Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

fuel tank

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
msbarracuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msbarracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fuel tank
    Posted: August-07-2007 at 10:08pm
Recently discovered rusted out fuel tank. Are there any replacement options out there or should we consider having ours repaired? 1971 Barracuda.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2007 at 10:25pm
Do a web search on Tempo Fuel Tanks, do not remember the number, but yes they make a direct replacement...........boat dr
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 12:39am
Here's a tempo compared to the original metal one. The only thing that is different is the vent placement and it's 18 gallons.

Tim D
heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2007 at 2:48am
I put that same composite tank(pictured above) from tempo in my 66...works great. I had the same problem. My original was rusted to badly to be restored.
'cuda
dborrelli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dborrelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2007 at 8:11pm
I recently replaced my old fuel tank with the tempo tank. Everything is great except that the vent is on the other side. Since the vent is so close to the vent on the stern, the vent hose had to be shortened causing gas to leak when the boat is at a steep angle.   is there any simple way to fix this or did i do something wrong?

db
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2007 at 8:39pm
Extend the length of the vent hose and make a loop, this will keep the fuel in and let the air out...........boat dr
dborrelli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dborrelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2007 at 4:50pm
I thought of that but wasn't sure if fuel (in the loop) would block the vapors from escaping.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2007 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by dborrelli dborrelli wrote:

I thought of that but wasn't sure if fuel (in the loop) would block the vapors from escaping.

I think you may be misunderstanding a bit. The loop would be higher than the tank (meaning upwards not a downward loop) so there wouldn't be any fuel in the loop itself. The vapors can still get out no problem.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
dborrelli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dborrelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2007 at 5:47pm
I understand but the way it is now, the hose already goes as high as possible then loops down to the vent and somehow fuel still leaks out. This is why i was wondering that if there is a loop, the fuel could actually block the vapors from escaping. Regardless Ill try it out.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2007 at 5:53pm
I think they mean more "spiral" than "loop" like a roller coaster.
dborrelli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dborrelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2007 at 6:04pm
that would make more sense.
dborrelli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dborrelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2007 at 6:07pm

see the issue. the spiral might work
61Compact View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 61Compact Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2007 at 6:41pm
Dangerous in that you defeat the purpose of the vent. It is now a trap.
61 Compact Skier - Smokey IV
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2007 at 7:59pm
As DB pictured the loop, it does form a trap but I'd say it's not dangerous because it wouldn't take much pressure to push the slug of gas out of the bottom but you will still get gas out the vent. I've had better luck turning the loop 90 degrees so the loop is a downward spiral back to the tank. You can even form several loops making it even harder for the gas to spill out the vent. We didn't have a problem with the 77 all summer long.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2007 at 8:32pm
Pete, did not do a good job of explaining how my loop layed.There is not enough room to lay it out vertical, as this would act as a pee trap on a sink.
I did a loop but layed it flat on the tank, has worked well.Fill rate good and no puking backing down the ramp......boat dr

dborrelli,the idea is good the principal sound, but there ain't that much room in my boat,see above discription.......
dborrelli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dborrelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2007 at 8:48pm
yeah   **the diagram is not to scale** but it does show my concern. I think there is about 6 inches from the top of the tank to the vent. If I can find a flexible enough hose i will try more of a corkscrew than a loop and let you know how it goes.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic