Geppetto award, it really doesnt look in to bad of shape its very clean. how are the bores? can you get away with re-ringiing?
it is acceptable if you run a bore gauge down and its in spec. hes good on the price. btw that is the holy grail of engines,
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2007 at 1:54pm
Thanks Joe! I know I ask a lot of questions, but generally I only have to be told once. This kind of info is priceless to me!

Yes, I was thinking of new pistons and the cylinders need to be honed or bored to the next size. I was also thinking of converting to roller lifters and rockers...thoughts?

Does what you said about the cam gear mean that I can use a standard rotation cam in this system? Like you said, at #1 TDC the crank gear has a '0' at the top and the cam gear has the '0' at the top as well. That sure would save some cash!

In the end, my goal is to have it ready for another 20 years, and I'd like to update anything that is cost effective.

Thanks again!

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2007 at 2:06pm
roller cam? I built a 396bbc for a guy a couple years ago and put a comp cam in it, the leading edge of the lifters ate right into the cam and ground it down to a broomstick, it was a mess, because of the lift a had to go with a roller after that, it purred and there is not a sound on earth that compares to a cammed up BBC. if you can afford a roller its worth the extra $$$$.
when building I always concentrate on the heads, you can hog some beef out of them to really liven them up....no air....no power
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2007 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

who the hell built the wood stand for you, he should get the Geppetto award, it really doesnt look in to bad of shape its very clean. how are the bores? can you get away with re-ringiing?
it is acceptable if you run a bore gauge down and its in spec. hes good on the price. btw that is the holy grail of engines,

I made the stand so I wouldn't scratch my transmission on the grade behind the house ...and you're gonna love this; a good portion of the wood and all of the screws are from the crate you sent my trans back in! LOL

On the re-ringing, I don't think so. The cam is rusty in places and the water passages are full of rust nuggets and impeller pieces. A bunch of the smaller passages were plugged up. I'll never skimp on an impeller again, but I think these have been there longer than I've had the boat.
I want to do this thing right and then take care of it properly.

What's the scoop on this being the 'holy grail' of engines?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2007 at 2:11pm
check under any old FORD models A's hood...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2007 at 2:17pm

when building I always concentrate on the heads, you can hog some beef out of them to really liven them up....no air....no power

I was going to take the heads to the shop monday. What should I ask for?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2007 at 2:20pm
some good head....i had too hopefully your not religous, best thing to do is to talk to one of the old timers and gather lots of info, it all depends what your looking for, the more the horsepower the more the wear and tear, opening up the heads is a beneficial and cheap way to gain horsepower, especially on boat engines, they require much more air because of the rpms they see, when opening up the heads your trying to eliminate restrictions, think of it as a funnel the bigger the opening the faster the flow, your trying to get the air in and out as fast and unrestrictive as possible. if you concentrate on three things what an engine needs....Air, Fuel, spark, ..... air is the main ingredient and compression falls under air, cfm, cam lift, cam duration, ... fuel and spark is pretty much controlled, but messing with the air flow side is where you'll gain HP and Torque
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2007 at 2:26pm
LMAO   and no worries...I'll just walk in a say that I need both of my heads fixed?!!?

Thanks for the info Eric. I'll ask at the machine shop and see what else I can find till then.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2007 at 4:35pm
you could throw a ton of money at an engine and the gains could be minimal, the boat will basically do the same thing if you were looking for big horsepower increases it may be a waste because of gas prices. i would tell the rebuilder that your looking for a more efficient rebuild than to hop up the engine. stay stock with the compression ratio and if you go with a roller cam with the same lift and duration you may not burn as much gas. the boat has plenty of power with a stock BBC, freshen the engine up with out the sacrifice of fuel economy cause i know a good day of skiing is a hundred dollar bill in that style boat, unless your loaded and you dont care what a gallon of gas costs...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2007 at 5:04pm
I'm right with you on your above post Eric. I don't want to hot rod it, but I do want to make the upgrades that make sense. This boat has always been a workhorse, and I just want it ready for another 20. I think I want to do the roller cam for the effiency and because it side-steps the big oil discussions I've read here. I'll do the unleaded valve conversion too if needed. Beyond that, I'm taking suggestions!

FWIW...I'm the builder
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2007 at 6:10pm
I found the leak, and looking down into the manifold, I can see why it was going to #6. This riser must have been the last 1 of the 4 faces I did that day because that's all I did that day and was worn out! The orange thing on the riser is yet another piece of impeller, and the piece count is around 15.

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2007 at 10:43am
your local machinist can take a nice clean-up cut on the manifold, unless you were looking for new
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2007 at 10:58am

your local machinist can take a nice clean-up cut on the manifold, unless you were looking for new

I hope you're right. This shop is also the oldest parts store here in town, but they lost their NAPA line when NAPA put up their own stores. Since then, this shop has fixed and tuned up their machines and hired the guy(Sherman) that I talked to. Now that I think about it, I didn't recognize anyone there. Looks like they're chasing revenue that NAPA won't cut in on. Anyway, the cool thing is that Sherman isn't scared of boat parts! Last time a younger guy helped me carry 'em back out to the truck?!!? LOL

Eric, if you have a minute shoot me a phone #
millman1@bellsouth.net
Thanks
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2007 at 11:01am
call me on my cell, i gotta go make the doughnuts in 20 minutes 330-322-8817
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2007 at 1:21pm
I checked on the lifters and i dont think they'll work, they are under different part numbers
it is a nice cam set if anyone is interested in a small block chevy roller cam set, it came out with 11 hours on it and is in like new condition.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2007 at 4:24pm
Eric, thanks for checking. FWIW guys, Eric gets my vote for nice guy of the year...he answered a couple of questions for me while driving to work in the snow!

I'm going to do the roller conversion, but I need to get the factory cam specs. I didn't see those in the reference section, but I'll dig 'em up. Amy found a ridge reamer so the pistons are out, and yes...she's a keeper!

What's the preferred way to pull the cam gear?

Pics to follow...
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2007 at 11:54pm
Here's a few more tea leaves. The journal endplay from 1-4(front to back) is .020, .022, .022, .019
The crank endplay is .011
All of the skirts have some scoring and mostly on the side facing away from the crank. This one is the worst.

This shows where it was rusted up. When I was removing the pistons, I noticed that they moved more freely at the bottom of the stroke. This is probably the wrong term, but they are 'barreled' at the bottom.

These are typical of the rest.

The main bearings.

I have more pics and am going to try to get some better ones tomorow. If anyone wants a better look at something, I'll try to accomodate because I appreciate the help. Any of this look scary?
Thanks!

1988 BFN-sold

nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2007 at 12:08am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Thanks Joe! I know I ask a lot of questions, but generally I only have to be told once. This kind of info is priceless to me!

Yes, I was thinking of new pistons and the cylinders need to be honed or bored to the next size. I was also thinking of converting to roller lifters and rockers...thoughts?

Does what you said about the cam gear mean that I can use a standard rotation cam in this system? Like you said, at #1 TDC the crank gear has a '0' at the top and the cam gear has the '0' at the top as well. That sure would save some cash!

In the end, my goal is to have it ready for another 20 years, and I'd like to update anything that is cost effective.

Thanks again!

BFN, I didn't see your cam question answered in this thread so here goes. The answer unfortunately is no. You cannot use the standard rotation cam in this engine. The reason is, although the gear setup turns your cam in the standard direction, the firing order is still different than the standard rotation engine because the rotating assembly spins backwards. Your firing order is 1-2-7-5-6-3-4-8.....That is unless PCM has a different way of numbering the cylinders than Chevy does.

As for the roller cam,...that would be a good upgrade. The only problem is your block is not cast to be used with the Chevy production roller cam type setup. Therefore you will have to go with a retro-fit setup which requires special roller lifters. These are linked together with tie bar that prevents them from rotating in the lifter bore (and keeps the rollers aligned to the cam lobes.

Finding a roller cam the meets your requirements may be challenging and probably will be pricy as well. There are a few grinders though that will grind one special for you like Comp Cams. Hope this helps some. Brian
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2007 at 12:32am
That helps a lot and thanks Brian! You're right about the firing order...same as is listed on my pcm engine tag. That had to be too easy.

As far as finding a cam that meets my needs...I have to figure out what my needs are, but I think I'll still do the roller conversion with the hope of it lasting. I did see a few cam and lifter kits on jegs and summit for flat tappet motors, but again I don't know the specs I'm looking for yet.
1988 BFN-sold

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2007 at 2:04am
I have some specs for small block Chevy cams. The stock Chevy roller marine cam specs are: 197/207 @ .050 and lift is 0.430/0.450 (In/Ex). The lobe separation is 109 deg. That is a bone stock very smooth idling cam. The cam I ran in my old woody Chris Craft was a 268H Comp Cams. It had 218/218 and 454/454 lift with 110 lobe separation. This cam had a little rumble to it but was still farely smooth. It pulled very strong and not bad on gas.

Of course with the big block your lift will be higher and you can go a little more on the duration before noticing it's not stock. Here's a Crane profile that I like for the BB: 139001 214/222 and 0.553/0.576 w/110 lobe separation. RPM range is 2000 to 5200. You won't be able to use that particular cam but you can take the specs and call Comp Cams (or Crane) and have them grind that for you for your firing order.

According to Dennis Moore (Author of Small Block Marine Performance) when selecting a cam there are 4 general rules to follow:
1) Choose a cam with faster opening and closing rates than stock (roller profile will accomplish this)
2) Choose a cam that has a lobe separation between 109 and 112 deg
3) Choose a cam that has 6 t0 10 degrees more ex duration than intake
4) Install the cam with the lobe center between 108 and 110 degrees

Former boats:
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2007 at 2:20am
boy you are getting way over your head then you want to listen to well who ever. Everyting looks normal, end play? only one place to see that on the crank/bearings/thrust so realy don't understand your numbers and yes the guy's not going to be scared of a reverse rotation motor when he has never done one so do you really wont to let him practice on yours? But malibu boy will lead you down a path right wrong well let's see.... some all ready know. but it's your money, motor, boat.......................... 02
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2007 at 2:42am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

boy you are getting way over your head then you want to listen to well who ever. Everyting looks normal, end play? only one place to see that on the crank/bearings/thrust so realy don't understand your numbers and yes the guy's not going to be scared of a reverse rotation motor when he has never done one so do you really wont to let him practice on yours? But malibu boy will lead you down a path right wrong well let's see.... some all ready know. but it's your money, motor, boat.......................... 02

I'm guessing that the first 4 numbers he mentioned (when describing end play) are actually the rod side clearances while still bolted to the journels, right BFN?

And what path are you refering to Chris? By the way how many engines have you put together over the span of your lifetime? Not counting the ones your dad put together..... but you. BFN's engine is a Chevy. I've been through many of these so unless you know who your talking about you should probably keep your comments to yourself.

Former boats:
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2007 at 9:32am
Originally posted by nuttyskier2002 nuttyskier2002 wrote:

I'm guessing that the first 4 numbers he mentioned (when describing end play) are actually the rod side clearances while still bolted to the journels, right BFN?

You're right on again nutty, and the last # I posted was measured on the front face of the rear main thrust bearing. The book you mentioned sounds like the companion volume to a book I was looking for, Big Block Marine Performance; but it's out of print.

79, I know I'm in over my head, but I was in over my head when I learned how to swim too!    I don't think anyone is trying to throw me under a bus.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2007 at 10:01am
This is the description from crane on that part #. I realize I can't use this exact cam, but this summary sounds like what I need.

"Excellent low end torque and HP, good idle, daily usage, off road, towing, performance and fuel efficiency, 2600-3000 cruise RPM, marine applications: primarily used in 454 cu.in. near-stock engines for mild performance applications with free-flowing above water exhaust systems. 8.75 to 10.5 compression ratio advised."

Does a barefoot qualify as free-flowing above water exhaust? They're under water at idle. And how about the compression ratio; our reference section has my motor at 8.12:1?
Thanks again!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2007 at 12:49pm
greg, it seems more research is needed, the first stop should be the machine shop to dial bore the cylinders and measure the crank journals and hot tank the block, obviously you have time to research and gather information as which is happening on this thread. the machinist should also install your cam bearings because that can be tricky, those have to go in perfectly straight or you will spin one. A side note on your cam search: the last cam i bought was a Summit brand cam, it was 1/3 the cost of the rest, In the instructions on one of the illustrations in the back ground was a crane box. Crane makes all the summit cams and carries the same warranty. As with all summit brand items they are made by all the big names and marketed under thier name.
another beneficial upgrade (in my eyes) are some Manley stainlees valves and valve springs, they are inexpensive for what you are getting and once again are probably available in the Summit brand. Research and absorb all the info you can, especially compression ratio's and Cam specs cause that will make or Break the engine
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 22>
  Share Topic