NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop back from delta

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prop back from delta
    Posted: August-23-2007 at 5:57pm
Morfoot and others...thanks for sending me there and for anyone who doesn't already know, they did beautiful work with a nice turn around time

Gotta...thanks for for advice on the lapping compound; you didn't give it directly to me to but I found it searching...smoothest prop install to date for me

which way do you guys bend the cotter pin?

Thanks as always
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 7:20pm
Wow, 22 out of this crowd with nothing to say?!!? LOL

I bent my cotter pin around the end of the shaft on 1 side and back across the castle nut on the other...correct?
1988 BFN-sold

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 7:32pm
Greg, I'm assuming the shaft taper was off since you had to lap it. Did they ream the taper for you in the prop? How much do you think it was off? Guess!

OK, The cotter pin - I bend it both ways!! 1/2 of it forward and the other 1/2 back and around the end of the shaft.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 7:41pm
Good deal...same way I bent mine. I don't think the taper was off at all, and they did the taper. The big difference is that I was able to 'see' it all this time. I didn't spin it very long with the compound...2-3 mins at the most. What I suspect is that the last time it was worked the taper was not done...it came off last time like a gun shot with the puller, but I bet it won't next time.

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 8:01pm
1988 BFN-sold

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 8:20pm
BuffaloBFN,I hope I am wrong,BUT,that prop nut appears to something other than brass.
             boat dr
as far as the cotter key ,I was taught to cut off the side closest to the prop, even with the nut , and fold the other as you did.
And to never reuse a 1.00 cotter on a 300.00 prop............
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 8:38pm
It's brass...it had a steel washer behind it b4 and so is tarnished...and it's a stainless pin. What should be more expensive about it?

I like cutting the prop side off, thanks doc.
1988 BFN-sold

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 9:00am
Told you they did a great job! What are they charging these days for a "tune up" if you don't mind my asking?
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 9:13am
I paid for outgoing shipping and they charged $92 including the return shipping. They also added a small cup.
I don't know if that's a flat price...I only found the ding on my prop after very close inspection, so they didn't have too much to do...unless they have to be completely reworked anyway regardless of damage.

Maybe I should've sent it to Eric...I wouldn't have known about the ding if he hadn't done such a good on my tranny?!!?
LOL

1988 BFN-sold

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 10:28am
Greg if you sent me the prop i wouldve beated straight in the old vice till it looked straight and gave it a nice polish job, its easy to pick up a vibration in the driveline on these 1:1's because of the prop speed, a small ding will do it, by the way how's the boat running? I was kidding about the prop....leave that to the prop guys im no good with a hammer
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 10:44am
I couldn't be happier except for the slightest of vibrations that I'm chasing. As I have ironed out bigger problems, the smallest come out of the woodwork. I'll find out in a few if that little ding solves the issue...if not, I'll be asking about the A.R.E. shaft system.

I was joking about the trans too. That was meant as an indirect compliment and a yank on your chain.       

All of yall would be proud of my boat's performance before and after this site!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 12:10pm
If you want, pull the shaft and send it, I'll fit the coupling to the shaft on my lathe and put the shaft on v's to check it. sometimes the useable life of a shaft expires and you'll get shaft whip, ARE is alot of hipe IMO,
I chuck up the shafts in the lathe and check the runout on the face, if its out I'll take a skim cut, very custom, its a step that doesnt even happen at the factory
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

If you want, pull the shaft and send it, I'll fit the coupling to the shaft on my lathe and put the shaft on v's to check it. sometimes the useable life of a shaft expires and you'll get shaft whip, ARE is alot of hipe IMO,
I chuck up the shafts in the lathe and check the runout on the face, if its out I'll take a skim cut, very custom, its a step that doesnt even happen at the factory

We will be spinning a few new shafts this winter if you want one, FYI.

Tim
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 3:18pm
Thanks Tim, a new shaft and a true coupler would be the ticket. I done some wood turning but no metal.
I liked the ARE shaft because it is removable with the motor in, but that was the only particular reason.
I think what I have will get me to winter...just brought it around from the park, and all I think it needs is the lead sub in the fresh gas.

Eric and Tim, yes and thanks...I think a new coupler turned on a new shaft would be the way to go. I'll bring this up again when it starts to cool off. It's been over a hundred or near it for weeks...seems a long way off for cool weather.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 3:46pm
no problem on that tim, come on down and I'll let you take a stab at it,BTW i do have a Bridgeport too if anyone needs any milling done
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2007 at 6:16pm
Well allrighty then...I'll definitely make it to winter. She just needed her lead fix...and the prop fixed...and the tranny fixed...etc.   LOL   It's as smooth now as my granny's '72 caddy was.

It misses w/o the lead sub. Does this mean it has 1 foot in the grave, or does it just mean that it's a leaded gas motor('88)?

and Eric...don't invite me 'cause I'll take you up on it!

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2007 at 12:26pm
I spent about 4 hours on saturday trying to dial in the chuck on the lathe, i finally got to within a half, you better take me up on it before someone whacks it out of true again, jk
anytime, i needed to get it trued up cause i need to cut a shaft on Monday and it has to be dead on, it does make for a nice job, i cut all transmission flanges to true them up cause you wouldnt believe all the people that use a BFH to get them apart
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2007 at 12:46pm
is that Big Freakin Hammer?!!?
LOL

If you're serious, I'd really like to see your shop and maybe learn something. January or February maybe? Half of my family is from Eau Claire and I've never been there... but have been told how pretty the country is. I could do both.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2007 at 12:48pm
your a frenchy?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2007 at 12:52pm
anytime Greg,
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2007 at 1:00pm
What's a 'frenchy'?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2007 at 1:40pm
JK, Where is Eau Claire, it sounds french
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2007 at 1:55pm
It's in Wisconsin...not your backyard I know, but I have family up there that I should see anyway
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2007 at 10:28am
use to go to Racine every year for trans school, alot of healthy woman up there i do say
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2007 at 11:16am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

use to go to Racine every year for trans school, alot of healthy woman up there i do say

Being the dairy state, it's what all the butter fat produces!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic