FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lost Reverse

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lost Reverse
    Posted: August-26-2004 at 1:52am
Took the boat out today. Everything was working great. Ran it wide open as I crossed the lake, topping out at 46 mph. When I pulled it back and approached a dock on the other end, I suddenly had no reverse????

Didn't hear anything and no transmission fluid in the bilge. Plenty of travel on the linkage. Even removed the cable and tried shifting by hand. The lever goes back but reverse never engages.

Full power in forward, got it back up to 46 mph but still no reverse. Plenty of fluid - still a deep red.

Any ideas???

Thanks,
Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2004 at 2:04am
I haven't looked at the Velvet Manual in quite a while but, can't you check the pressure in the control lines (while in forward and then reverse) to give you some insight into the problem?
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2004 at 4:21pm
Hi Keith
I had exactly the same thing happen quite a few years back.After looking at your diary section story on your boat, I think you broke the same part that was broke when you got the boat. That would be your reverse clutch plate(part #18 on page 16 and 17 of the Velvet Drive service manual).

Since it looks like you did the work before it should be pretty straightforward

Like I said I had exactly the same symptoms, checked all the other possibilities and hoped it was an easy adjustment or something but the bad news was the clutch plate had a split from the inside to the outside allowing it to spread and the teeth wouldn'd engage the ring gear. Forward worked great and no funny noises, good fluid.

Hope your problem is easier but that's my gut feeling.

Since you're from Eastern Mass there is a Velvet Drive distributor not far from you in
Topsfield Mass. It's Atlantis Marine Gear Supply 978-887-0001 probably about an hour away and they would have everything you might need to get going again with no waiting for the UPS guy to deliver parts.

Their website is www.marinetransmissions.com
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2004 at 4:56pm
Thanks KENO,
If it is the reverse ring, I wonder how it could go? It wasn't like I jamed into reverse at high RPMs or anything. I backed it out - working fine, crossed the lake and then simply no reverse. I've been using it for two seasons now since the trany rebuild with no previous problems.

I was hopping that maybe running at 4600 RMPs stired things up and something could be clogged. Probably wishful thinking.
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2004 at 6:01pm
Hi Keith
When mine died I had the same question. It worked fine with no hint of a problem, then I was pulling into a dock and....no reverse!
No warning, no noises, no nuthin....just no reverse,ran great in forward still but no reverse.

Don't know why it happened. Something like a high idle speed can cause it over a period of time

Good luck, hope you find a simple problem
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2004 at 1:38pm
KENO,
A friend I was skiing with at the time it happened also recommend Atlantis Marine Gear Supply so I contacted them.

You're right, it looks like I broke the reverse ring in my transmission. I came to the conclusion it was caused by a slight forward rotation I have in the drive shaft while the boat is in neutral. This was a problem that existed after I rebuilt the transmission two seasons ago. There wasn't a lot of forward rotation, just enough to notice if you let the boat idle in neutral for a minute or two - which I didn't do that often so it wasn't a real problem.

What I realize now is that when shifting to reverse the transmission was never able to come to a complete stop. Because it had no true neutral, it went right from forward to reverse. After two seasons, the reverse ring must have weakened and snapped (although I heard nothing and didn't notice any symptoms).

This is the only cause I can think of as the boat otherwise performs perfectly. The idle is low and when shifting to reverse previously I had absolutely no issues.

I was assured that I can do no further damage to the transmission by running it so I'll probably try to salvage the rest of the season (which is just Sept. for us in New England) using it without reverse and then rebuild it this fall either doing it myself or putting up the $500 and dropping it off at Atlantis Marine.

If I do it myself, I just need to figure out what I did wrong when reassembling to cause the slight rotation neutral.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2004 at 4:23pm
Hi Keith
I could be all screwed up here,but I don't think this little bit of creep would bother anything meaning that you shouldn't blame your rebuild job. As a matter of fact I think the creep is normal. (at least in my boat it is)

If you think about it, when you are going forward and want to put it in reverse you slow down and at some point you go thru neutral to get to reverse, but the forward momentum of the boat keeps the shaft turning forward because the prop is still turning while the boat is gliding thru the water. (as long as the boat is moving the prop is turning and I know you,me or anybody else doesn't coast to a complete stop before shifting to reverse)Then when you put it in reverse, the shaft reverses direction rather gently as long as the idle speed is reasonably low and you're easy on the throttle. The transmission is built to handle this.

I think your clutch plate just didn't feel like playing anymore and decided to break. When you look at that plate, it ain't the strongest looking piece of metal or in some cases fiber.

By the way, you run a great website here, it's on top of my list of favorites.

Ken
nms1991 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nms1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2004 at 2:16am
KENO also check the return spings for the reverse clutch piston to see if the reverse clutch plate cut into them. they are pretty cheap undr a buck each.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic