NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scott Lockwood Barefoot Race

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
waterskier2007 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterskier2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scott Lockwood Barefoot Race
    Posted: September-24-2007 at 2:45am
this weekend the Burning Soles Barefoot team finished 3rd out of 8 in the Scott Lockwood Barefoot Challenge. The team consists of me (brendan) shawn, steve( tullfooter ), doug, and tim. steve is our driver. first through third place was barefoot nautiques, infact those were the three barefoot nautiques present, so we swept it clean. this is the first race in which our team has not come in last. we used a '85 BFN owned by tullfooter. there is a video of the start of the race at the first link, and the second link is a bridge flyer video that i made

Race Start

Bridge Flyers
-Brendan Kirchner
Glass is made to be shattered

85BFN
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 3:00am
That was some awesome video !   How fast were you going and how far .   Great job with the 3rd place finish .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 10:18am
Congrats on your win. The bridge barefoot was interesting. Our club was doing it when I was a member in the late 60's and early 70's They are still doing it for the shows. They are lucky to have a bridge within viewing distence of the audience. It always amazes the people who don't know that it is simply a deep water start!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 11:34am
Brendan
Good job getting the video link up. When you get time away from studying, put up the video of the 7-man bridge flyer.

I was very proud of these guys coming in third place. Trust me, it was a huge step for us. The water was smooth at the start, and smooth at the end, but it turned to mush in the middle. Huge waves allowed for the BFN's to shine. It's like running an ice breaker. It was very cool to cross the finish line and seeing the first and second place boats being Barefoot Nautiques also.
It was a very cool weekend.
Lefty
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 12:03pm
That is TOOOOOOO COOOOL.............
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 12:20pm
Cool videos congrats on the 3rd place finish, that is a big step. How many miles is the race? Is it a 2 man the whole way?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

That is TOOOOOOO COOOOL.............

Are you thinking about learning again?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 12:31pm
Pete if you're calling out the 'doc I'm calling you out too! You and 'doc are small enough you only need to do 36 it ain't that fast!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 12:37pm
Thanks guys
Wood, it's a two man start only. After they go down it's one footer at a time. The race is one of the shortest, 18 miles. That is why they start with two footers, adds a little more excitement.
Lefty
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Pete if you're calling out the 'doc I'm calling you out too! You and 'doc are small enough you only need to do 36 it ain't that fast!

Hell, Quinner could pull both of us behind a row boat!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterskier2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 1:21pm
thanks guys, it was an amazing time, and im so glad our team did well. the BFN definitely helped. i will post a link to some video of an 8 man bridge flyer as soon as i get it up on youtube

thanks for the replies
-Brendan Kirchner

85BFN
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 1:22pm
So Lefty, how long then, at a stretch are you forced to run your engine at WOT? Or do you not have to run quite full throttle? That looks incredibly neat regardless. I'm still hoping we/CCFan can have some type of remotely similar event at GL 2008 or other reunions in the future. And whoever gets to pull Pete's and boatdr's combined 250lbs is sure to win.     
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 2:01pm
ReidP
We ran the 18 miles in 28 minutes. I'm not quite WOT. I was running about 40mph with the footer and 5 guys in the boat. She'll run 44mph with the same amount, if I need to. The only time we run WOT is when my fat butt is on the end of the rope. But for this race, I was the designated driver.
At the Ohio race, with smooth water, we ran 38 miles close to WOT for just over an hour.
Lefty
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterskier2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

ReidP
At the Ohio race, with smooth water, we ran 38 miles close to WOT for just over an hour.

Lefty

I believe our time was actually 58 minutes so that would place it at just under an hour
-Brendan Kirchner

85BFN
Johnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 6:23pm
Great job! Cool videos! I've always wondered how you guys handle the pickups for these races. I assume you have it all planned out so as to limit the time it costs you to switch footers. If you have any video of that I would love to see it. Keep us updated on your progress, I bet a first place isn't far away.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 6:24pm
Way togo guys, sounds like you had a really good time. Tull do they have that race every year?? That's sweet BFN's first through third.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterskier2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

Way togo guys, sounds like you had a really good time. Tull do they have that race every year?? That's sweet BFN's first through third.

yes it is every year. it is the third time we have done the race but the first time that we used a BFN and based on the results it is easy to see that it helped a lot
-Brendan Kirchner

85BFN
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterskier2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 7:01pm
8 person bridge flyer is up on youtube, check it out

8 Man Bridge Flyer
-Brendan Kirchner

85BFN
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 8:01pm
great job guys..looks like too much fun..would love to see a race like that in person..well done!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 12:10am
Johnny
The transitions are made quicker using a barefoot line with a handle on each end. The line goes through a pulley attached to the skylon. 50' before your at the fallen footer, the next footer jumps in, holding his handle. The other handle is pulled up to the pulley. The footer in the water sees the handle heading towards the pulley and times his set up. When the handle hits the pulley, the drivers goes. No need for "hit it".
There's a video of it on Barefoot Central' it's called the Rapid Transition. I think they invented the system. In their video, the time from when the footer falls and the next one is starting is about 25 seconds.
Lefty
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 12:29am
Congrats fellas! So, how long does any one footer stay up for?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 12:40am
Our longest run was about 6-7 minutes. But there are guys out there running for longer.
Rumor has it, Steady Eddie Johnson can run the boat out of gas.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 2:19am
Tull,

I just watched the video again for the third time.. You looked good as the DD.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 2:26am

Our longest run was about 6-7 minutes. But there are guys out there running for longer.
Rumor has it the Steady Eddie Johnson can run the boat out of gas.

Tull,

We footed with Eddie at Reid's place, never seen anything like it. Cool vids on the footin, congrats to you and your team on the solid finish!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 2:51am
tull: Ditto to what quinner said. I have been skiing and footing a long time and I have never seen anything like Eddie. I would definatly want him on my team.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 5:28pm
Johnny
here is a link to the discription of the Rapid Transition.
At the bottom of the page, there is a link to a video of the manuever.

http://www.barefootcentral.com/Racing_Rapid_Transition101.htm

Don't know if I did this right
Lefty
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 6:00pm
I've seen the pulley deal before, but also heard they outlawed it at the bigger races down south.

Eddie told me his best he got on camera was like 1:16 but has gone a little longer than that. I believe he is the best current barefooter.

**EDIT** - Barefoot Endurace Record

Billy Nichols 2 hour 44 minute
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 6:21pm
Tull,

The tunes on the video clip, did your son add those to the video when putting it online? Or were they jamming from the radio in the boat while you were footing?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 7:15pm
No jammin while racing. Brendan added the music when he created the video. I have the entire race on disc w/music. Next time we get the boats together for a play date I'll show you the whole race.
Lefty
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterskier2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 8:04pm

Next time we get the boats together for a play date I'll show you the whole race.
Lefty

ewww what kind of play dates do you guys have in mind
-Brendan Kirchner

85BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic