Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

backfiring @ high RPM’s

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
martinihenry View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinihenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: backfiring @ high RPM’s
    Posted: September-28-2004 at 6:11pm
A friend's '83 Ski-Nautique Correct Craft has recently developed a nasty propensity to backfire and pop above 3200 RPM's. If you back off the throttle slightly, it gets worse, and starts popping louder and more frequently. You have to throttle back to about 1500 RPM's, and she runs smooth again, and can be revved back up to 3200 RPM's with no problems. There is evidence of some slight pinging that develops at about 3200 RPM's, just before the onset of the popping. He regularly runs 92 octane fuel in the boat. I suspect it's a timing issue. Boat has new points and condensor. What should initial timing be set for? Heard somewhere that it might be 6 degrees BTDC, but just want to confirm. Also, is there a reasonably priced means of converting to electronic ignition? Will an automotive Electronic Iginition system work on a PCM engine? Thanks!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2004 at 7:35pm
It sounds like the mechanical advance is out of wack. The base timing should be 8-10 btdc the manual I have says 10 but I have seen 8 and 6 btdc. Also check and make sure that the mechancal advance is working correctly. You should not have over 35 degrees total advance at say 3000-3500 rpm if you do then that is your problem. Check the springs and weigths under the plate that the points are mounted to and you will see the mechanical advance. Also check the dwell before you set the timeing. the gap is .018" and dwell is 24-29 degrees.

I would recommend changing to electronic and getting rid of the points and I do not suggest using automotive for marine applications, if you do, you are take a big risk of blowing the motor box off.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2004 at 8:59pm
If this was an auto I would suggest the cam timing chain jumped a link. But, I'm new to the marine world so I will keep quite on this.
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2004 at 8:49am
Motors are motors, Basics are the same. If it pops thru the Carb it's on intake side, thru the exhaust it's on the exhaut side.
Then look for the troubles based from that anology.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2004 at 1:01pm
I concur with 79Nautique, make certain BOTH the heavy and light advance springs are in place, and the mechanism is operating smoothly.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinihenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2004 at 10:19pm
Just a follow-up.

First of all, thanks to all those who responded. These forums are a fantastic place for the exchange of good information. It's nice to tap all of the brilliant minds out there for free advice.

Turns out, the problem with my friend's boat was indeed timing. Went to Sears, and bought their $70 Advance Curve timing light. Discovered that at idle, the timing marks were off the scale! Set the initial timing for about 8 degrees. Verified the mechanical advance was in good working order (total advance hopped between 30 and 35 degrees), and took her out. With two big adults on board, the boat revved quickly up to 4500 RPM with no knocking, pinging or backfiring! We achieved a top speed (confirmed by GPS) of 46MPH...WOW!

Thanks again for the help on this!

Jason
GottaSki View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2004 at 10:33am
Good to hear, even better to hear he didn't frag a piston or valve with the timing like that.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2004 at 2:05pm
I would concider upgrading to electronic ign in the off season and you won't have to mess with timming hardly at all. With points and condenser you will need to check timing and dwell often. But glad to hear she's running strong.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinihenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2004 at 5:44pm
My friend desparately wants to upgrade to electronic ignition, but doesn't want to pay $500 to do it. There seems to be no source of reasonably priced electronic ignition upgrades for this motor...which frankly, strikes me as odd, seeing as how it's a fairly common Ford engine. I'm a Mopar guy, and I think this is the first instance where I've found a part cheaper in the Mopar world than in the Ford/Chevy realm. Mopar performance sells a complete swap kit for $180. Perhaps it's the "Marine Engine" spectre that makes them so expensive? I don't know. Would appreciate any thoughts you all might have on finding a kit for this motor that won't break the bank.
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2004 at 6:21pm
www.vintageperformance.com will have the setup for that boat for the conversion kit and hi perf coil for 100.00. all you need to know is if has a screw down or clip down cap. the install is 15 mins
IrishFooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2004 at 6:06pm
Recently had some issues myself and I wonder if it is advisable to upgrade to a new distributor. There is a mallory with electronic ignition for $200 available from Summit Racing- not marine. The pins that the advance weights sit on were very loose and I peened them down to tighten them up. This advance still is not quite perfect.
1979 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2004 at 12:36pm
You can get a marine version mallory from summitt racing for around $325. there is a high perfomance HEI unit as well but it's a little more expensive. Or you can get the conversion kit for around 100 buck.
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2004 at 10:46pm
I'd stick to the conversion kit I did my 66 Barracuda after the rebuild. Just cleaned the machanical advance added the Pertornix module and it started every time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic