NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A buffalo’s first bowtie

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 22>
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2007 at 3:58pm
The hill I have to climb is getting less and less steep! Thanks again for the ongoing tips. The crank was not as smooth as you described before I unbolted it, but it wasn't bad either. I put up a pic of the lifters since they were mentioned...though I'm sold on the roller system...and none of the grooves in the crank are enough to grab a fingernail. I'm guessing a polish will be enough.

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2007 at 5:06pm
is your guy going to hot tank the block? if so i would take him the crank and also hot tank, let him polish and measure also, the crank looks to be in good shape butlike you said things look different in person,
I do see the bottems of the lifters and they are wooped, that is a definite most important upgrade is the roller cam even with stock lift and duration, a little research is needed on the cam, call the cam company that you decide to use and pick thier brains a little and a matching intake for that cam.
i do not know if you can use a standard left hand cam, im on the fence but i would think they designed that gear set to accomadate the normal rotation cam just for that reason. if you do talk to the cam company see if they have the number 1 and 7 switch cam, im not sure if those are the 2 cylinders you switch but i know in the circle track world everyone is doing it, they claim 10 to 15 horse, that is lost horsepower and it doesnt require high performance parts to achieve the gain
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2007 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

i do not know if you can use a standard left hand cam, im on the fence but i would think they designed that gear set to accomadate the normal rotation cam just for that reason.

That would make sense. The cam definitely spins in the same direction as in a standard rotation motor. It still seems like the firing order would be different, but Im not familiar with the set up.

If you cant use a standard automotive cam, Im pretty sure you can forget about the roller conversion. If theyre like the Fords, having a reverse rotation roller blank made will cost big bucks ($700+). Nothing wrong with a flat tappet though- just use the right oil (both during and after break in) and you'll be fine.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2007 at 5:47pm
I'm going to have everything hot tanked that I can, except maybe the timing cover. It's rusty and probably pitted. I'm going to replace the pulleys on the front of the motor as well. I cleaned them up in '05, but they are still producing a tiny bit of belt dust. I want it to look sharp in the end, and I'm kinda nutz about detail.

I'm not sure what to think about the cam. Nutty said he didn't think it would work because of the different firing orders. I've also read where cam lobes may be ground differently on the leading and trailing sides of the same lobe. I bet woody has a diffinitive answer. I'll ask him tomorrow.

I did notice this. If you put the #1 cylinder on the other end in the reverse rotation sequence...they're the same!
LH - 18436572
RH - 12756348
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2007 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

If you cant use a standard automotive cam, Im pretty sure you can forget about the roller conversion. If theyre like the Fords, having a reverse rotation roller blank made will cost big bucks ($700+)

The conversion makes sense to me for several reasons, so I'll probably do it for a few hundred extra. I mean to keep this boat for a long time!
1988 BFN-sold

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2007 at 7:05pm
Buffalo
Me and the boat doc have already had this conversation about the 454 a regular cam can be used. That info came from woody at SECC. So I believe nutty to be wrong on that one. If you find a roller cam conversion kit let me know. I am looking for one as well.

Nutty
If you can think of a reason on why woody is wrong about the cam let me know.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2007 at 10:05pm
Summit has some retro-fit cam and lifter kits that are similar to the crane 139001 that I liked the description of earlier in this post. I don't know if they'll work and maybe we'll hear more here when everyone's home from the holiday, but I'm going to split a half day tomorrow between the machine shop and phone.
Wish me luck!    
1988 BFN-sold

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 12:48am
it realy doesn't make a difference which way the dist spins or the firing order as long as the plugwires and cam ordered are the same, direct drive on the cam, no timing chain makes it a std rotation cam so any BBC cam will work.

I would disagree on the crank looking good that one journal looks bad and you need to make sure that they are not out of round as well. might have to have the crank turned .010" undersize or more so make sure you get the right bearings if you do have to have it turned down and not just polishing, which usually will not take care of out of roundness on the bearing surfaces.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 1:33pm
Crane cams recommended the 139001. $1200-$1300 for the cam and lifters(roller) and another $200-$300 for rockers. The prices on Summit looked better, but I don't know if I'm comparing apples to apples.
The guy I talked to didn't want to say that any cam made for this motor would work but said this one would. He also said the motor would be more efficient if I raised the compression to 9.25-9.5:1
1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Crane cams recommended the 139001. $1200-$1300 for the cam and lifters(roller) and another $200-$300 for rockers. The prices on Summit looked better, but I don't know if I'm comparing apples to apples.
The guy I talked to didn't want to say that any cam made for this motor would work but said this one would. He also said the motor would be more efficient if I raised the compression to 9.25-9.5:1

Wow, thats some serious money for a cam! My custom flat tappet was only $180. For that kind of $$$ you could get set up with a new set of heads, intake and a FT cam and be running faster AND more efficiently!

I dont agree with Eric that increased HP = decreased reliability, by the way.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 1:59pm

Wow, thats some serious money for a cam!

My thoughts exactly when the summit kits are in the mid $700's. He did give me a bunch of reasons why the roller is so much better for the big blocks, but he has a part to sell as well!

I also found out that a friend of a friend is the service mgr at the local marina so I'll get some input from him...and I found the machine shop that does the marina's work and will take mine there.

2 points for 79! LOL
1988 BFN-sold

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 2:20pm
I would expect to pay 500 or so for the tie bar roller lifters, based on personal experience go with the crane I spent the extra money on comp cams ones for my last build and it cost me about a grand in gaskets and dyno time (not to mention my time) to replace them when two collapsed on the initial startup. Cam should come in around 300-400 and I agree with 79Nautique that any std rotation roller cam for a 454 should work. You will need custom pushrods though because of the roller lifters and since your doing it yourself you will need a pushrod length checker . I would say that all in your going to be about 800 over what it would cost to do it with a hydralic flat tappet. Thats not to discourage it, I am converting my second motor over to a roller setup this winter but it aint cheap.

Roller rockers is a seperate topic they can be used with either a flat or roller cam setup as can the standard rockers.

HP vs reliability vs longevity takes into account way too many variables to get into right here but I would definitely be thinking compression in the 9.2-9.5 range for this beast myself. IMHO, significantly under a horsepower per cubic inch should be pretty reliable even with stock internals.

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

Buffalo
Me and the boat doc have already had this conversation about the 454 a regular cam can be used. That info came from woody at SECC. So I believe nutty to be wrong on that one. If you find a roller cam conversion kit let me know. I am looking for one as well.

Nutty
If you can think of a reason on why woody is wrong about the cam let me know.

Okay, here's my thinking on this. The standard rotation firing order of a Chevy 454 is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. The firing order of his RH engine is 1-2-7-5-6-3-4-8 (as he has already verified). The gear setup is of course going to rotate the cam opposite of the crank (which will be in the same direction as a standard cam). No one is arguing this against this point. The problem is that after the #1 cylinder fires, the crankshaft is going to rotate backwards and set up the #2 cylinder to fire (remember this is the firing order of this engine as indicated on his tag). But the cam (being standard and rotating in the standard rotation) has the #8 cylinder set up to fire. In other words the crankshaft and the cam will be grossly out of phase with each other. The valves will be opening and closing at the wrong times. At best you'll have an engine that won't run. At worst may bend some valves by hitting them with the pistons.

I think people are forgetting that you have to take into account the way the rod journals are positioned on the crankshaft. The firing order is somewhat limited by this aspect. The exception is that opposing cylinders can be swapped. Opposing cylinders (for those who don't know) are cylinders that are in the same position and moving in the same direction, only they are on opposite strokes. Two opposing cylinders on this engine are: 1 and 6. When cylinder 1 is at TDC compression cylinder 6 is at TDC exhaust. These 2 cylinders can be swapped in firing order, but it's not just by changing plug wires. The cam has to be ground with this firing order. An example of this very thing is the SBF camshafts. The 289 and older 302s use a different firing order that the newer 302s and 351s. However, only opposing cylinders were swapped to make this happen.

I've done my best to convince you guys why the standard cam won't work for his engine. If you are still in doubt of what I'm saying, that's okay. But prove it to yourself first. Take your used cam to a engine builder. Ask to see a used cam from a standard rotating engine (454 of course). Line the cams up together and rotate them so that #1 cyl lobes point in the same direction. Now compare the rest of the lobes. I'll bet any amount of money they are different. Also, call one of the major cam companies and check with them. Call Crane or Comp Cams. I'm sure they have dealt with this before. Don't just take someone's word on it! I'd hate to see you ruin your newly built engine by installing the wrong cam.

Brian
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 2:41pm
Brian, I just got off the phone with Comp cams...a much friendlier guy than at Crane explained it to me just as you did above. The firing orders are different and so the cam must be.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 3:04pm
Nutty
I planned on doing my homework before I build my 454. I was mearly piping in my two cents worth based on conversations with the boat doc, who inturn had conversations about this motor with woody at SECC. I remember stating in my post if you had a specific reason on why you thought a normal cam would not work that I was all ears.

Buffalo
What came did crane recommend you use then. Could they supply you with one or would it be a special order cam at a pretty penny.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 3:30pm
Crane recommended the 139001. I told him it was reverse rotation and we didn't discuss firing order, but that's what he said. My guess is he wasn't ready to be back at work today. Looking straight down at the block with it all apart, I can't see how a standard cam would work. Maybe like 79 said, some things could be changed...but the crank journals don't look adjustable?!!? LOL

Time will tell.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 3:46pm
Tr, i was refering to some high hp increases such as 12 to 1's, aluminum heads and so on and with what i think Greg was more looking for is a reliable turn key engine, hes attacking at it from a reliabilty stand point, sure bump up the compression ratio to a useable ratio such as 9.5 or even close to 10:1 anything after that your beating a dead horse. you get up over 450 on these big blocks and your always tweeking something
If i had 2 grand to spend on this motor i would first go after the cam, after the machine work is done, it would be a roller close to the stock lift and duration, i would spend money on the stock heads, if pistons were needed i would go to 9.5' or in the general area, then intake and carb. BBC's are diamonds in the rough they have the power hidden and you have to find it. this boat stock with the BBC will rip your arms off as it is so power isnt an issue, thats why i was leaning more towards reliability, you can run a hotter motor but along with it comes the problem and lets face it this boat aint easy on the gas and the hotter you build it the more fuel your gonna use, Jacking up the HP on this boat has no advantadgs IMO, but i think the fuel economy and reliabilty does
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 3:47pm
How could he recommend a cam with out talking about firing order? If he said a normal cam will not work. Does that mean they carry a cam for our application, or would they have to make it.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 4:09pm

this boat stock with the BBC will rip your arms off as it is so power isnt an issue, thats why i was leaning more towards reliability, you can run a hotter motor but along with it comes the problem and lets face it this boat aint easy on the gas and the hotter you build it the more fuel your gonna use, Jacking up the HP on this boat has no advantadgs IMO, but i think the fuel economy and reliabilty does

I still disagree, as I havent been overly impressed with the stock 330hp 454 in Nautiques. Bumping compression to 9.5 or 10:1, and improving airflow through the motor (heads, intake, cam) should improve efficiency AND power. Of course, you have to use the right parts and assemble them properly- that goes without saying- but there should be absolutely no tradeoff in reliability.

If it were me, a full rebuild would be a perfect time to go with a mild stroker. Id invest in a quality set of iron heads that boosted compression to ~9.5:1, and get an intake and FT cam to match. Id use high quality gaskets, seals and bearings. That would make for a rock solid 400-450 hp motor that would last another 2500 hrs. Different strokes for different folks
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 4:15pm

Nutty
I planned on doing my homework before I build my 454. I was mearly piping in my two cents worth based on conversations with the boat doc, who inturn had conversations about this motor with woody at SECC. I remember stating in my post if you had a specific reason on why you thought a normal cam would not work that I was all ears.

Buffalo
What came did crane recommend you use then. Could they supply you with one or would it be a special order cam at a pretty penny.

87BFN - Wasn't trying to bash you for your thoughts. I just picked your quote to respond to because of your question. I consider us all friends here. Kind of a brotherhood so to speak. Though my boat is not a CC, it is a very well built boat and a pleasure to be in just the same. I'd love to get back to the east coast and meet some of you guys some time.

Here's the thing.....I just can't set back idle a let people talk BFN into installing the wrong cam in his engine (again not pointing the finger at you). That would not be ethical. I've owned 3 inboard boats in my life and have tinkered and rebuilt engines (one for my 59' Chris Craft) since I was 16. My last boat was an '88 Centurion with an Indmar 351W. With a few exceptions it is very much like the PCMs most people have here. I'm now 46 years old and still tinkering....so I'm not some "new kid on the block". Before my current job I held 5 ASE certifications. One of them was Engine Repair. I piped in here because I thought I could help out some. Good luck on both of your projects (both 454 owners). You guys will be very proud of what you've accomplished when boating season rolls around next year!

Brian
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 4:17pm

How could he recommend a cam with out talking about firing order? If he said a normal cam will not work. Does that mean they carry a cam for our application, or would they have to make it.

First note that he wasn't in a good mood and probably not in the mood to deal with an amateur. I explained the gear drive and RR crank and that's the part # he gave me. It's an off-the-shelf item they have for LH motors. When I told Comp that it was RR, he said hold on a minute! I'm waiting for a call back from him(comp)...he's looking to see if they have a core. I'm also waiting for LSM to call back. I think it was Nautiquematt who recommended them and I think Tull went by there. LSM's home page says they do counter rotation cams, etc.

Eric, that's exactly my plan. Gas will only get higher, so my goal is to efficiently burn the gas I'm putting in it anyway. I'm completely enjoying doing this work, but I don't want to do it all the time(not the same motor)! Turn key like you said.
I don't know yet what it'll cost to port and polish these heads, but I am going to have it balanced for $250.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by nuttyskier2002 nuttyskier2002 wrote:

I piped in here because I thought I could help out some. Good luck on both of your projects (both 454 owners). You guys will be very proud of what you've accomplished when boating season rolls around next year!

Everyone has helped a lot and I'm grateful beyond words! ...from this cam issue to 79 being right about the first machinist I was going to use?!!? LOL

It'll all shake out when it's supposed to, and I'm in no hurry...just had some time away from other things to work on it.

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 4:37pm

Different strokes for different folks

The cylinders are badly scored...it'll at least get a little bigger!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 5:04pm
I keep thinking on why would the engineers come up with this gear set that from what im reading a special cam too, why didnt they just stick with a roller chain and manufacture a opposite cam? its gotta be a normal cam that goes in this thing and the firing order is different
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 5:46pm
reading the service manual it states both firing orders, with the HO version it used the automotive order. I think if you realy look at the crank relative to the firing orders there might not be an issue.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 5:49pm
Edit, basically you need that cam, it is a special cam thru pcm, its not available in a roller it retails for $280.00
or there is other options such as the one you were looking into, but a lefty wont work
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 5:56pm

Edit, basically you need that cam, it is a special cam thru pcm, its not available in a roller it retails for $280.00
or there is other options such as the one you were looking into, but a lefty wont work

Would it be an option to switch from a gear drive to a chain, and use a RH cam?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 6:02pm
f-k it, flip the pump get a left hand prop and have the seal area re-ground on the crank, and set it up for a left hand engine
I was told it was a special cam and the reason CC's use right hand engines (this is what i was told from another reliable source) is back in the day Chris Crafts were flywheel forward and they copied from that (myth number 26)   I still dont have the real reason why they use right hand engine....somebody please enlighten me.

As for the issue of the cam, that's what i was told, i dont belive anything until i see it with my own eyes so im still open minded on the cam issue
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 6:06pm
Anyone know where the part # is supposed to be on the old cam? And yea I know, look at it; but I don't see it. Most all of the other parts say GM and a #, but I don't see that here. On the back end it has hand tooled #'s that say 8899. There is a casting mark behind the 3rd lobe, 349...and I don't have the puller for the gear, so I hope it isn't under there?!!? LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 6:10pm
Tr, for the life of me i dont know, i would think you could do what your suggesting, but why the fudge do they have to be so diffucult, there's a reason they went with that gear and cam set up, and im curious as to why, I looked thru my merc stuff and they dont do that, and Jim bragg wants to cam his engine and it doesnt look like there are many options. my option is spinning it to the left
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 22>
  Share Topic