NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cranking vs Deep / Crank combo

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mrese View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cranking vs Deep / Crank combo
    Posted: October-09-2004 at 1:30pm
Does anybody have any input on wheter or not the combination cranking/deep cell battery is a good or bad idea. No big sound systems on board, just the stock clarion radio/tape player. It seems like the best of both worlds in theory.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2004 at 5:46pm
I like the marine deep cycle battery for extra cranking power and the wing nuts for easy hook up of stereo wires and power plug. My battery is under the driver seat and I installed a plug in the side of the base for the cell phone.
Tim D
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2004 at 2:12pm
The deep cycle battery won't have more Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) than a regular battery. Deep cycle batteries are made for continuous low amperage drain over a long period of time i.e. stereo, trolling, motor, electronics. A Cranking motor i.e. starter, needs high amperage for a short period of time that you may not get with a deep cycle battery. If the deep cyccle is rated at or above 650 CCA then your good to go, most deep cycles are 550 or less. Me personally I have a group 31 cranking battery rated at 950 CCA and don't have a problem running the radio and 1000w amp all day.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2004 at 5:04pm
I concur with 79nautique,
CCA is not the same as peak amps.
Deep cycle batteries have too much internal resistance to deliver high power (lots of amp sat high voltage)
mrese View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2004 at 5:36pm
Thanks. I have a slippery grasp on the concept of straight cranking and straight deep cell batteries, but don't know much more about the combination batteries -- other than how to spell it. I have seen the combination batteries for sell but have never known anyone who used one. Currently I have a cranking battery with 650 MCA and wondered if the marine combo battery would be worth the expense vs an automotive high CCA battery like 79nautique.

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2004 at 5:49pm
Well, what I meant by "extra cranking power" was plenty of juice(reserve;DC voltage)after using the stereo etc. for a while(engine off) and then turn over a 10:1 compression. I didn't intend the interpretation of more CCA. And what I like about the marine batteries are the wing nuts for easy hook-up or quick disconnect. I apoligize for being vague.
Tim D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic