Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Just Joined The Forum!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
20th Century View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 20th Century Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just Joined The Forum!
    Posted: August-18-2007 at 1:33am
Hi Guys,

I can't remember how I first stumbled across this site, but it is great to see so many people interested in inboard ski boats like me! I have used the search function a few times to try and answer some questions about my own boat ('73 Century Resorter w/Chrysler 340 and 1:1 Velvet Drive). I bought it in pretty rough shape and it still needs a fair amount of work to be fully functioning. I must tell you, that in the Century boat world I feel like a bit of an outcast as the Century club focuses on wood boats and there is no online forum that I have found. I think the wood boat guys much prefer to do all their socializing at boat shows and it looks like they have a ball. I'm afraid my boat isn't near ready to make an appearance at any show. So I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. I will be posting a very newbie question on the troubleshooting forum and I didn't want anyone to wonder why this Century guy was invading! As Century quit making inboards in the early 90's (really it slowed way down in the 80's) I will definately look for a Correct Craft when I get something modern.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2007 at 1:53am
Welcome. Would like to see a picture of your Century. An engine's an engine. Some of the guys here have 340s in their boats. Marshall Morgan's Mustang comes to mind. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 20th Century Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2007 at 2:14am
Thanks for the welcome bkhallpass. I appreciate the openess with which everyone is treated on this board. I'm glad to hear there are some other 340s out there as they seem to be pretty scarce. I will post a picture as soon as I figure out how to save as a smaller file size. I just tried to upload, but my file size was only 10 times too big!
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2007 at 3:53am
20th Century, welcome to the 21st Century!

Glad to have you aboard. I always liked the lines of the Century and we look forward to hearing some of the story of your boat.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2007 at 4:25am
20th Century,

You have found the greatest bunch of inboard owners you will ever find.

Use the search often, you should find most questions have been raised and answered. If it has, some of the guys will refer you to a previous post, if not you will see a bunch of knowledgeable guys working the problem out. I'm the first to admit most of this is new to me, so the help provided has been invaluable.

Don't get me wrong, it is not all sunshine. People will disagree and call each other out. However, we all benefit from the differences of opinion expressed here.

Welcome to our little secret spot.

Mike
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2007 at 10:21am
20th, Welcome to the group. A 73 Resorter is one of the true fiberglass classics. We can help you restore it better than the Century Boat Club!! We are ready when you are.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2007 at 12:32pm
mt very first boat was a century, it was a v-drive boat, that was in 1986 or so. I wish i still had it, it was odd looking and stuck out in the crowd...I was a little embarrassed at the time to take it to the lake because of its looks, now it would blend in.
you'll get alot of good info here, its an inboard and thats all that matters
"the things you own will start to own you"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 10:12am
My brother has a 1980 Resorter, beautiful boat. Nice cruising boat and it's pretty fast. You will definately find all the help you need around here.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 12:20pm
20th Century
Welcome aboard.
I have a soft spot for the early 70's Century. I did most of my early footing behind two on the lake I grew up on. I learned beach sliders, but back then it was in jean shorts with a life jacket and we would start 30' on shore. The boats were identical brown ones. I"m not sure of the exact year, but what I do remember is the funky throttle.
Like it was said before, you have found a great group of classic boat owners. Most own CC's but there are quite a few with other makes.
Again, welcome
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2007 at 10:25pm
Century? Isn't that a Buick?.... Just Kiddin'
Welcome aboard! bj
hasbeenskier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 20th Century Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2007 at 1:42am
Thanks for the hearty welcome. Yep my boat has the funky throttle. I found out it is a throttle that is/was commonly used in small airplanes and is called a Vernier throttle. I guess Century used it because of the ability to dial in or dial out the speed in very small increments. It takes a little getting used to as "throttling back" is actually accomplished by pushing the throttle in and vice versa. Forward and reverse is a lever on the steering column. Sometimes a third hand would be nice during docking.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2007 at 2:23am
Had the same throttle on our Trojan inboard. BKH
Livin' the Dream

hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2007 at 9:42am
Trojan? Isn't that a.......never mind.
hasbeenskier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2007 at 9:55am
hasbeen, thats a Trojan in and out...board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 20th Century Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2007 at 12:44am
Ok I shrank a couple pictures of my boat. >>>>>>>>>Warning - May not be suitable for all boat lovers. The following images depict graphic scenes of boat cruelty. . .<<<<<<<<<

This is how the boat looked when I first saw it:

The graphics and name are now gone (wife didn't appreciate the name. I said it screams class.

Hull has been improved more since this picture. Interior is also new, but I don't have a current state picture yet. I should next week.

No matter how much anyone begs, the trailer is not for sale!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2007 at 12:57am
What a awesome trailer...gotta love those rims!

Really 20th, we here are just glad to see boats like this get rescued.

Welcome and hope you enjoy it here.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2007 at 12:58am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

mt very first boat was a century, it was a v-drive boat, that was in 1986 or so. I wish i still had it, it was odd looking and stuck out in the crowd...I was a little embarrassed at the time to take it to the lake because of its looks, now it would blend in.
you'll get alot of good info here, its an inboard and thats all that matters

Your boat might be here, there is one on the lake.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 10:24am
it looked just like that one but had it was solid maroon
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 10:39am
Jim, I can't make out the boat name that your wife didn't like. What is it? Yes, I have seen quite a few names on the backs of boats that I've often wondered what the owner was thinking about! Some on wood boats as well! I'm not a prude but there is a time and place for everything and some came right out of the mens locker room.

I also feel that if the boat isn't at least 35' long or not made from wood, then the boat shouldn'd have a name on it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I also feel that if the boat isn't at least 35' long or not made from wood, then the boat shouldn'd have a name on it!

Gee, I guess by your criteria Pete, the Miss Budweiser would be just some red boat. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Gee, I guess by your criteria Pete, the Miss Budweiser would be just some red boat. BKH

Brian, I ment our small runabouts / utilities!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

it looked just like that one but had it was solid maroon

Its here, ill have to get a pic.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 4:13pm
That's a Resorter 16.    They didn't make a whole lot of those. Nice boat. Just don't ride sitting up on the top of the seat.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 5:27pm
I knew what you were saying Pete. Just giving you some grief BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 20th Century Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 8:33pm
Peter,
Boats name was "Honeyhunt". I guess the wife had a point.

Riley,
You are dead on about it being a Resorter 16. The fiberglass crossmember behind the front seat gives it away. I have to admit that riding on top of the seat is my favorite spot, but if it gets too rough I slide down on the bench. Incidentally, it is the only Resorter 16 I have ever seen or read about with the 340. It could possibly be a re-power but the serial number on the engine is correct for 1973.

Eric,
Yours must have been an Arabian. Did it have exhaust above the water line?
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2007 at 9:09pm
Thats a nice looking boat . Welcome to the sight .We welcome all kinds of makes and models . Mostly inboards , but there are others . Where are you located ?
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 2:01pm
I dig the old Centurys myself.
I almost bought a fiberglass Coronado hardtop. Funky as hell and huge. Had a 440 in it. Still looking out for one of those.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 2:16pm
I learned how to ski behind a century about 15 years ago. It was low to the water, was not a V drive, I think it had a 340 in it. It was probably 16-17 ft long. It had a ski pole behind the engine, closed bow, and lights on the platform to tell the skier when the engine was in gear. The biggest problem was it did not have a tracking fin on it.

Anybody know what it was? I have never seen one other than this one.

Tim

ps- ryan, this one was before leahys '86 sn they had.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 2:32pm
20th Cent, I like riding up there too. I had a friend that a new 73 Resorter 16 with a 340 Chrysler. It's a much different hull than the Resorter 18, and can roll if you hit a wake the wrong way. This guy's boat had about 50 hours on it back in 1973 when he and a buddy that were racing another boat hit the wake the wrong way and got thrown out of the boat. The new Resorter 16 went about 5 miles across the lake full speed and hit a cement block retaining wall.

Next year he had a new 1974 Resorter 16 that had a 360 in it. They were both nice boats, same color as yours.

My brother's 1980 Resorter is a real attention getter. There's not many of them around that are in good condition.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 20th Century Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2007 at 2:37am
BehindProp,
I wonder if it was a ski fury. I have never seen one in person, but it was a 16 footer and did have the larger (340 vs. 318) engine due to its ski designation. It didn't have a traditional windshield, it was short, heavily tinted plastic and tilted outward. Just a shot.

P/allen,
I am in Indy, but the boat is in NW Indiana about 20 miles from Lafayette. There is only one other Century that I know of on the lake I frequent. There is a white American Skier that is in an open sided boat house that I have never seen out on the lake. There is also a '68 Barracuda with a 318 on the lake. After that the interesting boats are pretty scarce. Most of the newer ski boats are MC, Malibu and Tige. I'm not sure why there aren't more Nautiques. Oh, there is one sport Nautique. Nice.

Raindog,
Coronados can be found pretty easily, but good ones are pricey. They are huge with 3 rows of seats.

Riley,
That story of the driverless boat just hurts.

I love 'em all!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic